The Anti-Big Brother Thread

Tooj

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

Is this for people who don't like it, so don't watch it? If so, what do post about? Or is it for people who don't like it but watch it, and if so, why do they watch it?

:lol:

Btw manc-mag WAL Jade IDST

Guest alex

Live coverage of the ker-ray-zee-est student house ever. GREAT ©

If you don't like it though, don't watch it.

A wanky stoodent friend of mine recently wrote:

What's wrong with Big Brother? I do not know one single solitary soul who has anything good to say about it (an indication of the company I keep, perhaps), and yet it seems quite interesting to me. I don't watch it because I simply have more important things to do, but I get infuriated with people who get infuriated with the show. It would be all too easy to say 'just don't watch it', so I won't patronise by going down that route. What I really don't like is that when people slate the show, they simultaneously take on an air of smug superiority over the 'hordes' who do watch it - as if the viewers are being duped somehow... How? It's interesting. It's entertainment. People will whinge that the quality of TV has fallen over the years, but surely a) they've changed too and B) it's not like the production companies are cocking it up. They've presumably invested a lot of time and money in getting a winning format, and it seems to be working. We're all free people. BB is there if we want it... If the complainers had their way, we'd all be watching The South Bank Show, which I also find interesting sometimes, but it's already on the other channel and I can choose. BB may receive plenty of marketing, but I don't know anyone who feels obliged to watch it.

Grr. It just irks me. Okay, the one argument I can level against it is that a whole bunch of people are perhaps being brought up to think that the show is somehow 'important' - compared with, say, world politics and stuff... Simple relativism, but also, perhaps it is - a bit. The fact that Chantelle won is a good indication of public opinion on the cult of celebrity. 'Intellectuals' are always banging on about how we worship dickheads who just happen to be caught in the media spotlight, and how stupid and pointless it all is - then the public go and vote for a 'normal' person (granted, she'll have her fifteen minutes now and I hope she enjoys them).

If this programme were to be marketed as a 'serious' psychology experiment, given a one hour slot late at night on BBC2 and wasn't quite so heavily advertised, then it would garner much more respect (and furthermore, the people who watch BB as it is now wouldn't be complaining about that) - but the whole point is about a) seeing how normal people interact in a confined space over time - and therefore they must be judged by a jury of their peers, B) 24/7 observation. In order for the latter to work, the show must be available for viewing all of the time, and for the former, people need to know about it - hence the aggressive publicity campaign. The reason people don't like it is because it's heavily pushed and, well, people don't like things that get advertised - but that's a different and complex issue. Also, and not to put too fine a point on it, it's a hugely successful format that has clearly brought quite a few people untold riches, and we Brits do seem to bear a bit of a grudge when it comes to other people's success. Then there are those people who mutter under their breaths 'I bet the average viewer doesn't even know who George Orwell was'. These are the worst type of critic. So fucking what? If everyone had read 1984, we'd be living in a very paranoid world indeed - at least the reference to continual observation is contained within a TV programme... The point has been made, but at least by making it into entertainment, the balance is maintained between awareness and abject paranoia.

I wish the producers the best of luck and I hope that anyone participating comes out relatively psychologically unscathed. Granted, the media are vicious - we know that already. But there have been a few BBs now, so it's not like the participants don't know what they're in for. Perhaps some of them suffer delusions of grandeur, but it really doesn't matter - they all get tarred with the same brush, and some of them make a quick buck.

I suppose my main argument isn't about Big Brother. It's about the people who waste so much energy and get so angry about what other people watch on TV. They hide behind the argument that it's a reflection of society going 'down the pan' - Bullshit. Try harder. You could accuse me of wasting energy typing this, but I'm surrounded by the kind of people who get incenced by Big Brother and pop culture in general, and they rant at me about it - like I give a fuck. I'm complaining because I have to listen to these pathetic whingers. They are complaining because they think it places them in a class above the 'average' TV viewer. There are plenty of interesting cultural bits and bobs out there if you look for them. I have my preferences, but it really does seem a complete waste to gather up all of the things which don't interest you (Big Brother, Pop Idol, etc.) and then find the energy to actively hate them. It's much easier to just ignore. Better still, ignore, and perhaps try to appreciate.

I don't know. People today...

I love to hate it. I spend the entire 9 weeks being thoroughly wound up by the pathetic behaviour but I have to keep watching - it's quite ridiculous.

I honestly enjoyed the first 2 series of BB. Then it went downhill imo because of the type of contestants the producers choose to let in the house. All seem to have massive egos, be extremely vain and shallow with their only interest being in becoming 'famous' in order to start a career in music, presenting etc.

I think the public see through this and thats why the viewing ratings have dropped.

In truth the majority of them have little or no talent in anything except bitching and sitting on their arses putting make up on all day...(and thats just the guys)!! :lol:

I will, as usual, watch the first show on friday to see who's in the house, but if its more of the same, i wont be watching any more of it.

What's wrong with Big Brother? I do not know one single solitary soul who has anything good to say about it (an indication of the company I keep, perhaps), and yet it seems quite interesting to me. I don't watch it because I simply have more important things to do, but I get infuriated with people who get infuriated with the show. It would be all too easy to say 'just don't watch it', so I won't patronise by going down that route. What I really don't like is that when people slate the show, they simultaneously take on an air of smug superiority over the 'hordes' who do watch it - as if the viewers are being duped somehow... How? It's interesting. It's entertainment. People will whinge that the quality of TV has fallen over the years, but surely a) they've changed too and ;) it's not like the production companies are cocking it up. They've presumably invested a lot of time and money in getting a winning format, and it seems to be working. We're all free people. BB is there if we want it... If the complainers had their way, we'd all be watching The South Bank Show, which I also find interesting sometimes, but it's already on the other channel and I can choose. BB may receive plenty of marketing, but I don't know anyone who feels obliged to watch it.

