Bummer Boy Barnwell Berates Big Fred

Gemmill

BARNWELL ROUNDS ON FREDDY

By Chris Stanton -  Created on 17 May 2006

John Barnwell has hit back at Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd after the Magpies chief branded the League Managers' Association chief executive a 'disgrace'.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday to announce the full-time appointment of Glenn Roeder as Newcastle manager, Shepherd took the opportunity to deride the LMA, who he believes attempted to block Roeder's succession to Graeme Souness.

Concerned by the former West Ham manager's lack of coaching qualifications, the LMA had refused to support the appointment of Roeder and Barnwell has now reiterated the Association's stance amid the aspersions cast by Newcastle.

Barnwell also took a snipe at the Magpies chairman personally and admits he found it ironic that Shepherd should preach compassion and job security having hired and fired many managers during his chairmanship on Tyneside.

"I was massively disappointed with Freddy," Barnwell told Sky Sports News. "He's got his appointment and that's what I thought yesterday [Tuesday] was all about.

"But he took the opportunity to have a considerable go at the LMA and really savage me personally.

"I was looking to draw a line under it but unfortunately he was so fierce with it that it demands a response from us."

Barnwell continued: "He hasn't quite got his facts right to begin with but that's no surprise.

"He said he was surprised that a union were keeping men out of work. Well Freddy, we're not a union, we're an association - The League Managers' Association.

"And as for keeping men out of work, I find it fairly ironic that you and Newcastle of all people are taking the moral high-ground of compassion and job security.

"Your past record for dismissals and termination of managers' contracts speaks for itself."

Barnwell also clarified the LMA's commitment to approving the appointment of managers who hold a Fifa Pro-Licence.

"We don't make appointments, we have no control over that. The LMA stance is, does this benefit the game?" added Barnwell.

"Do coaching qualifications improve the game? Of course they do - anyone with an ounce of common sense would say that it does and we've supported that."

Childish as fuck tbh. He comes across almost as unprofessional as Freddy.

"And as for keeping men out of work, I find it fairly ironic that you and Newcastle of all people are taking the moral high-ground of compassion and job security.

"Your past record for dismissals and termination of managers' contracts speaks for itself."

:lol:;):icon_lol:

John Barnwell has hit back at Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd after the Magpies chief branded the League Managers' Association chief executive a 'disgrace'.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday to announce the full-time appointment of Glenn Roeder as Newcastle manager, Shepherd took the opportunity to deride the LMA, who he believes attempted to block Roeder's succession to Graeme Souness.

Concerned by the former West Ham manager's lack of coaching qualifications, the LMA had refused to support the appointment of Roeder and Barnwell has now reiterated the Association's stance amid the aspersions cast by Newcastle.

Barnwell also took a snipe at the Magpies chairman personally and admits he found it ironic that Shepherd should preach compassion and job security having hired and fired many managers during his chairmanship on Tyneside.

"I was massively disappointed with Freddy," Barnwell told Sky Sports News. "He's got his appointment and that's what I thought yesterday [Tuesday] was all about.

"But he took the opportunity to have a considerable go at the LMA and really savage me personally.

"I was looking to draw a line under it but unfortunately he was so fierce with it that it demands a response from us."

Barnwell continued: "He hasn't quite got his facts right to begin with but that's no surprise.

"He said he was surprised that a union were keeping men out of work. Well Freddy, we're not a union, we're an association - The League Managers' Association.

Barnwell also clarified the LMA's commitment to approving the appointment of managers who hold a Fifa Pro-Licence.

"We don't make appointments, we have no control over that. The LMA stance is, does this benefit the game?" added Barnwell.

"Do coaching qualifications improve the game? Of course they do - anyone with an ounce of common sense would say that it does and we've supported that."

137402[/snapback]

Yeah, but Freddy started it ner, ner.

I assume you didn't see Shepherd last night then, being in Houston? He was a total embarassment, as usual.

137402[/snapback]

Yeah, but Freddy started it ner, ner.

I assume you didn't see Shepherd last night then, being in Houston? He was a total embarassment, as usual.

137406[/snapback]

Nah, I haven't seen it. I expect unprofessional stuff from Shepherd though, so it's no surprise he delivered. :lol:

Is the PFA not the players' union then, given they're an association?

137409[/snapback]

It does seem a matter of pedantics/semantics concerning Barnwell, until you consider that Shepherd was making it sound like Wilkinson was the chairman of a body equivalent to UNISON last night, and kept banging on about how a "Union" man could act like that.

Guest alex

137409[/snapback]

It does seem a matter of pedantics/semantics concerning Barnwell, until you consider that Shepherd was making it sound like Wilkinson was the chairman of a body equivalent to UNISON last night, and kept banging on about how a "Union" man could act like that.

137419[/snapback]

Admittedly, I didn't see Shepherd in action. Shame he can't resist making unnecessary comments to the media when anyone with a bit of class would keep their gob shut. As Barnwell alludes to a line could have been drawn under this whole thing. Especially seeing as the dispensation has been granted and Roeder has been appointed.

137409[/snapback]

137419[/snapback]

Admittedly, I didn't see Shepherd in action. Shame he can't resist making unnecessary comments to the media when anyone with a bit of class would keep their gob shut. As Barnwell alludes to a line could have been drawn under this whole thing. Especially seeing as the dispensation has been granted and Roeder has been appointed.

137423[/snapback]

Exactly. Totally unnecessary and unprofessional. It sounded like a pissed rant, and Sky loved it.

You'd think with a face like his and his past comment, Shepherd would avoid the limelight, but he just can't resist it.

Guest alex
Beautiful alliteraton, Scott.

;)

137441[/snapback]

Missed a trick, should have read:

"Bummer Boy Barnwell Berates Bloated Buffoon"

:lol:

Beautiful alliteraton, Scott.

:icon_lol:

137441[/snapback]

Missed a trick, should have read:

"Bummer Boy Barnwell Berates Bloated Buffoon"

:lol:

137444[/snapback]

Should be writing for The Sun with those headlines ;)

137402[/snapback]

I see we're not allone in noticing this then!