Dean Ashton

LeazesMag

There are two attacking elements for which there is no substitute- pace and natural width. This season we've lacked pace up front with Shearer at 35 and Ameobi looking like he's around the same age. When Roeder brought back Zog and Nobby it gave our team a shape again- but we still lacked that bit of zip- which is why we've relied so heavily on young Charlie.

Bellamy had his faults but he had more of an impact on the side than any other player.

The past is the past but we desperately need to sort of striker who can work the channels, chase clearances and should the opposition dare to play a high line, sit on the shoulder of the last defender and look for the ball in behind. If you don't think we've missed that, I'm at a loss.

136442[/snapback]

Correct mate, this business about our defence as j69 said earlier, well the first art of defending is to be offensive and keep the ball yourself, by virtue of having outlets of your own. Invite pressure and your defence is struggling. Seems like he doesn't understand this. People like Craig Bellamy transform defence into attack in an instant. He needs 2 men to mark him so the opponents find it more difficult to put pressure on you when they attempt to.

136445[/snapback]

I tried to explain that very point to him last night. His constant pressure at one point was one of his greatest assets in my opinion, however with the improvement on his goal scoring he is an even more complete player now.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two attacking elements for which there is no substitute- pace and natural width. This season we've lacked pace up front with Shearer at 35 and Ameobi looking like he's around the same age. When Roeder brought back Zog and Nobby it gave our team a shape again- but we still lacked that bit of zip- which is why we've relied so heavily on young Charlie.

Bellamy had his faults but he had more of an impact on the side than any other player.

The past is the past but we desperately need to sort of striker who can work the channels, chase clearances and should the opposition dare to play a high line, sit on the shoulder of the last defender and look for the ball in behind. If you don't think we've missed that, I'm at a loss.

136442[/snapback]

Correct mate, this business about our defence as j69 said earlier, well the first art of defending is to be offensive and keep the ball yourself, by virtue of having outlets of your own. Invite pressure and your defence is struggling. Seems like he doesn't understand this. People like Craig Bellamy transform defence into attack in an instant. He needs 2 men to mark him so the opponents find it more difficult to put pressure on you when they attempt to.

136445[/snapback]

I tried to explain that very point to him last night. His constant pressure at one point was one of his greatest assets in my opinion, however with the improvement on his goal scoring he is an even more complete player now.

136460[/snapback]

Even more if you consider that a defender under pressure can clear the ball wide into space, whereby a player with the desire of Bellamy is away already and will get to it first, or even a midfield player moving forward with the ball, he will run wide or forward and the opponents are on the back foot. It's just great play, fantastic determination, and unstoppable only by the very top defenders of equal pace and desire.

I need a banging my head against a brick wall smiley. Hes still not coming back lads! dont know if you noticed but owen isnt exactly slow. Remember, that player we bought to replace bellamy. The player whos goals to games ratio shits on bellamys. The player whos in the papers for the right reasons.

Yes hes had a bad run with injuries this season but his injury record is still favourable compared to bellamys. Weve got a better player in owen than we ever had in bellamy and hes here, at our club! So why the fuck are people still whining over a player that left over a year ago!

Fuck it, lets get saha back, hes kept nistlerooy out the team this season. Lua Lua has played much better since he went to pompey too, lets have him. Distin, better than a lot of our defenders, lets bring him back an all.

Move on with your lives FFS. Its not 2003 anymore. We got a new team, a new manager, a new captain, and a summer ahead to buy some good players. I for one am glad we got shot of bellamy cos he was one of the biggest pricks to ever have the honour of wearing the black and white shirt.

I need a banging my head against a brick wall smiley. Hes still not coming back lads! dont know if you noticed but owen isnt exactly slow. Remember, that player we bought to replace bellamy. The player whos goals to games ratio shits on bellamys. The player whos in the papers for the right reasons.

Yes hes had a bad run with injuries this season but his injury record is still favourable compared to bellamys. Weve got a better player in owen than we ever had in bellamy and hes here, at our club! So why the fuck are people still whining over a player that left over a year ago!

Fuck it, lets get saha back, hes kept nistlerooy out the team this season. Lua Lua has played much better since he went to pompey too, lets have him. Distin, better than a lot of our defenders, lets bring him back an all.

Move on with your lives FFS. Its not 2003 anymore. We got a new team, a new manager, a new captain, and a summer ahead to buy some good players. I for one am glad we got shot of bellamy cos he was one of the biggest pricks to ever have the honour of wearing the black and white shirt.

136471[/snapback]

Basically we are "whining" because as Owen is the replacement for Shearer [that is unless you think the club has another player of the stature of Shearer costing 15m quid lined up] and Bellamy alongside Owen would be a top notch partnership like Shearer/Ferdinand and Cole/Beardsley.

We realise its unlikely he will come back, but it depends on the new manager and the clubs finances.

While you make posts saying that players who aren't fit to tie his laces "are better because they have scored a few more goals" expect to have the type of response you get.

A bit strange that Blackburn with a shit dressing room have finished higher than us with a good dressing room, while ourselves with a shit dressing room a few years ago also finished higher than we have just done with a good dressing room. How do you explain that if we are "better off".

And as for being a prick, well I can name you dozens of pricks that have played for the toon over the years, but my idea of a prick is a player who plays like a prick on the field, especially the ones that don't give a toss ie Arsprilla, a wanker and waste of space of the highest order.

Edited by LeazesMag

I need a banging my head against a brick wall smiley. Hes still not coming back lads!

I'm not saying he is- what I'm disagreeing with is the statement that we haven't missed his contribution to the side because we have.

I won't deny he's a mouthy troublemaker and maybe some felt this outweighted his efforts on the pitch, but even then I find it hard to fathom that we haven't missed him.

Owen is a different sort of player all together. Far better finisher, but won't chase down nothing balls like a rabid dog. It's the combination of pace and workrate that's been lacking.

The point that we HAVE missed Bellamy should give the manager an indication of the sort of striker we should be looking for in the summer- and not just a big Shearer replacement.

Guest alex
Shame we didn't get him a year or two ago.

He played with Chopra for the England youth teams.

Owen, Bellamy and Ashton would be a canny 3 forwards at the club.

135675[/snapback]

Hindsight.

136145[/snapback]

What, that Bellamy was a top player ?

136393[/snapback]

No, that we should have signed Ashton.

136471[/snapback]

Who said he is? I believe some of the points are in regards to your comment which said

I cant believe people actually think our shit season would have been any different with bellamy playing for us. We might have had a few more goals but it wouldnt have stopped our woeful displays and our kamikaze defending that kept us in the bottom half of the table for most of the season!

We have replied offering you some constructive points regarding as to what Craig Bellamy the player could have brought to NUFC. Yet you continue to reply with little comments about rose-tinted glasses, people thinking he’s as great as Pele calling us "Bellamy Lovers" whilst telling us to get over it rather than tackle the points that have been raised. :D

Our defence wasnt particularly impressive when bellamy was at the club, we just managed to score one more than the opposition. Bellamy can close down and pull out to the wings as much as you like, still wouldnt have stopped boumsong and our defence having the season they had. You make it sound like opposition teams never got out of their own half when bellamy was here.

and Leazes, you lost me with the whole good dressing room shit dressing room thing. and as for me apparently ignoring everyones points, you have all done the same to mine by continually failing to understand that if we hadnt sold bellamy he wouldnt have had as good a season as he has.

Our defence wasnt particularly impressive when bellamy was at the club, we just managed to score one more than the opposition. Bellamy can close down and pull out to the wings as much as you like, still wouldnt have stopped boumsong and our defence having the season they had. You make it sound like opposition teams never got out of their own half when bellamy was here.

Defending is not all about our centre halfs and keeper keeping the ball out of the back of the net. By defending all over the park and winning the ball in "defending" how do you think we get possession and build our attacks from. Yes there is no doubt that Boumsong etc would still drop their clangers at times but by winning the ball anywhere on the park and retaining possession would you not agree would put our defenders under less pressure?

You talk of our previous campaigns with Bellamy having had nothing to do with defending and that of scoring one more goal than the opposition. How do you think we get possession of the ball, by players closing down and tackling all over the park, now I am obviously not saying Bellamy done all this himself but like has been stated the urgency of his play, helped the team as a whole have a greater urgency and yes defend better as a team, because retaining possession of the ball means the other team cannot score as many as they do not have it whilst we have more opportunities to score and therefore win matches.

We are also not saying that teams never got out their half, however I do not believe anyone who watches the matches cannot see the difference in the team defending as a whole with the likes of Bellamy chasing things down and in turn our midfield pushing up and having Shola and Shearer inviting the opposition onto us.

136471[/snapback]

You actually need a "I can't read peoples posts properly" smiley. At no point have i ever said he's coming back, because he isn't, though he should be.

Owen is Shearer's replacement, not Bellamy's if you need that explained to you theres a previous thread or seven somewhere else with the points outlined so simply even you may just about grasp them.

As for him being a prick, well i haven't spent much time in his company so unlike others i won't claim to know for 100% his entire character and how he behaves every minute of his life.

But even if you are right (by the law of averages you have to be once in your life) nobody gives a shit if the team is better off. Keane and Cantona are two of the biggest pricks to have worn any teams shirt they also made manu far better for their presence and so their manager put up with their downside (including assaulting fans, tryign to deliberately end a players career and numerous other offences).

Go through any team, there will be pricks in there because alot of footballers are, however the better managers keep them because of what they offer, and the Souness' of the world can't handle them and act like a bigger prick than any player and kick them out.

The fact that you in all seriousness think Bellamy wouldn't have made a difference here or has made much of a difference at Blackburn is actually the biggest load of shite i've heard on here, so i apologise for saying your earlier efforts were the biggest.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I'd take Saha, Lua Lua and Distin tbh

137015[/snapback]

Agree on Saha, he has done well at Fulham and manu when fit and Fergie rates him well enough. Also Lua Lua whilst i wouldn't want him as first choice striker as backup he'd be fine.

Distin i haven't watched anywhere near enough of at man city to really say if i'd take him back.

You do know Bellamy isn't the only player of such ability? Why not want somebody who isn't an asshole at your club?

If it was anyone else who hadn't been here before, everyone would be saying how much of a twat they are and that they don't want them here. Bellamy isn't special, and he's gone and gone for good. Get over it.

Souness is at fault for his departure, but if he had stayed here, we'd have had all sorts of problems, so don't say there wasn't reasons to back up his selling.

It's clear he's happy at Blackburn, and he has the right man in Mark Hughes to look after him.

Edited by TheInspiration

136550[/snapback]

...And Bellamy wasn't a defender. He was the best foil we've had for Shearer since Sir Les. Now, you can't tell me that if Bellamy was still here games like Wist 'Am and Blackburn at home would've been the dissapointments they were? No, they probably wouldn't have been. We'd have had more chances on goal, one or two of which we'd probably have put away.

You do know Bellamy isn't the only player of such ability? Why not want somebody who isn't an asshole at your club?

If it was anyone else who hadn't been here before, everyone would be saying how much of a twat they are and that they don't want them here. Bellamy isn't special, and he's gone and gone for good. Get over it.

Souness is at fault for his departure, but if he had stayed here, we'd have had all sorts of problems, so don't say there wasn't reasons to back up his selling.

It's clear he's happy at Blackburn, and he has the right man in Mark Hughes to look after him.

137019[/snapback]

The main reason for these arguments is because we already had him at our club, but one fuckwitt manager cost us him and for a pittance of a tranfer fee. Thats why he gets mentioned more than players of similar stature and ability and why he always will.

As for saying if he'd stayed here we'd have had all sorts of problems, i suppose you mean the problems we had in the past of qualifying for the CL, of having pace in our attack and troublng defences and seeing a player who opposition defences hated marking.

Or do you mean the "cancer at the club" Souness style problems where Bellamy is apparently capable of single-handedly destroying the entire fabric of a football club with his personality.

One day people will relaise that at football clubs what you do on the pitch is ultimately what counts for results and often with your team mates. That all players don't have to get on and be in love with each other, just as in any job you don't like all your colleagues. And that under a competent manager Bellamy is not a big problem. Which is why the team spirit didin't mirraculously improve when he left (unless you actually are stupid enough to swallow Souness' crap) and why Blackburn's, Celtics, wales, and in the past Norwich's team spirits haven't been destroyed.

137019[/snapback]

The main reason for these arguments is because we already had him at our club, but one fuckwitt manager cost us him and for a pittance of a tranfer fee. Thats why he gets mentioned more than players of similar stature and ability and why he always will.

As for saying if he'd stayed here we'd have had all sorts of problems, i suppose you mean the problems we had in the past of qualifying for the CL, of having pace in our attack and troublng defences and seeing a player who opposition defences hated marking.

Or do you mean the "cancer at the club" Souness style problems where Bellamy is apparently capable of single-handedly destroying the entire fabric of a football club with his personality.

One day people will relaise that at football clubs what you do on the pitch is ultimately what counts for results and often with your team mates. That all players don't have to get on and be in love with each other, just as in any job you don't like all your colleagues. And that under a competent manager Bellamy is not a big problem. Which is why the team spirit didin't mirraculously improve when he left (unless you actually are stupid enough to swallow Souness' crap) and why Blackburn's, Celtics, wales, and in the past Norwich's team spirits haven't been destroyed.

137024[/snapback]

Spot on.

And to add a further reply. There are not too many players of Craig Bellamys ability going around, IMHO.

Edited by LeazesMag

Thierry Henry Arsenal 27

Ruud van Nistelrooy Man Utd 21

Darren Bent Charlton 18

Robbie Keane Tottenham 16

Frank Lampard Chelsea 16

Wayne Rooney Man Utd 16

Marlon Harewood West Ham 14

Craig Bellamy Blackburn 13

Aiyegbeni Yakubu Middlesbrough 13

Henri Camara Wigan 12

there you go then, plenty of them going around. And before you give me that shite about 'he has so much more to his game than scoring goals' . . . . . I dont care. Strikers are there to score goals first and foremost, not to help out the defenders or create in midfield, otherwise play him in defense or midfield!

Thierry Henry Arsenal 27

Ruud van Nistelrooy Man Utd 21

Darren Bent Charlton 18

Robbie Keane Tottenham 16

Frank Lampard Chelsea 16

Wayne Rooney Man Utd 16

Marlon Harewood West Ham 14

Craig Bellamy Blackburn 13

Aiyegbeni Yakubu Middlesbrough 13

Henri Camara Wigan 12

there you go then, plenty of them going around. And before you give me that shite about 'he has so much more to his game than scoring goals' . . . . . I dont care. Strikers are there to score goals first and foremost, not to help out the defenders or create in midfield, otherwise play him in defense or midfield!

137040[/snapback]

He has far more to his game than just being a goalscorer

I see there are no Newcastle players in that list .....

There are no trouble making, cuntish twats in the list either. give me nistlerooy over bellamy any day!

137047[/snapback]

That Van Nistelrooy's an angel, he'd never be kicked out for being a disruptive influence would he?

There are no trouble making, cuntish twats in the list either. give me nistlerooy over bellamy any day!

137047[/snapback]

Give me Nislterooy over Bellamy aswell, people aren't obsessed over Bellamy when comparing him to a world class striker.

But "cuntish twat" is your opinion and irrelivent to his contribution to NUFC on the pitch and "trouble making" is Souness' inability to handle him, other managers have and will manage just fine with Bellamy.

But most people can see what a player brings other tha goals, not least asisist and opening space for team amtes with his runs and movment. As well as working his arse off for the team

Bellamy is no Beardsley (few are) but Beardsley's game didn't begin and end with goals and anyone who said it did obviously wasn't watching him closely. Bellamy is the same in that his value to the team is not measured solely in goals, though goals are certainly something he is capable of gettign as he's shown a steady increase over the last few seasons.

137047[/snapback]

That Van Nistelrooy's an angel, he'd never be kicked out for being a disruptive influence would he?

137051[/snapback]

:lol:

Until Souness says he's "a cancer" i'm afraid you can't expect people to then permanently ransack a blokes character and blame him for a whole club spiralling downwards.

When Souness says Ruud is a twat then people like J69 can start to hate him and blame him for everything.

137047[/snapback]

137051[/snapback]

:lol:;):icon_lol:

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, J69.

hardly, he left the ground last week of his own accord after finding himself not even in the squad. tbh hes played half of man uniteds games this season and is still the leagues second top scorer. I can live with him having an ego. Bellamy however thought he was much better than he was and his little hissy fit served no otehr purpose than to turn lots of people against him. Nistelrooy will have clubs lining up for him this summer.

hardly, he left the ground last week of his own accord after finding himself not even in the squad.

137079[/snapback]

Sounds like a hissy fit to be.

No-one's arguing that Bellamy is better than Van Nistelrooy or that he's a better goalscorer.

Stop changing the argument.

1emebig.jpg