A pre-emptive ripping-to-shreds of Geordie Fish who will be along later to tell us all how thick we are if we watch it and how we're contributing to the dumbing-down of TV etc. :lol:

Guest alex
I honestly enjoyed the first 2 series of BB. Then it went downhill imo because of the type of contestants the producers choose to let in the house.  All seem to have massive egos, be extremely vain and shallow with their only interest being in becoming 'famous' in order to start a career in music, presenting etc.

I think the public see through this and thats why the viewing ratings have dropped.

In truth the majority of them have little or no talent in anything except bitching and sitting on their arses putting make up on all day...(and thats just the guys)!!  ;)

I will, as usual, watch the first show on friday to see who's in the house, but if its more of the same, i wont be watching any more of it.

137405[/snapback]

I watched a fair bit of the first two as well. I've given the others a go since, but I just end up switching off bored shitless after a few minutes. It's all 'look at me, look at me!' Freshers Week all over again. Minus the redeeming features :lol:

I honestly enjoyed the first 2 series of BB. Then it went downhill imo because of the type of contestants the producers choose to let in the house.  All seem to have massive egos, be extremely vain and shallow with their only interest being in becoming 'famous' in order to start a career in music, presenting etc.

In truth the majority of them have little or no talent in anything except bitching and sitting on their arses putting make up on all day...(and thats just the guys)!!  ;)

137405[/snapback]

I watched a fair bit of the first two as well. I've given the others a go since, but I just end up switching off bored shitless after a few minutes. It's all 'look at me, look at me!' Freshers Week all over again. Minus the redeeming features :lol:

137416[/snapback]

yep.....when it was 'ordinary' every day people, it was fine. Now it has a lot to answer for......that Jade Goody being one :icon_lol:

There's always been shite on telly. How much shiter the shite is doesn't equate to dumbing down because the shite before was shite too.

Dumbing down is a problem for me when the news includes segments on who's won Big Brother, The apprentice or I'm a celebrity to try and pull in more viewers. That's a crock of shite.

thankfully I think this fad is waning.

and that didn't rip anything to shreads Gemmil, was just a well written opinion.

I'm sure people who agree with me and are better at it than I, could "Rip that to shreeds" too.

end of the day I think it's dull repetitive shit, as interesting and ground breaking as the latest edition of Heat magazine. The reason Chantelle won, was because she was the underdog (how apt) and the British do like an underdog (up until the point they become succesful, at that time we drag them down.)

I just hold this show (and the similar ones) in contempt. Much rather see original comedy/drama or a good documentary.

Guest alex

I didn't watch any of the Celeb Big Brother apart from the first episode and the one where Galloway and Barrymore had an argument, as I'd seen the preview. The impression I got though was that Channel 4 wanted Chantelle to win and the viewers were hoodwinked into it. Her having a series on E4 would tend to back this up? Has anyone seen it out of interest? I imagine it plumbs new depths.

Guest alex
thankfully I think this fad is waning.

and that didn't rip anything to shreads Gemmil, was just a well written opinion.

I'm sure people who agree with me and are better at it than I, could "Rip that to shreeds" too.

end of the day I think it's dull repetitive shit, as interesting and ground breaking as the latest edition of Heat magazine. The reason Chantelle won, was because she was the underdog (how apt) and the British do like an underdog (up until the point they become succesful, at that time we drag them down.)

I just hold this show (and the similar ones) in contempt. Much rather see original comedy/drama or a good documentary.

137453[/snapback]

Have you considered writing for N-O? :lol:

I didn't watch any of the Celeb Big Brother apart from the first episode and the one where Galloway and Barrymore had an argument, as I'd seen the preview. The impression I got though was that Channel 4 wanted Chantelle to win and the viewers were hoodwinked into it. Her having a series on E4 would tend to back this up? Has anyone seen it out of interest? I imagine it plumbs new depths.

137471[/snapback]

Last weeks episode had a fascinating segment on Dostoevsky and his influence on modern culture.

Guest alex

137471[/snapback]

Last weeks episode had a fascinating segment on Dostoevsky and his influence on modern culture.

137475[/snapback]

She never called her Chihuahua that did she?

137471[/snapback]

137475[/snapback]

137476[/snapback]

Series 7 will be the first series to allow a random member of the public to enter the house. 100 golden tickets will be placed in Kit-Kat chocolate bars, granting the finder a chance to enter the Big Brother house. The competition begins at 10:30pm on May 18 2006, the launch date of Big Brother.

;)

Guest alex

Have you considered writing for N-O? ;)

137472[/snapback]

:icon_lol: I have

<---Kyzer Sosay

:rolleyes::lol:

137483[/snapback]

Do you write for N-O though? I know you post on there as KS.

Guest alex

137471[/snapback]

137475[/snapback]

137476[/snapback]

Series 7 will be the first series to allow a random member of the public to enter the house. 100 golden tickets will be placed in Kit-Kat chocolate bars, granting the finder a chance to enter the Big Brother house. The competition begins at 10:30pm on May 18 2006, the launch date of Big Brother.

;)

137480[/snapback]

Where did they get idea? :icon_lol: