I think I need a new sky digibox

LeazesMag

The old one has been a pain for a while. Not always, but sometimes, when it rains,

the picture goes, and I get the message that no signal is received. It has now doing this. It has always came back when it "dries out" or whatever.

Suppose it could be the alignment of the dish, but how do I know for sure ?

And where is the best place to get a new box, and do I just connect it and go, what do I have to inform Sky of ?

Actually .... I think for the rent we pay them, the thieving bastards should supply replacement boxes.

OR - is there any other alternative apart from cable, I don't bother with sky movies I only want the sport

I had a new digiboxlast year, i dont recall paying for it :D and my old one was years old, so wasnt under any guarantee. I'm sure i just paid the engineers call out fee.

I had a new digiboxlast year, i dont recall paying for it  :lol:  and my old one was years old, so wasnt under any guarantee. I'm sure i just paid the engineers call out fee.

136856[/snapback]

that may have the analogue to digital conversion ?

did they change your dish as well

My brother bought a new digibox on ebay for £50. Came with a subscribers card which he obviously needed to ring Sky up about to activate.

He stuck the card on ebay and got £60 for it! (and a snotty email from Sky 2 minutes after the auctioned had completed saying he'd broken the law and that they'd be beginning legal proceedings....)

3 years later, he's never had a legal letter or anything so got his new box and a tenner in his pocket :lol:

Every SKY box I've ever had has been effected by rain, but it has to be coming down like stair rods to cause a problem.

I had a new digiboxlast year, i dont recall paying for it  :lol:  and my old one was years old, so wasnt under any guarantee. I'm sure i just paid the engineers call out fee.

136856[/snapback]

136973[/snapback]

no ;) (i'd already had sky for years) and no :icon_lol:

I remember my digibox stopped working point blank, i dont mean occassional freezing and losing signal during bad weather...it stopped completely. I rang sky and asked what to do, they said i could get my own engineer which might be cheaper but risked having to pay for parts if they were required or i could pay the standard call out charge for a sky engineer (which i cant remember but was fairly steep) but if the fault wasnt mine i would get the parts free.....i took that option and the gamble paid off as i needed a new digibox, which they supplied that day. Didnt need my dish changing.

Your problem sounds to me as if your dish needs realigning or that your signal where you are is just not terribly strong. Though i think losing signal in heavy downpours is fairly common, i get that too.

Have you tried going to your options and seeing what your signal strength is?

136856[/snapback]

136973[/snapback]

I remember my digibox stopped working point blank, i dont mean occassional freezing and losing signal during bad weather...it stopped completely. I rang sky and asked what to do, they said i could get my own engineer which might be cheaper but risked having to pay for parts if they were required or i could pay the standard call out charge for a sky engineer (which i cant remember but was fairly steep) but if the fault wasnt mine i would get the parts free.....i took that option and the gamble paid off as i needed a new digibox, which they supplied that day. Didnt need my dish changing.

Your problem sounds to me as if your dish needs realigning or that your signal where you are is just not terribly strong. Though i think losing signal in heavy downpours is fairly common, i get that too.

137041[/snapback]

Considering I think it is the digibox or as KN says, the aerial cable, I think I may give them a call tomorrow. How do you mean "if its your fault", what the hell do they think your going to do with your digibox to cause it damage ..........?????????????

If the dish has slighly moved, thats not your fault either ........ ???????

136856[/snapback]

136973[/snapback]

137041[/snapback]

Considering I think it is the digibox or as KN says, the aerial cable, I think I may give them a call tomorrow. How do you mean "if its your fault", what the hell do they think your going to do with your digibox to cause it damage ..........?????????????

137050[/snapback]

true but the thing was i was surprised to get the digibox free really, as i'd had the original one for a few years, i suppose it was because i still subscribed to sky. Dont think the remote control is covered by them though, but i recently bought a new one exactly the same at macros!!

136856[/snapback]

136973[/snapback]

137041[/snapback]

137050[/snapback]

true but the thing was i was surprised to get the digibox free really, as i'd had the original one for a few years, i suppose it was because i still subscribed to sky. Dont think the remote control is covered by them though, but i recently bought a new one exactly the same at macros!!

137074[/snapback]

I'll keep you informed TR, I know you're all riveted

136856[/snapback]

136973[/snapback]

no :icon_lol: (i'd already had sky for years) and no :rolleyes:

137041[/snapback]

137050[/snapback]

137074[/snapback]

Sounds like you were lucky. Everytime I've had a fault on my box, the thieving bastids have tried to get money out of me! ;)

One time (in band camp) I had the "No signal" message and it was just after a pretty bad storm with strong winds and everything! I'd assumed that the wind had knocked the dish out of alignment so I phoned Sky and they said they'd need to send an engineer out to look and re-align the dish if necessary and that as my system was over a year old it would cost me £60 for the call out plus the cost of any new hardware if it's required! I initially said yes and booked an engineer then chopped the cable and re-crimped the end which fixed it so I phoned them back and told them to stick their engineer up their...

Another time, my favourite channels stopped work "There's a technical fault, please try later". Tried several times over the course of a fortnight and eventually phoned Sky. "That sounds like you have a faulty digibox, we'll need to send an engineer at a cost of £60 to have a look and if the digibox is faulty then that'll be an additional cost". Err... bollocks to that I'll go without the fav channels function. Then, several months later, Sky rolled out a software upgrade and suddenly my favourite channels worked again! So I could of ended up paying to fix something that those fuckers ballsed up in the first place!

So, in conclusion, I have two words for all Sky subscribers "Extended warranty".

[/rant]

I've rang them this morning, and they are coming out on Friday.

It is 65 quid, all in. No extra charge for anything. Bearing in mnd I have a feeling it is the digibox or dish alignment, something you can't do yourself etc not too bad. If its the digibox I've scored, in a roundabout way, if I need a new dish or something it would have cost 40 quid or whatever anyway.

I've rang them this morning, and they are coming out on Friday.

It is 65 quid, all in. No extra charge for anything. Bearing in mnd I have a feeling it is the digibox or dish alignment, something you can't do yourself etc not too bad. If its the digibox I've scored, in a roundabout way, if I need a new dish or something it would have cost 40 quid or whatever anyway.

137356[/snapback]

yeah thats the same deal as i had and like you say its well worth paying if you need any new parts. I suppose they make their money from lots of call outs requiring little or no work.

And yes, keep us informed LM, i hate half a story!! :lol:

136856[/snapback]

136973[/snapback]

no :icon_lol: (i'd already had sky for years) and no :rolleyes:

137041[/snapback]

137050[/snapback]

137074[/snapback]

Sounds like you were lucky. Everytime I've had a fault on my box, the thieving bastids have tried to get money out of me! ;)

One time (in band camp) I had the "No signal" message and it was just after a pretty bad storm with strong winds and everything! I'd assumed that the wind had knocked the dish out of alignment so I phoned Sky and they said they'd need to send an engineer out to look and re-align the dish if necessary and that as my system was over a year old it would cost me £60 for the call out plus the cost of any new hardware if it's required! I initially said yes and booked an engineer then chopped the cable and re-crimped the end which fixed it so I phoned them back and told them to stick their engineer up their...

Another time, my favourite channels stopped work "There's a technical fault, please try later". Tried several times over the course of a fortnight and eventually phoned Sky. "That sounds like you have a faulty digibox, we'll need to send an engineer at a cost of £60 to have a look and if the digibox is faulty then that'll be an additional cost". Err... bollocks to that I'll go without the fav channels function. Then, several months later, Sky rolled out a software upgrade and suddenly my favourite channels worked again! So I could of ended up paying to fix something that those fuckers ballsed up in the first place!

So, in conclusion, I have two words for all Sky subscribers "Extended warranty".

[/rant]

137131[/snapback]

you must be unlucky Mr Bass, i didnt have any hassle!

Well - for anyone who gets similar problems. The sky bloke came yesterday, didn't even bother to look at the tv, replaced the dish with a new dish "because it is an old type" [6-7 years], then got a new digibox and just set it up without any questions.

When he fitted the new dish, the old digibox still didn't work, but as soon as he connected the new one...it boomed straight in.

65 quid service enginner charge. Glad I did it now.

Well - for anyone who gets similar problems. The sky bloke came yesterday, didn't even bother to look at the tv, replaced the dish with a new dish "because it is an old type" [6-7 years], then got a new digibox and just set it up without any questions.

When he fitted the new dish, the old digibox still didn't work, but as soon as he connected the new one...it boomed straight in.

65 quid service enginner charge. Glad I did it now.

138768[/snapback]

result LM! B) Like i found, good service and definitely worth the money!

I still have the old white dish, but seems to work fine, so i'll leave it for now.

Was thinking though, must look into my subscription. I have carried on paying the same for so long, i dont even know what channels i actually get for my money :razz: I have sky sports and the entertainment pack (which as far as i can see apart from sky one are nearly all free channels now anyway) So what am i paying for i wonder? i think its nearly £40 a month! :lol: