Sell before you buy...

Scottish Mag

New Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder must offload the Magpies' misfits before launching a major reshuffle of his squad.

Roeder has been promised money to sign a replacement for Alan Shearer undefined with Chelsea's Eidur Gudjohnsen top of his hit-list.

But with Newcastle set to record major losses in the current financial year, Roeder will have to oversee a successful summer clear-out before he can make other major signings.

United's situation is clear from the fact that they are prepared to sell James Milner to Aston Villa this week for £3 million.

But Jean-Alain Boumsong, Nicky Butt and Albert Luque also need to be moved on before Roeder - who is also eyeing Arsenal defender Sol Campbell - can make wholesale changes.

Meanwhile, confirmation of Roeder's permanent appointment has been put back by 24 hours to Tuesday.

New Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder must offload the Magpies' misfits before launching a major reshuffle of his squad.

Roeder has been promised money to sign a replacement for Alan Shearer undefined with Chelsea's Eidur Gudjohnsen top of his hit-list.

But with Newcastle set to record major losses in the current financial year, Roeder will have to oversee a successful summer clear-out before he can make other major signings.

United's situation is clear from the fact that they are prepared to sell James Milner to Aston Villa this week for £3 million.

But Jean-Alain Boumsong, Nicky Butt and Albert Luque also need to be moved on before Roeder - who is also eyeing Arsenal defender Sol Campbell - can make wholesale changes.

Meanwhile, confirmation of Roeder's permanent appointment has been put back by 24 hours to Tuesday.

135866[/snapback]

the impact of selling the bad egg Bellamy for a pittance, and the other bad egg Robert by the previous was indeed a master-stroke, as some people on here agreed

135866[/snapback]

*plays devils advocate here but....

surely that cannot be true? after all we are one of the top 5 clubs in the country and ran better than almost all of the others, we couldnt make a loss our chairman is perfect. He tirelessly works to promote the club and has a business brain that makes Bill Gates look like Bob Murray. Hes scoured the world for a top manager and is about to make an announcement this week that will make the rest of the Premiership quiver in their boots.

I blame Shearer meself like :D

135866[/snapback]

*plays devils advocate here but....

surely that cannot be true? after all we are one of the top 5 clubs in the country and ran better than almost all of the others, we couldnt make a loss our chairman is perfect. He tirelessly works to promote the club and has a business brain that makes Bill Gates look like Bob Murray. Hes scoured the world for a top manager and is about to make an announcement this week that will make the rest of the Premiership quiver in their boots.

I blame Shearer meself like :D

135875[/snapback]

Double edged sword PP. The alternative is having a board that doesn't run the club well enough to have the money in the first place. Now THAT is a shit board not running the club with ambition.

We accept Souness was a shit appointment, most of us do that. It guts me that we are in this position because of his stupidity, because myself and a few others like Renton and HTL saw it coming, which makes it even harder. For what its worth, I think bringing Bellamy would be the best possible 6m quid or whatever fee is his clause, that the club could spend. We will not get a better player for that price, or would be very lucky or smart to find one, and that is all that matters. But that depends on the new manager and the clubs finances.

I take it that as story along the lines of "Toon have £30m transfer pot" would mean LM would praise FS for not giving Souness any money in January and of course his ongoing wonderfulness.

I guess the truth on the money lies in between the two extremes especially since an extra £3-4m for Bellamy (yeah, right) doesn't make that much difference in the big picture.

Double edged sword PP. The alternative is having a board that doesn't run the club well enough to have the money in the first place. Now THAT is a shit board not running the club with ambition.

We accept Souness was a shit appointment, most of us do that. It guts me that we are in this position because of his stupidity, because myself and a few others like Renton and HTL saw it coming, which makes it even harder. For what its worth, I think bringing Bellamy would be the best possible 6m quid or whatever fee is his clause, that the club could spend. We will not get a better player for that price, or would be very lucky or smart to find one, and that is all that matters.  But that depends on the new manager and the clubs finances.

135876[/snapback]

As our new manager is going to be Roeder who was here when Bellers was then its fairly certain that we wouldnt be taking Bellamy back and frankly, no matter how good a player is, he is not bigger than this club, he would return with the belief that he could do no wrong, we need him, we called him back, we begged and grovelled to get the master back. He'd be a bigger prick than he already is...

And in case anyone forgets I have it on record from about 6 months ago that we'd take Roeder as manager, cheap option. Its all there exactly as I predicted, I now hope that Im going to be proved totally wrong on what happens next and will support him to the end and more importantly give him the time he needs to bed his own squad in.

Do you agree though LM that if this one goes spectacularly tits up then Freddy has to step aside?

the impact of selling the bad egg Bellamy for a pittance, and the other bad egg Robert by the previous was indeed a master-stroke, as some people on here agreed

135869[/snapback]

The sale of Robert was irrelevant as he was coming to the end of his contract and unlikely to be offered a new one.

I get the feeling that funds are very low at the club, hence the appointment of Roeder, whilst I'm sure that it Roeder needs to sell before he can buy, i think we will find that some of the money gained will go in the bank.

I get the feeling that funds are very low at the club, hence the appointment of Roeder, whilst I'm sure that it Roeder needs to sell before he can buy, i think we will find that some of the money gained will go in the bank.

