Sunday Gossip

Jimbo

Wayne Rooney will be back in action in three weeks. (The People)

And his fellow England striker Michael Owen has slammed any doubts over his World Cup future insisting he will be fit to make the trip to Germany. (News of the World)

The duo's national captain David Beckham, meanwhile, is on the verge of signing a deal that will keep him at Real Madrid for life. (The People)

Beckham's former Manchester United team-mate Ruud van Nistelrooy could be at Old Trafford next season unless the club gets an offer in excess of £12m for the player. (Daily Star)

However, Man Utd's Giuseppe Rossi and Gerard Pique have become the most sought-after players in the country, with a host of clubs aiming to take them on loan next season. (Daily Star)

Chelsea have stepped up their bid to signing AC Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko by offering Hernan Crespo as part of the deal. (News of the World)

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is also in the market for a striker and is planning to prolong Duncan Ferguson's Premiership career by offering him a contract. (News of the World)

Staying on the strike front, Liverpool and Wigan will lose out in their bid to sign Crystal Palace striker Andy Johnson to Everton. (Daily Express)

But not if Arsene Wenger has anything to say about it. He is willing to pay £8m for the player. (Sunday Mirror)

Jose Mourinho will make Feyenoord striker Salomon Kalou his first summer signing. (News of the World)

But Mourinho may end up without Eidur Gudjohnsen, who is a target for Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder. (The People)

Prior to that, though, Roeder's first job as Newcastle manager will be to axe Jean-Alain Boumsong, Albert Luque, Lee Bowyer, Celestine Babayaro, Titus Bramble, Craig Moore and Nicky Butt. (News of the World)

Roeder's a busy man - Newcastle have also upped their bid to sign Blackburn defender Lucas Neill. (Daily Star)

On the managerial front, Peter Taylor will make Ray Wilkins his assistant when he is named Charlton manager. (News of the World)

The pair will only get the post, however, after Wigan boss Paul Jewell turned down the job. (Sunday Mirror)

Jewell, meanwhile, is busy in his efforts to bring back striker Nathan Ellington to the JJB Stadium. (The People)

The Wigan player getting the most attention at present, however, is Pascal Chimbonda. Tottenham had a £3m offer for the defender rejected but will weigh in with a higher bid. (The People)

Another defender in the headlines is Charlton's Luke Young, who is on his way to Germany in the summer... but for club football. Bayern Munich are among the Bundesliga clubs after his signature. (Various)

Another man on the move is Steed Malbranque, who Fulham have transfer listed after he turned down a £50,000-a-week offer from the club - a Craven Cottage record. (News of the World)

Relegated Birmingham will welcome offers in the region of £5m for midfielder Jermaine Pennant. Liverpool are among those willing to pay the fee. (News of the World)

Middlesbrough players have been told by owner Steve Gibson they will have a major say in who takes over as Boro boss. (Various)

If it were up to striker Yakubu, however, the man for the job would be Martin O'Neill. (Sunday Mirror)

But according to sources at Crystal Palace, their manager Iain Dowie will take over the role having revealed he will walk out off Selhurst Park. (Daily Star)

Do we really want someone like Lucas Neill who appears in FA reports almost as much as he does on team sheets?

Do we really want someone like Lucas Neill who appears in FA reports almost as much as he does on team sheets?

135830[/snapback]

Has a thunderous shot on him mind. ;)

If we get rid of all those players at once, then we've fucked ourselves yet again. Bramble deserves a new contract since he's been playing well having came back from injury. Moore is a good squad player and was solid enough when he finally played. Same with Babayaro; keep as cover because our only other LB is Elliot.

Was pleased to see us linked with Gudjonsen though.

No chance are that many players leaving. Every summer they're talking of a clearout and nothing happens. Wouldn't make sense to get rid of Bramble or Moore. I'd keep Bowyer now as well, despite my hatred towards him, we can't afford to get rid of the squad players. They haven't mentioned Faye either, I'd have thought that'd be quite high up the 'to exit' lists like..

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Harper to leave stories and kiddas saying that he's a class keeper.

This said, I think there are a canny few players we could get shot of, decreasing the wage bill (not many could be sold, mostly free's).

Robbie Elliot (*)

Lee Bowyer (*)

Amady Faye

James Milner £3M (sounds like he is away though I'd keep him)

Luque £6M (If we could get decent money Id let him go as that money could be better used) *

Lee Clark

Chopra (*)

Nicky Butt

The above with * I think would need replacing like for like. We need a new LB. I also think we need two new forwards. One to play up front with Owen and another to develop perhaps. Another reason why I would keep Milner. If we're short of cash, he can play right (back up for Nobby) or up front. Could save us a few pennies. Prob being he wants to start every week and while he shone for villa, Im not sure if he could start each week for us (though would make the bench).

If Bowyer, Butt, Faye and Clark left we'd need definately two new CM coming in. We have good options with Emre, Parker and Dyer but would leave us short on cover. But this would be 4 out and 2 in.

For me its not necessarily about shrinking the squad being a problem, its having those players in reserve / on the bench good enough.

If we could Id then also like to see at least one good CB come in. If it meant selling Boum then so be it. Bramble & Moore are decent and of course we'll have Taylor fit. The Woodgate / Campbell scenario, one of, would be just the thing.

Getting rid of Bramble, who's form has actually picked up and is FINALLY showing he can play at the top level, and replacing him with Lucas Neil makes about as much sense as the Old Testament. What I'm trying to say is that it's bollocks.

Getting rid of Bramble, who's form has actually picked up and is FINALLY showing he can play at the top level, and replacing him with Lucas Neil makes about as much sense as the Old Testament. What I'm trying to say is that it's bollocks.

136113[/snapback]

Reports today suggest Bramble will be offered a new deal, so I think its safe to say it is bollocks

136113[/snapback]

Reports today suggest Bramble will be offered a new deal, so I think its safe to say it is bollocks

136116[/snapback]

Neill = RB

Bramble = CB

Lazaridis = Newcastle

(Jets) :D

Guest alex
If Souness was linked with Neill there would be hell on.

136148[/snapback]

To be fair to him, he's a good player, much better than Ramage and Carr.

136213[/snapback]

It was more that he'd be 'shite' if Souness had still been here and gone in for him.

If Souness was linked with Neill there would be hell on.

136148[/snapback]

To be fair to him, he's a good player, much better than Ramage and Carr.

136213[/snapback]

It was more that he'd be 'shite' if Souness had still been here and gone in for him.

136221[/snapback]

I know, shouldn't really have quoted you.