Hailed by eight fans..

Scottish Mag

Toon Army go AWOL as Roeder is unveiled Only handful of fans turn up, but brave Glenn is so proud to be new manager

GLENN ROEDER began his Toon revolution with a swipe at rival bosses who did not have the "courage" to take on the job ... but he was hailed by just EIGHT fans.

Three years ago this week, the 50-year-old was in an operating theatre having a brain tumour removed and hoping for nothing more than living to see his wife and family again.

Yesterday, Roeder was given the task of succeeding where the previous 17 bosses over the last 51 years have failed - landing Newcastle a domestic trophy.

But his managerial coronation failed to attract the hordes who have turned up to previous unveilings of the likes of Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish and Bobby Robson.

Roeder has already taken hits from Sam Allardyce, Bryan Robson and the League Managers Association in the past month, who opposed the rules being relaxed to allow him the job without a UEFA Pro Licence.

But a defiant Roeder said: "Some of the big names in football management have said that this is an impossible job but nothing is impossible. What they are really saying is they do not have the courage to take this job.

"Three years ago this week I was having an operation that would make what's happened today possible, but I've made it happen.

"I was thinking of survival for my family and kids and I've moved on over the past three years." Chairman Freddy Shepherd has given Roeder a two-year contract, coinciding with the summer in 2008 when Alan Shearer will be fully qualified to become a boss.

However, Roeder is happy with the length of the deal, saying it will "keep me on my toes". and Shepherd insisted: "It's not a holding job". Roeder will open talks with Shepherd this week over his transfer budget. The club stretched itself to sign Michael Owen, Albert Luque and Scott Parker last season and must offload players before buying again.

Roeder has identified Ruud van Nistelrooy and Dirk Kuyt as targets to replace Shearer, his main priority and one that could define the success of his reign. Luque and Jean-Alain Boumsong will be the high-profile casualties if buyers can be found. He said: "As a base, the squad's very good. With everyone fully fit, we're easily capable of being in the top six and, with a bit of luck, even higher. There are a few candidates for the No.9 shirt but I'd be silly to reveal them.

"They've got to be of a certain quality to handle pressure of playing at Newcastle. You don't replace Alan Shearer, but there are strikers out there and we need someone to play alongside Michael Owen.

Roeder, who won 32 points from 45 to get Newcastle from 15th to seventh after Graeme Souness was sacked in February, has now been slapped with a bizarre ban by UEFA bureaucrats.

They have decided he cannot use his new title on the team sheet when he takes the Toon into the Intertoto Cup.

So when Roeder starts in the competition - and if he reaches the UEFA Cup - he will not officially be known as their manager.

"Roeder has identified Ruud van Nistelrooy and Dirk Kuyt as targets to replace Shearer"

According to who? As if we'd reveal our transfer targets without him even knowing what his budget is!

137184[/snapback]

Didn't we have Kuyt scouted?

"Roeder has identified Ruud van Nistelrooy and Dirk Kuyt as targets to replace Shearer"

According to who? As if we'd reveal our transfer targets without him even knowing what his budget is!

137184[/snapback]

"There are a few candidates for the No.9 shirt but I'd be silly to reveal them"

Think that backs you up. Is ronaldo not leaving real this summer...

137233[/snapback]

We're not looking for John Hartson's replacement.

137233[/snapback]

We're not looking for John Hartson's replacement.

137235[/snapback]

Both have scored goals wherever they have been. P

Guest alex

Both have have suffered from weight problems, both are past their best, both have been FIFA World Player of the Year

Guest alex
Both have have suffered from weight problems, both are past their best, both have been FIFA World Player of the Year

137240[/snapback]

;)

137254[/snapback]

:lol:

Those eight were just those who didn't express their delight via mail...

137264[/snapback]

:lol:

I wrote and txted twice I was so delighted. And weed mesel I was so overcome by the excitement of it all.

And weed mesel I was so overcome by the excitement of it all.

137337[/snapback]

That not due to your age and not being able to reach the toilet on time? :lol:

And weed mesel I was so overcome by the excitement of it all.

137337[/snapback]

That not due to your age and not being able to reach the toilet on time? :lol:

137343[/snapback]

CHEEKY CU..*has to make a sharp exit to the bog*