Waiting over for Roeder

janu

From nufc.com

Waiting over for Roeder

The announcement of Glenn Roeder's appointment has finally come as Freddy Shepherd has rewarded the caretaker manager for his remarkable turnaround of the club's fortunes.

Shepherd said about the appointment:

"In the end results are the most important thing in football and Glenn Roeder certainly did that for us. In fact managers stand and fall by results and you could say Glenn won the job."

"Glenn has done the job with dignity and decorum. He now has a two year contract and both of us are happy at that. I must say that Glenn Roeder was our captain and a great servant as a player and he has a great feel for this football club."

A year ago Glenn Roeder strode onto the pitch at St.James' Park to take a generous round of applause from a capacity crowd.

The occasion? Newcastle were entertaining Champions Chelsea in the final game of the season but Roeder's moment in the spotlight was as "half-time hero" and the acclaim came from those who hadn't shuffled off to the bogs or the bar for a beer or bovril.

Twelve months later, former Academy Manager Roeder, has been given the task of leading Newcastle United into Europe and to a serious trophy challenge, rather than grooming youngsters for someone else's first team.

It's an unlikely story and one that will hopefully have a happy ending.

Freddy Shepherd said this was the biggest decision in the club's history and the three and a half month deliberation process was seen as essential to ensure this club got back amongst the top four again.

Roeder deserves a place in the history of this club for what he managed to do last season and for his achievements as player and captain.

If he can follow in Joe Harvey's footsteps - another centre half and captain - and bring a trophy to the club then he will become a true Newcastle legend.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
So thats Shearer to take over in 2 years then.

136546[/snapback]

Or one, seeing as Roeder's salary won't be a barrier to paying him off, if need be.

GLENN Roeder described his appointment as Newcastle manager as "a dream come true".

Roeder, who has been in charge of first team affairs since February, was officially unveiled as the Magpies' new boss as a St. James' Park press conference this morning.

Speaking to Newcastle World TV, Roeder said: "It's hard to describe how I feel at the moment.

"I know all about this club, having played here for almost six years and having captained the club.

"I'm an extremely lucky person to have been given this opportunity, and it is an opportunity I want to take.

"I had almost six years here, and that was an enjoyable time.

"You don't sign three contracts at a club if you don't like living and playing in an area.

"I was aged 33 when I left, and I would have liked to have stayed longer.

"I said that so many times, and if I was ever asked to spend the rest of my life in Newcastle then that wouldn't have been a hardship, that would have been a pleasure.

"But to get the opportunity to come back here last July was great for me. I was happy with the opportunity to live here again, never mind managing the club.

"When came up here as a player, I suppose that having an ambition of managing the team wouldn't have been an option.

"As I went on, and you had asked me a couple of years down the line, I'd have said I'd like to be a manager here one day.

"Now it has happened, it shows that dreams do come true.

"If you work hard and fight for the dream, it proves that anything in life is possible and when the opportunity comes along you have to be ready for it.

"I'm looking forward to the next few seasons now, and I think it is going to be an exciting time for everyone connected with this football club."

"As I went on, and you had asked me a couple of years down the line, I'd have said I'd like to be a manager here one day.

136552[/snapback]

I don't know if his or .co.uk's shit grammar give this the wrong inference, but hasn't he consistently said he doesn't want the job?

Not my first choice...however, as with all NUFC management appointments...I wish him well and back him 100%.

136563[/snapback]

I echo that....

What's with this "sporting ambassador" role for Shearer though? That smacks of Freddie putting his stamp on him to make sure he has 'first dibs' when AS is wanting to return to the game, to me.....

"The people who have had most to say are the very same people who have been turned down by Newcastle United.

"I won't name names, but if the cap fits then let them wear it."

Freddy Shepherd.

allardyceshouts.jpg

? :D

Guest alex
Good luck Glen

136575[/snapback]

Because you'll fucking well need it :D

136576[/snapback]

Miserable bastard :D

136598[/snapback]

Oh aye :icon_lol:

Obviously I wish him all the best, but the more I think about it, the more I think he's a cheap, lazy, uninspired, short-term appointment. I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong.

Good luck Glen

136575[/snapback]

136576[/snapback]

136598[/snapback]

Obviously I wish him all the best, but the more I think about it, the more I think he's a cheap, lazy, uninspired, short-term appointment. I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong.

136616[/snapback]

By no means my ideal choice but now he's in the seat he'll get my backing, he's just what we need at the moment talks a lot of sense, actually knows what he's doing unlike the previous gaffer

Watford finish 7th, next year are relegated.

West Ham finish 7th, next year are relagated.

Newcastle finish 7th.......

Now I don't believe for one minute that we will be relegated, but there is nothing to suggest Roeder is the man to turn us round in the long term. I wish him luck, because as has been said, he needs it.

The question is, has Roeder been appointed because he is the cheap option, he is holding the job for Shearer, or in fact because no-one half decent wants to be at our club because of Shepherd?

Either way, I think we need a change of chairman to move forward.

Good luck Glen

136575[/snapback]

136576[/snapback]

136598[/snapback]

136616[/snapback]

Alex makes an early start on quotable character assassinations to be dragged out when it goes tits up.

:icon_lol:

To be fair to FS he has been put in a position that meant he would find it very difficult to not give GR the job.

136624[/snapback]

He put himself in that position, by waiting so long to appoint someone and by being such a twat no-one else wanted the job (speculation).

Newcastle fans are easily pleased yet again it seems. :D

I'm glad its all over.

If a trophy winner had walked through the door we would have been very pleased, but we have had that with Dalglish and Gullit.

My heart tells me the clubs needs a quieter appointment with less hype and he might quietly get on with the job and do the trick. Hopefully.

Good luck Glen

136575[/snapback]

136576[/snapback]

136598[/snapback]

136616[/snapback]

If this is so, then its down to the reckless excesses and poor judgement of the last manager in recommending his sales and buys to the board