Waiting over for Roeder

janu

Are Shepherd and LM the only people who think that Gullit was a top class, brilliantly successful manager?

Used to think you were one of the better posters because you didn't post jibbering shite.

I'll answer it anyway. I have almost every Mag - ever. A quick browse through those during Gullits time, along with the video footage of the day he joined the club, proves the utter futility of your comments.

Anyone else on here think he was hot stuff? He won 1 cup? I think he's a pr1ck when it comes to management, you'd only have to a little bit of investigating his time at Chelsea to find that out. My dad & uncle were seriously disapointed when NUFC plumped for Gullit.

138372[/snapback]

See above. Also 1 cup more than us, [along with leaving a team that went on to more] which we would have been delighted to win in that final. Correct or not ?

For the record, I wasn't too bothered about Gullit because I wasn't impressed by all the "let me entertain you" crap. And never have been. I did however, hope he would repeat his FA Cup success, being a trophy winner that according to some "we don't appoint"

138391[/snapback]

Well, i've given up on getting much that's sensible out of you a while ago. Shame, i think it's good when people have opposing views, one can learn. People's mind's should have a degree of fluidity to their thinking, not you though. Pure dogma, massive generalisations of other people's opinions, failure to even entertain other's point of view and glimpses of a political outlook that borders on bigotry. You're fast becoming proof that age and wisdom have no correlation.

138419[/snapback]

massively hypocritical in view of the first line of your last post, which was the point of my reply.

Fact also is, whether you choose to re-write history or not, the vast majority of the clubs support was happy with Gullit at the time. Unless you weren't there to see for yourself of course.

138422[/snapback]

So Leazes, do you think it's right to appoint and sack managers purely on the basis of the fan's views at that time?

138424[/snapback]

I'd really like an answer to this, as it's clearly Shepherd's mindset.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Leazes, you have failed to answer any of my points regarding the timing of the dismissal of managers and how NUFC compares to other (successful) clubs. I assume it's because you know it's indefensible.

138411[/snapback]

Renton.....people on here constantly don't answer my questions.

I have answered what I have seen, you are crucifying the board for making one shit appointment, and attempting to re-write history concering the others. I have gave you facts and examples that show the replacement manager is what is important, not the timing.

Manu appointed Ferguson, and Arsenal appointed Wenger during the season. Alex Ferguson was not specifically targetted by ManU . Liverpool also specifically targetted Evans, and the Evans / Houillier partnership, both of which were not successful and were changed because of that.

Newcastle United also specifically targetted Bobby Robson who stayed manager for 5 years because he did well and not because it was a 5 year plan .

Facts.

And things change quickly in football, another reason why "5 year plans" are an utter load of shite.

Are Shepherd and LM the only people who think that Gullit was a top class, brilliantly successful manager?

Used to think you were one of the better posters because you didn't post jibbering shite.

I'll answer it anyway. I have almost every Mag - ever. A quick browse through those during Gullits time, along with the video footage of the day he joined the club, proves the utter futility of your comments.

Anyone else on here think he was hot stuff? He won 1 cup? I think he's a pr1ck when it comes to management, you'd only have to a little bit of investigating his time at Chelsea to find that out. My dad & uncle were seriously disapointed when NUFC plumped for Gullit.

138372[/snapback]

See above. Also 1 cup more than us, [along with leaving a team that went on to more] which we would have been delighted to win in that final. Correct or not ?

For the record, I wasn't too bothered about Gullit because I wasn't impressed by all the "let me entertain you" crap. And never have been. I did however, hope he would repeat his FA Cup success, being a trophy winner that according to some "we don't appoint"

138391[/snapback]

Well, i've given up on getting much that's sensible out of you a while ago. Shame, i think it's good when people have opposing views, one can learn. People's mind's should have a degree of fluidity to their thinking, not you though. Pure dogma, massive generalisations of other people's opinions, failure to even entertain other's point of view and glimpses of a political outlook that borders on bigotry. You're fast becoming proof that age and wisdom have no correlation.

138419[/snapback]

massively hypocritical in view of the first line of your last post, which was the point of my reply.

Fact also is, whether you choose to re-write history or not, the vast majority of the clubs support was happy with Gullit at the time. Unless you weren't there to see for yourself of course.

138422[/snapback]

Not so, as i stated my view then asked others their's. I did not assume them to be one or the other, huge assumptions is your job.

Guest alex

Leazes man, the only reason people won't answer your questions is because you throw irrelevant ones in all the time when your argument falls down. I’m expecting another one any time now. Incidentally how many questions have you avoided in this thread alone?

Edited by alex

Well Leazes, you have failed to answer any of my points regarding the timing of the dismissal of managers and how NUFC compares to other (successful) clubs. I assume it's because you know it's indefensible.

138411[/snapback]

I have answered what I have seen, you are crucifying the board for making one shit appointment, and attempting to re-write history concering the others. I have gave you facts and examples that show the replacement manager is what is important, not the timing.

Manu appointed Ferguson, and Arsenal appointed Wenger during the season. Alex Ferguson was not specifically targetted by ManU . Liverpool also specifically targetted Evans, and the Evans / Houillier partnership, both of which were not successful and were changed because of that.

Newcastle United also specifically targetted Bobby Robson who stayed manager for 5 years because he did well and not because it was a 5 year plan .

Facts.

And things change quickly in football, another reason why "5 year plans" are an utter load of shite.

138433[/snapback]

I am constantly told by my elders that when Van Gaal took over Ajax he stated publicly that he would need 3-5 years to nuture the good young players and turn the team into great one. What does Van Gaal or the Ajax board know about football though, eh? Nowt, obviously :lol:

138372[/snapback]

138391[/snapback]

138419[/snapback]

138422[/snapback]

So Leazes, do you think it's right to appoint and sack managers purely on the basis of the fan's views at that time?

138424[/snapback]

No I don't. Do you think re-writing history is acceptable simply for trying to make a point when you are talking rubbish ?

Do you also think that being the 5th best club in the country over a decade, qualifying 7 times for europe, buying major England players, appointing trophy winning managers and reaching 2 FA Cup finals is the sign of an unambitous club run by a shit board of directors ?

I would really like a straight answer to these questions, not just from you but all the others who think we have a divine right to success like all the stupid bastard Manu fans, and new Chelsea fans, that I never thought I would find at the Toon.

Guest alex
Very interesting interview in the current Mag with the NE writer for the Guardian if anyone gets the chance to read it. Hints massively at who exactly buys players and believes what a lot of us believe in that the board have no long term plan and seem to be run day to day.

138318[/snapback]

yep. but the Guardian is shit

138343[/snapback]

Regarding sport, I would tend to agree. It's a bit churlish to write-off an article you haven't even read though surely.

138360[/snapback]

I haven't read the Mag ?

138383[/snapback]

If you've read the said article perhaps you can tell me what you didn't like about then, rather than making an irrelevent comment about The Guardian.

138387[/snapback]

You said I hadn't read The Mag. I have. I don't read the Guardian for the simple reason that when I have picked it up or read someone eises copy over the years its full of political leftie do gooder shite and the football content isn't any more interesting or informed either, and just as boring. The links that are put up on these message boards show me its just as shite as its always been.

138396[/snapback]

No, I assumed you hadn't read the article. Have you?

138411[/snapback]

Facts.

138433[/snapback]

I am constantly told by my elders that when Van Gaal took over Ajax he stated publicly that he would need 3-5 years to nuture the good young players and turn the team into great one. What does Van Gaal or the Ajax board know about football though, eh? Nowt, obviously :lol:

138437[/snapback]

Cheers for answering my questions.

Proof that if someone can't answer, they don;t bother. And I fail to see the relevance of the comments of Van Gaal when ALL managers say this ie I need time.

Including Souness.

Edited by LeazesMag

Very interesting interview in the current Mag with the NE writer for the Guardian if anyone gets the chance to read it. Hints massively at who exactly buys players and believes what a lot of us believe in that the board have no long term plan and seem to be run day to day.

138318[/snapback]

138343[/snapback]

Regarding sport, I would tend to agree. It's a bit churlish to write-off an article you haven't even read though surely.

138360[/snapback]

I haven't read the Mag ?

138383[/snapback]

If you've read the said article perhaps you can tell me what you didn't like about then, rather than making an irrelevent comment about The Guardian.

138387[/snapback]

You said I hadn't read The Mag. I have. I don't read the Guardian for the simple reason that when I have picked it up or read someone eises copy over the years its full of political leftie do gooder shite and the football content isn't any more interesting or informed either, and just as boring. The links that are put up on these message boards show me its just as shite as its always been.

138396[/snapback]

No, I assumed you hadn't read the article. Have you?

138444[/snapback]

Can't you read ?

Given the money we've spent i think NUFC has under achieved since Keegan left. SBR turned it around for a bit. Given under achievement has been a consistent factor, what has been the common denominator?

I'm well aware that you've seen the club in far worse conditions, so has my dad and uncle, but you're the only one who seems to believe throwing money at a problem is the only answer, well you and FS obviously.

138411[/snapback]

Facts.

138433[/snapback]

I am constantly told by my elders that when Van Gaal took over Ajax he stated publicly that he would need 3-5 years to nuture the good young players and turn the team into great one. What does Van Gaal or the Ajax board know about football though, eh? Nowt, obviously :razz:

138437[/snapback]

Cheers for answering my questions.

Proof that if someone can't answer, they don;t bother. And I fail to see the relevance of the comments of Van Gaal when ALL managers say this ie I need time.

Including Souness.

138446[/snapback]

I have no idea what point you have just tried to make :lol:

138411[/snapback]

Facts.

138433[/snapback]

What do you mean ManU didn't "specifically" target Ferguson? And how did Liverpool "specifically" target Evans in comparison? How did we "specifically" target Robson and not Souness? Because he was (relatively) succesfull, in retrospect? Are you making up your "facts" to suit your argument? Surely not.

The point is, we have a serial history of sacking managers at the worst possible times - i.e. at the start of the season. EVERYBODY knows this. No other club comes close to us. It wouldn't surprise me one iota if the same happens to Roeder next season if he starts badly.

We don't plan, and that is one of the reasons we fail. Not fact, just opinion, but there you go.

Btw, might I add that I agree the reason you keep a manager is because he does well and not part of a 5 year plan (when has anyone other than yourself mentioned that?), but clubs with foresight plan their next manager when things aren't going well, or at least make sound choices when they sack him. We don't.

Guest alex

No I don't. Do you think re-writing history is acceptable simply for trying to make a point when you are talking rubbish ?

It wasn't a history re-write, it was choc-chip's view I thought. Anyway, for the record I thought Daglish would do well, I thought Gullit would do well too but I'm just a fan and at the time I was a lot younger than I am now and I was more fickle and still holding onto the hope that we could easily regain and improve upon what Keegan had done. I was wrong, I admit it. I fail to see how that exonerates Shepherd from responsibility.

Do you also think that being the 5th best club in the country over a decade, qualifying 7 times for europe, buying major England players, appointing trophy winning managers and reaching 2 FA Cup finals is the sign of an unambitous club run by a shit board of directors ?

No, we are ambitious but I criticise where I see fit. Other clubs of comparable size have spent comparable amounts and had more success and I don't attribute that to bad luck. There must be something else going on.

I would really like a straight answer to these questions, not just from you but all the others who think we have a divine right to success like all the stupid bastard Manu fans, and new Chelsea fans, that I never thought I would find at the Toon.

138442[/snapback]

I doubt any Newcastle fan thinks we have a divine right to success. I reckon most think we should achieve more due to the money we spend, the fan base and so on. We are massive underachievers in terms of trophies won (the most tangible form of success) and that's a fairly universal viewpoint.

138411[/snapback]

Facts.

138433[/snapback]

What do you mean ManU didn't "specifically" target Ferguson? And how did Liverpool "specifically" target Evans in comparison? How did we "specifically" target Robson and not Souness? Because he was (relatively) succesfull, in retrospect? Are you making up your "facts" to suit your argument? Surely not.

The point is, we have a serial history of sacking managers at the worst possible times - i.e. at the start of the season. EVERYBODY knows this. No other club comes close to us. It wouldn't surprise me one iota if the same happens to Roeder next season if he starts badly.

We don't plan, and that is one of the reasons we fail. Not fact, just opinion, but there you go.

Btw, might I add that I agree the reason you keep a manager is because he does well and not part of a 5 year plan (when has anyone other than yourself mentioned that?), but clubs with foresight plan their next manager when things aren't going well, or at least make sound choices when they sack him. We don't.

138455[/snapback]

eeerrr...Renton...I've just pointed out that ManU didn't plan to appoint Ferguson...and Newcastle did plan to appoint Bobby Robson ....

Can't quite get my head around the fact that people are denying saying the board is crap, can't appoint big name trophy winning managers and doesn't have long term/5 year plans....when its been going on for months, even in this thread.

eeerrr...Renton...I've just pointed out that ManU didn't plan to appoint Ferguson...and Newcastle did plan to appoint Bobby Robson ....

Can't quite get my head around the fact that people are denying saying the board is crap, can't appoint big name trophy winning managers and doesn't have long term/5 year plans....when its been going on for months, even in this thread.

138461[/snapback]

Ok, you've lost me. How did we plan to appoint Robson when Gullit had the job at the time. There was little or no forward planning at all, and his suitability was obvious, and his availability down to luck. What's more, if you read Robson's autobiography, Shepherd was completely unprofessional in his approach and very nearly lost his man.

138318[/snapback]

138343[/snapback]

Don't you think our track record of sacking people a few games into the season backs up the argument that the board are piss poor at forward planning though?

I simply don't agree. Dalglish particularly, and Gullit and Bobby Robson were all big name and successful managers, that were given ALL the backing to be successful. If they didn't succeed to expectation or hopes, it is their fault and no one elses, they carry the can for performance on the field of the players that THEY choose to keep at the club, or want to bring into the club.

136662[/snapback]

Daglish wasn't given enough time to be successful though, wouldn't you agree? He was sacked far too early and, therefore, wasn't given the necessary backing imo.

EDIT: Totally agree with SLP's and Zico's sentiments too.

136665[/snapback]

I'm astounded. Dalglish was given too long. The man was a total disaster and it became very clearly that he was not going to achieve anything positive at the club. He managed to dismantle an excellent team that needed strengthening leaving us playing negative football even in a Cup Final.

138194[/snapback]

The ridiculous thing was Bridget that he was sacked only 2 games into the season, after spending a lot on signings.

Personally, I think a manager with his pedigree certainly deserved an extra year though (something I was never willing to give Souness because he was a proven failure). How could he possibly have been given less long anyway?

There are all sorts of reasons why that team was dismantled btw, not all of them under Dalglish's control. Plus there were some serious mitigating circumstances why things went pear-shaped in 97-98, not least the loss of Shearer at his peak (compounded by the forced selling of Ferdinand, and Thomasson, who could have been superb, not settling in in time). That's not to say his time here went well, but the timing of his sacking and his replacement by a fuckwit were insane, only to be repeated 5 years later......

138240[/snapback]

I agree that his sacking was badly timed and agree that it's something that Shepherd has made a habit of. There were mitigating circumstances, but they weren't enough to justify Dalglish's ineptitude and his record. For a supposed top class manager, the coaching of the team appeared poor (judged by performances on the pitch). The style of play was negative in the extreme. I think he should have been sacked at the end of that season. Admittedly, expectations were high post-Keegan and Dalglish's appointment seemed a good one but it had become blatantly obviously that he was never going to make a success of it. I actually take the reverse approach, that it was Gullit who was in some ways unfairly maligned following the mess Dalglish had created, although I wouldn't deny that Gullit created enough of his own. However, at least he walked away and didn't demand compensation.

138621[/snapback]

People at the club who had played for Dalglish earlier ie Shearer, Batty, Beardsley - I can't remember who but I heard this - said that he was not the same manager he had been and didn't have the same hunger to succeed. If this is true it would explain how badly we did or how far backwards we went during his time, even though he did a few good things such as signing Given, Solano and Hamann, and restoring the youth policy.

I also think he knew he had a team that only needed tinkering to win the league but he wanted to do it with his own players, hence his massive changes, because if we had won the league he wouldn't have got the credit for it, people would have said it was Keegans team.

All this sort of thing must make the board very wary of choosing managers, because you get the trophy winners, and they have huge egos because of their success. Or lose their appetite for more success because they have already proven themselves. A lot of people in football are like this. Its hard to say without being on the inside and knowing these people. We could have sacked him after the Cup Final, we could have waited until Xmas, I don't really know but if he was going to continue along the lines he went then he wasn't the right man for us at the time. Gullit however has my utmost respect for being big enough to admit he'd made an arse of everything, that is very rare. It also worries me when I think of Shearer not inviting him to his testimonial, I know he fell out with him but its a bit childish to carry on a spat for all this time to such a degree, particularly as a Newcastle supporter like all of us Shearer surely should have gave Gullit respect for those actions rather than the one that Dalglish and particularly Souness took.

If Shearer has aspirations of being a top manager he has to show more flexibility than this when it comes to dealing with people. How many of us would have applauded Shearer for being big enough to bury the past ?

Of course, despite what some of the others are saying about Bobby Robson, it was a planned appointment, he having been first choice before Dalglish 3 years earlier and from that point always was the first choice of the club, but the timing of appointing him was wrong for him.

I know he fell out with him but its a bit childish to carry on a spat for all this time to such a degree, particularly as a Newcastle supporter like all of us Shearer surely should have gave Gullit respect for those actions rather than the one that Dalglish and particularly Souness took.

If Shearer has aspirations of being a top manager he has to show more flexibility than this when it comes to dealing with people. How many of us would have applauded Shearer for being big enough to bury the past ?

I think that's probably due to the fact Gullit still likes to bring up the Shearer scenario whenever he can and have a go whenever humanly possible

Who did Man United want to appoint?

138614[/snapback]

I can't really remember, but I was in Scotland at the time and he was one of many who were touted with the job when it became available, in the normal way.

They had sacked Ron Atkinson because he only won the FA Cup and hadn't won the league despite winning their first 10 games, I think, and finished 4th.

He hovered on the edge of the sack for his first 3 or 4 years or so - whatever - until winning the FA Cup saved him. I was pissed off when he went to manu because having been up there, near Aberdeen, I wanted us to get him at Newcastle.

I know he fell out with him but its a bit childish to carry on a spat for all this time to such a degree, particularly as a Newcastle supporter like all of us Shearer surely should have gave Gullit respect for those actions rather than the one that Dalglish and particularly Souness took.

I think that's probably due to the fact Gullit still likes to bring up the Shearer scenario whenever he can and have a go whenever humanly possible

138763[/snapback]

good point mate, probably right. Faults on both sides then. One of them could bury the hatchet though...Gullit talks sense on telly I think, he's a very intelligent man. Shame he wasn't a good man manager

138763[/snapback]

good point mate, probably right. Faults on both sides then. One of them could bury the hatchet though...Gullit talks sense on telly I think, he's a very intelligent man. Shame he wasn't a good man manager

138766[/snapback]

It's just his ego that's the problem, we all know he likes his 'shesxy football' but he always has to be right or have an opportunity to prove how great he is, whereas Cruyff being just as egotistical and being the greatest European player of all time, he could inspire people whereas Gullit just simply cannot do that

Of course, despite what some of the others are saying about Bobby Robson, it was a planned appointment, he having been first choice before Dalglish 3 years earlier and from that point always was the first choice of the club, but the timing of appointing him was wrong for him.

138762[/snapback]

:lol:

Leazes, you talk a lot of sense in some of your posts, but utter cobblers in others. Robson was NOT a planned appointment. We already had a manager at the time, Gullit. He was sacked and the search for a new manager began. Despite being the obvious choice (and I mean obvious to literally everyone), it took Shepherd several days to contact Robson, and according to Robson in his book, he very nearly cocked it up by offering him such a derisory salary to do the job. Complete incompetence.

It's true that Robson was probably the first choice after Keegan left, but again, how could that be planned? Keegan had quit unexpectedly, there was absolutely no planning involved. So, if you look back in recent history, this is the story.

Keegan - a planned and inspired choice by John Hall, not shepherd.

Dalglish - not planned, but a popular choice who didn't work.

Gullit - not planned, mixed reception, but madness imo considering what had happened to him at Chelsea and his known hatred of our number 9 (before he even took the job).

Robson - NOT PLANNED. Fortunately available at the third time of asking, although Shepherd unbelievably almost cocks up the appointment.

Souness - not planned, Shepherd makes a serious mistake under pressure from Hall jnr (aka shithead), and ends up with 5th choice manager. Unbelievable that he was in the top 1000 candidates really.

Roeder - not planned, Shepherd selects him after a good term as caretaker, claiming yet again he is the fans' choice. Meanwhile, the rest of the football world are pissing themselves laughing at us.

Can you spot a pattern here? Lurching from one disater to the next, almost without respite. When other clubs realise their manager is not working, they PLAN ahead, scouring the world for a good replacement, BEFORE they sack the incumbent. Not us though, which is why we are in the mess we are. Whose fault is this - the boards, of course.

I'll also take issue with one other thing you said in your post. The Newcastle team that Dalglish inherited required a hell of a lot more than "tweaking" to win the league. As a first team it was good, but nowhere near the match of ManU who were coming to their peak. But the squad was poor, and we had scrapped the reserves and all but abolished the youth team. This was compounded by the fact many of the first team players were over the hill (Beardsley being a prime example). I'm sure one of the reasons Keegan left was because he knew the game was up. The task that Dalglish and subsequent managers inherited was a very hard one, not least because it coincided with having an incompetent fool as our chairman.

Gullit - not planned, mixed reception, but madness imo considering what had happened to him at Chelsea and his known hatred of our number 9 (before he even took the job).

To plead ignorance here Renton, why did Ruud have a hatred of Shearer prior to joining us?

To plead ignorance here Renton, why did Ruud have a hatred of Shearer prior to joining us?

138779[/snapback]

Don't know, but he did. He even managed to slag him off when he was a pundit for Euro 96 (just before he joined us).

Gullit was despised at Chelsea, and is probably the only manager of recent times who was ousted in a player's revolt. Ask Zola or Vialli what they think of him. He was never going to settle in Newcastle, not surprising really when he couldn't lower himself to live here, instead preferring to commute from Holland.

Oh, and Leazes says he thinks he is intelligent. In every interview and article I have read about him, he strikes me as being as thick as pigshit.

Canny player though. :lol: