Guest alex
Good luck Glen

136575[/snapback]

Because you'll fucking well need it :D

136576[/snapback]

Miserable bastard :D

136598[/snapback]

Oh aye :icon_lol:

Obviously I wish him all the best, but the more I think about it, the more I think he's a cheap, lazy, uninspired, short-term appointment. I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong.

136616[/snapback]

If this is so, then its down to the reckless excesses and poor judgement of the last manager in recommending his sales and buys to the board

136642[/snapback]

If this is so, it's at least partly down to Shepherd, on both counts.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way, I think we need a change of chairman to move forward.

136620[/snapback]

Totally agree. People can point fingers at Freddie being a good businessman, but SJH handed this club over to him in probably the best condition its ever been in, and we've stood still...even gone backwards with the appointment of Souness.

Good luck Glen

136575[/snapback]

136576[/snapback]

136598[/snapback]

Obviously I wish him all the best, but the more I think about it, the more I think he's a cheap, lazy, uninspired, short-term appointment. I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong.

136616[/snapback]

If this is so, then its down to the reckless excesses and poor judgement of the last manager in recommending his sales and buys to the board

136642[/snapback]

136643[/snapback]

Hindsight.

Nobody always goes forwards. There are clubs that have done better than us that have gone further backwards when they have changed their boards or managers, or both.

Being 5th best over a span of a decade, qualifying for europe 7 times, buying major England players.... ain't so bad

Edited by LeazesMag

I'm glad its all over.

If a trophy winner had walked through the door we would have been very pleased, but we have had that with Dalglish and Gullit.

My heart tells me the clubs needs a quieter appointment with less hype and he might quietly get on with the job and do the trick. Hopefully.

136641[/snapback]

Don't use your heart LM, think objectively. This is based on a limited run when he has been a caretaker. Before that, would anyone seriously contemplate him? Would Liverpool or ManU hire a man with such a sketchy record? Of course not.

We are going to drift for at least another year. We had the chance to hire a proven manager right for the club, who could have made some real fundamental difference to our playing staff and set up, but we have blown it yet again.

Mid-table mediocrity! :D

We had the chance to hire a proven manager right for the club, who could have made some real fundamental difference to our playing staff and set up, but we have blown it yet again.

136647[/snapback]

Who was that then?

Watford finish 7th, next year are relegated.

West Ham finish 7th, next year are relagated.

Newcastle finish 7th.......

Now I don't believe for one minute that we will be relegated, but there is nothing to suggest Roeder is the man to turn us round in the long term. I wish him luck, because as has been said, he needs it.

The question is, has Roeder been appointed because he is the cheap option, he is holding the job for Shearer, or in fact because no-one half decent wants to be at our club because of Shepherd?

Either way, I think we need a change of chairman to move forward.

136620[/snapback]

A little from column A, a little from column B, which has led to C, in my opinion.

This is a total non-event of an appointment for me, I like Roeder, but then I like a lot of people who I don't particularly want managing Newcastle. That said, I'll fully support him for one year, as long as we're not flirting with relegation, I'm sure he'll sleep easier knowing that.

I agree with Freddie, that this was a hugely significant appointment, and he's handed it to a bloke who might get us Europe. He's made me realise that to be a top Chairman in football you must be a top football Chairman. If you appoint the right people, you will win things, and the business opportunities will follow. Unfortunately for Freddie, the opposite is not true. I'm sure he said that Souness was his last throw of the dice as Chairman, and it didn't pay off. Time for him to be a man of his word for a change, and step down.

Edited by DotBum

We had the chance to hire a proven manager right for the club, who could have made some real fundamental difference to our playing staff and set up, but we have blown it yet again.

136647[/snapback]

Who was that then?

136648[/snapback]

Pay me 3 million quid a year and I'll tell you.

Not Roeder, you can have that for free.

Mid-table mediocrity!  :icon_lol:

136647[/snapback]

:D You fucking relish wallowing in this shit, don't you? :D

EDIT: Can I not have a smiley in my sig?

Edited by DotBum

136647[/snapback]

Who was that then?

136648[/snapback]

Pay me 3 million quid a year and I'll tell you.

Not Roeder, you can have that for free.

136651[/snapback]

:D

There are Moooooore questions than answers!

Mid-table mediocrity!  :lol:

136647[/snapback]

:D You fucking relish wallowing in this shit, don't you? :icon_lol:

136652[/snapback]

:D:icon_lol:

Not guilty m'lud. I would love to be jubilant once in a while, but this club makes it damn hard.

At least I'm not a mackem. :lol:

Guest alex
Good luck Glen

136575[/snapback]

136576[/snapback]

136598[/snapback]

136616[/snapback]

136642[/snapback]

136643[/snapback]

Hindsight.

Nobody always goes forwards. There are clubs that have done better than us that have gone further backwards when they have changed their boards or managers, or both.

136646[/snapback]

I'm not saying they do always go forward, you're employing hindsight to blame Souness though, is there some reason why I can't do the same to (quite rightly) apportion at least some of the blame to Shepherd?

I'm glad its all over.

If a trophy winner had walked through the door we would have been very pleased, but we have had that with Dalglish and Gullit.

My heart tells me the clubs needs a quieter appointment with less hype and he might quietly get on with the job and do the trick. Hopefully.

136641[/snapback]

And LM counters Alex with a contrary point of view which can be nailed firmly to the opposite side of the mast.

Let's all hope LM is right about this one and he can glory over us all (but especially Alex) about how right he was when we're rolling in trophies.

Personally, I have no expectations from Roeder whatsoever. Mid-table will be good enough for him as (I'm sure he and Freddy will often remind us in future) "he saved us from relegation". Once again expectations have been lowered and we slip into an Everton type state of mind where we hang around and Europe or a cup run is a bonus.

Problem is, that's how most other managers see us, so until an unproven manager surprises everyone and drags us back up the table no proven manager will come near us. After the joy of the 90's, supporting Newcastle in the 00's has been and will continue to be soul sapping. A change in management can't turn clubs into world beaters anymore. That needs a change in the boardroom.

I'm glad its all over.

136641[/snapback]

Don't use your heart LM, think objectively. This is based on a limited run when he has been a caretaker. Before that, would anyone seriously contemplate him? Would Liverpool or ManU hire a man with such a sketchy record? Of course not.

We are going to drift for at least another year. We had the chance to hire a proven manager right for the club, who could have made some real fundamental difference to our playing staff and set up, but we have blown it yet again.

Mid-table mediocrity! :D

136647[/snapback]

Your head also tells you that the trophy winning managers in the past, Dalglish, Gullit and Souness particularly [despite him being accused of not appointing big name trophy winners] didn't succeed, maybe because these blokes didn't really have their heart in the club enough. So I don't think its fair to castigate the club for appointing someone who has and for looking more closely at their character.

If financial considerations have played their part, then what do you want the club to do ? Surely not risk our whole future while we restore financial stability as we had to do during the first few years under Bobby Robson. I have no problem with the club having to do this, because its a result of at least attempting to be ambitious, which is what we ask of them and is a damn sight better than the vast majority of other clubs that don't have the balls to sign top players and attempt it.

So on this basis, I'm just going to say I obviously hope he succeeds. I would prefer to look at the potential of someone who took a selling club like West Ham to 7th rather than his performance when he nearly died.

I'm not totally convinced, but not many managers would totally convince me apart from Arsene Wenger. They are all a risk. I can see the point of Roeder, he doesn't have to be a big name if he does the trick, I'll support him which I never did Souness, and I certainly wouldn't have done if Bruce or bloody Hoddle had walked through that door today.

Remember the hype of Dalglish and Gullit, and being let down by them ? Maybe, just maybe, less hype and someone working more quietly will do the trick. Hopefully.

I'm glad its all over.

136641[/snapback]

And LM counters Alex with a contrary point of view which can be nailed firmly to the opposite side of the mast.

Let's all hope LM is right about this one and he can glory over us all (but especially Alex) about how right he was when we're rolling in trophies.

Personally, I have no expectations from Roeder whatsoever. Mid-table will be good enough for him as (I'm sure he and Freddy will often remind us in future) "he saved us from relegation". Once again expectations have been lowered and we slip into an Everton type state of mind where we hang around and Europe or a cup run is a bonus.

Problem is, that's how most other managers see us, so until an unproven manager surprises everyone and drags us back up the table no proven manager will come near us. After the joy of the 90's, supporting Newcastle in the 00's has been and will continue to be soul sapping. A change in management can't turn clubs into world beaters anymore. That needs a change in the boardroom.

136657[/snapback]

I simply don't agree. Dalglish particularly, and Gullit and Bobby Robson were all big name and successful managers, that were given ALL the backing to be successful. If they didn't succeed to expectation or hopes, it is their fault and no one elses, they carry the can for performance on the field of the players that THEY choose to keep at the club, or want to bring into the club.

All this Geordie Nation stuff is bollocks though and could hold us back. Yes, it's nice to have an identity, but Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez, and the Portuguese whinge had fuck all to do with the clubs they managed beforehand and have won plenty of trophies.

I was hoping the end of Shearer, albeit a fantastic centre forward, might start the beggining of a more ruthless era where we hoy sentiment out of the window and battle to compete against teams. But no, we're back to this Fat Fred Geordie Nation shit.

All this Geordie Nation stuff is bollocks though and could hold us back. Yes, it's nice to have an identity, but Ferguson, Wenger, Benitez, and the Portuguese whinge had fuck all to do with the clubs they managed beforehand and have won plenty of trophies.

I was hoping the end of Shearer, albeit a fantastic centre forward, might start the beggining of a more ruthless era where we hoy sentiment out of the window and battle to compete against teams. But no, we're back to this Fat Fred Geordie Nation shit.

136663[/snapback]

fucking emabarrasing isnt it :D

Guest alex
I simply don't agree. Dalglish particularly, and Gullit and Bobby Robson were all big name and successful managers, that were given ALL the backing to be successful. If they didn't succeed to expectation or hopes, it is their fault and no one elses, they carry the can for performance on the field of the players that THEY choose to keep at the club, or want to bring into the club.

136662[/snapback]

Daglish wasn't given enough time to be successful though, wouldn't you agree? He was sacked far too early and, therefore, wasn't given the necessary backing imo.

EDIT: Totally agree with SLP's and Zico's sentiments too.

Edited by alex

136663[/snapback]

I hate the idea of him hanging around in the background. Personally, I reckon he might have what it takes so why not just get it over with and employ him now? If he succeeds, great, if not, move on, once and for all.

At the moment the Shearer skeptics are right to question his role in holding the club back, and that I hate to see.

136662[/snapback]

Daglish wasn't given enough time to be successful though, wouldn't you agree? He was sacked far too early and, therefore, wasn't given the necessary backing imo.

EDIT: Totally agree with SLP's and Zico's sentiments too.

136665[/snapback]

The timing of his sacking was insane and has been repeated several times since. No-one can dispute or defend that. Well, apart from LM. :D

I'm not uncomfortable with the choice. I don't give too much about what happened at his previous jobs because I can't see how this is of any relevance for what might happen at Newcastle. As far as I can see Roeder definitely has some coaching skills and knows how to address obvious problems. So Newcastle might the perfect job if he has learnt from previous failures. That is in contrast to the tosser before who because of his lack in character and managing skills had written disaster all over him.

The problem I have his with the appointment his because it his so uninspiring. It doesn't look progressive at all. I hoped a new man (like Hiddink or that kind) would have brough in a new type of more professional football culture with new coaching methods, better match preparations etc. I really hoped Newcastle were taking their time to come up with a though out long term plan how to close the gap to other teams who look well ahead in this department. We ended up with a decent bloke as manager backed up by local chaps as his staff. You don't need more than two brain cells to come up with this idea...

136641[/snapback]

I'd go along with that. Let's leave him to contine the good work done towards the end of the season and see where he takes us.

Dalglish was sacked the week he went out and spent a few million on Nobby Solano iirc. GREAT timing.

136668[/snapback]

Actually yri.

I'm sure Solano played in the '98 final and a few games before.

136662[/snapback]

Why should a manager carry the can for their choices in players, but we can't judge a chairman on his choice of manager and the timing of his changes?