135904[/snapback]

Well, the last balance sheet didn't look too good. Bur with the miracle of still going into the Intertoto and picking up extra money due to the relatively good final place it could have been much worse.

I think there will be money available, though if not being able to sell some of the failures it will come with a big risk. In the end Newcastle cannot afford another season of transfer failures.

But why the need to put the appointment back 24hrs ?? :D  :D It's not like NUFC haven't had much notice of the requirement!!

Or, is summit afoot?? Hiddink stuck in Russia??  :icon_lol:

135907[/snapback]

Hitzfeld wants a bit longer to look at all the golf courses.

But why the need to put the appointment back 24hrs ?? :D  :D It's not like NUFC haven't had much notice of the requirement!!

Or, is summit afoot?? Hiddink stuck in Russia??  :icon_lol:

135907[/snapback]

Hitzfeld wants a bit longer to look at all the golf courses.

135933[/snapback]

He's also been doing some geaneology to trace his roots and found he has a distant ancestor who was a geordie meaning that he's now "got a feel for the club and city" and is good enough for the job. His previous record of CL wins and numerous titles wasn't enough for Fred but if he can be passed off as a gerdie he's in!

I take it that as story along the lines of "Toon have £30m transfer pot" would mean LM would praise FS for not giving Souness any money in January and of course his ongoing wonderfulness.

I guess the truth on the money lies in between the two extremes especially since an extra £3-4m for Bellamy (yeah, right) doesn't make that much difference in the big picture.

135878[/snapback]

If the club announce that Roeder has a 30m transfer kitty without securing a major sponsorship or something, i would be very worried for the clubs future.

We accept Souness was a shit appointment, most of us do that. It guts me that we are in this position because of his stupidity, because myself and a few others like Renton and HTL saw it coming, which makes it even harder. For what its worth, I think bringing Bellamy would be the best possible 6m quid or whatever fee is his clause, that the club could spend. We will not get a better player for that price, or would be very lucky or smart to find one, and that is all that matters.  But that depends on the new manager and the clubs finances.

135876[/snapback]

As our new manager is going to be Roeder who was here when Bellers was then its fairly certain that we wouldnt be taking Bellamy back and frankly, no matter how good a player is, he is not bigger than this club, he would return with the belief that he could do no wrong, we need him, we called him back, we begged and grovelled to get the master back. He'd be a bigger prick than he already is...

And in case anyone forgets I have it on record from about 6 months ago that we'd take Roeder as manager, cheap option. Its all there exactly as I predicted, I now hope that Im going to be proved totally wrong on what happens next and will support him to the end and more importantly give him the time he needs to bed his own squad in.

Do you agree though LM that if this one goes spectacularly tits up then Freddy has to step aside?

135881[/snapback]

If his hands are tied financially, then its a difficult call, yes ? I am taking the view now that due to the last 2-3 years etc and the heavy spending the club needs to take stock of itself, like it did in the first few years of Bobby Robsons reign. I don't like it but its reality. You can't fault the club for showing its hand and trying to buy the top players. You surely would rather this than not ??? Shepherds position is safe so long as the club is getting capacity crowds mate, or close. Unless he decides himself to stand down, but I think replacing him with someone better will be very difficult. Some of you don't, but I do.

Anyway - Dogless is the major shareholder not Shepherd, so if we aren't happy with the direction the club take, he shouldn't get away with it.

135878[/snapback]

If the club announce that Roeder has a 30m transfer kitty without securing a major sponsorship or something, i would be very worried for the clubs future.

135935[/snapback]

If the club announces that there is a £30m transfer kitty, the asking price of any transfer target would rocket.

Far better to keep schtum when it comes to transfer funds.

135878[/snapback]

135935[/snapback]

If the club announces that there is a £30m transfer kitty, the asking price of any transfer target would rocket.

Far better to keep schtum when it comes to transfer funds.

135940[/snapback]

True

If his hands are tied financially, then its a difficult call, yes ? I am taking the view now that due to the last 2-3 years etc and the heavy spending the club needs to take stock of itself, like it did in the first few years of Bobby Robsons reign. I don't like it but its reality. You can't fault the club for showing its hand and trying to buy the top players. You surely would rather this than not ??? Shepherds position is safe so long as the club is getting capacity crowds mate, or close. Unless he decides himself to stand down, but I think replacing him with someone better will be very difficult. Some of you don't, but I do.

Anyway - Dogless is the major shareholder not Shepherd, so if we aren't happy with the direction the club take, he shouldn't get away with it.

135937[/snapback]

Agreed, that if financially we are strapped then Roeder is going to have a hard job however, what I dont understand is when we got rid of Sourness we were up shit street and looking at possible relegation yet Fatty came out and made one of his spectacular backfiring statements about how we would scour the earth for the best manager possible and he'd already had applications from some unbelievable names......3 months down the line and after scouring the world we find the bloke was sitting in Benton. The cynic in me says that Shep and Dogless used the time to travel the world checking out talent of a different sort with the intention all along of putting in Roeder.

As for Douglas well that fat bastard shouldnt be allowed to breathe never mind take a dividend.

135866[/snapback]

hmmm...