Footie sticker/trading card enthusiasts wanted...

Meenzer

A plea for help here, and an apology in advance for making you look at Souness' ugly mug.

I've recently rediscovered a bunch of collectors' cards from what must be the 1986 World Cup. There's the best part of 100 of them in all, consisting of various "major" squads (England, Scotland, France, Italy, Germany) and a number of "international all-stars".

Thing is, I vaguely remember collecting them at the time, but I can't for the life of me remember if they came as extras in packets of regular stickers (I presume not, since I've got so many of the buggers), whether there was an accompanying album, and so on. More importantly, in the absence of anything but the cards themselves, there's no sign of who actually made them - so I've no idea if they're Panini or something more obscure, and no easy way of tracking them down online without a bit more information. Unless I'm being exceedingly dense, in which case I'm sure I'll be told about it right away. :lol:

Here's a pic, then - hopefully one of you lot will have collected them at the time, or at least recognise the format or something...

Any help gratefully accepted. ;)

T1_-1_1365198.jpg

EDIT: Thumbnail seems to be a bit screwy, but clicking on it should work...

Edited by Meenzer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's nowt on the backs about who made them?

136947[/snapback]

My apologies, putting them on a pink folder made it less than clear that they're transparent plastic jobbies. There's nothing on the back at all, unfortunately...

Did you colour them all in pink? :lol:

136950[/snapback]

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response, other than this one of course.

Dammit.

Don't look too Panini to me...

1986's Maradona is this one (according to google image search)

1.jpg

136962[/snapback]

that's definitely the panini ones - i remember collecting those! :lol:

1.jpg

136962[/snapback]

that's definitely the panini ones - i remember collecting those! :lol:

136981[/snapback]

I remember felt-tipping a moustache on my Maradona stiker after the hand of god in 86

1.jpg

136962[/snapback]

that's definitely the panini ones - i remember collecting those! ;)

136981[/snapback]

I remember felt-tipping a moustache on my Maradona stiker after the hand of god in 86

137006[/snapback]

"A victory, in the most minor way possible"

:lol:

1.jpg

136962[/snapback]

that's definitely the panini ones - i remember collecting those! ;)

136981[/snapback]

137006[/snapback]

"A victory, in the most minor way possible"

:lol:

137053[/snapback]

I also remember turning the match over from BBC1 to ITV to see if the score was the same !

:icon_lol:

i gather from that you were all kids in 86 then?  ;)

My son was 2  :lol:

137082[/snapback]

I was 12.

i gather from that you were all kids in 86 then?  :icon_lol:

137082[/snapback]

I was 12.

137084[/snapback]

;)

i was 19, married, with a son.......makes you realise the amount of growing up you do in a few short years!

A plea for help here, and an apology in advance for making you look at Souness' ugly mug.

I've recently rediscovered a bunch of collectors' cards from what must be the 1986 World Cup. There's the best part of 100 of them in all, consisting of various "major" squads (England, Scotland, France, Italy, Germany) and a number of "international all-stars".

Thing is, I vaguely remember collecting them at the time, but I can't for the life of me remember if they came as extras in packets of regular stickers (I presume not, since I've got so many of the buggers), whether there was an accompanying album, and so on. More importantly, in the absence of anything but the cards themselves, there's no sign of who actually made them - so I've no idea if they're Panini or something more obscure, and no easy way of tracking them down online without a bit more information. Unless I'm being exceedingly dense, in which case I'm sure I'll be told about it right away. :lol:

Here's a pic, then - hopefully one of you lot will have collected them at the time, or at least recognise the format or something...

Any help gratefully accepted. ;)

T1_-1_1365198.jpg

EDIT: Thumbnail seems to be a bit screwy, but clicking on it should work...

136942[/snapback]

i remember those !

deffo not the usual panini type - they were a kinda stiff, thin, transparant plastic iirc.

these are the panini sets for mexico 86 -

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...prclo=&saprchi=

i gather from that you were all kids in 86 then?  :rolleyes:

137082[/snapback]

I was 12.

137084[/snapback]

;)

i was 19, married, with a son.......makes you realise the amount of growing up you do in a few short years!

137085[/snapback]

I was just turned 9 and about to attend my first ever game at SJP.... :icon_lol:

That's them, excellent bit of detective work sir! :icon_lol:

I'm slightly reassured by the fact that the seller in question doesn't have a clue who made the cards either...

Oooooo, apparently they're very rare!  :lol:

137094[/snapback]

Mind, I say that about everything I sell on eBay... ;)

You see, this is the usual kind of stuff you spend lots of time and pocket money collecting and then your mam hoys them out, you jammy bastid.

137140[/snapback]

:lol: That's pretty much everything I've ever owned, fuck knows how these have survived the last 20 years... ;)

Meenzer, are you collecting this years world cup stickers?

I am, so's that if I have a son next month I can have the album of the world cup from the year he was born.

Got a free album in one of the Sunday papers, can't remember if it was Merlin or Panini tbh.

Meenzer can you remember in first school swapping stickers, i remember having a fistful of swaps and would get 3 normal 1's for a foily! I can also vividly remember Steven Tait kicking Stephen Hill's swaps out of his hand and a free for all ensuing by those all around in a desperate attempt to get new stickers! ;)

Those were the days. Btw, if i'd have known then you were gay i wouldn't have swapped any stickers with you! :lol:

Meenzer, are you collecting this years world cup stickers?

I am, so's that if I have a son next month I can have the album of the world cup from the year he was born.

Got a free album in one of the Sunday papers, can't remember if it was Merlin or Panini tbh.

Meenzer can you remember in first school swapping stickers, i remember having a fistful of swaps and would get 3 normal 1's for a foily! I can also vividly remember Steven Tait kicking Stephen Hill's swaps out of his hand and a free for all ensuing by those all around in a desperate attempt to get new stickers!  :rolleyes:

Those were the days. Btw, if i'd have known then you were gay i wouldn't have swapped any stickers with you!  ;)

137275[/snapback]

Didn't they tell you that playing swapsies would give you the gay lurgy? :icon_lol:

Stephen Hill, bloody hell. Saw him on the High Street a couple of years back, I think he'd mutated (and that's definitely the right word) into a Cradle Of Filth fan, dodgy facepaint and all. :lol: