Barnwell fuels his feud with Shepherd

Happy Face

http://www.football365.com/news/story_185533.shtml

League Managers' Association chief John Barnwell claims it is "ironic" that Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has "taken the moral ground" in their row over the appointment of Glenn Roeder as the new Magpies boss.

Newcastle chairman Shepherd used Tuesday's presentation of Roeder as the club's full-time boss to attack Barnwell, who condemned the appointment on the basis that the new Magpies boss does not have the UEFA Pro Licence.

On Wednesday Barnwell re-entered the row and told Sky Sports News: "He [shepherd] is surprised a union is keeping a man out of work. We are not a union, we are an association."

And in an address to Shepherd, he added: "As for keeping men out of work, I find that fairly ironic that you and Newcastle of all people have taken the moral ground of compassion and job security.

"Your past record for dismissal and termination of managers' contracts speaks for itself."

Barnwell stressed: "I was massively disappointed with Freddy because he has got his appointment."

And in defence of the UEFA qualification, he said: "The LMA stance is, does this benefit the game? Of course it does. I challenge any chairman to say it doesn't. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would say it does."

Barnwell last week told PA Sport that the UEFA Pro Licence was designated a requisite qualification to prevent Premiership clubs "appointing the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker".

He claimed the Premier League clubs had harmed the value of the certificate by sending out a message to prospective managers that they can walk into top jobs without the highest qualifications.

Shepherd described those comments as "a disgrace" and added: "Shame on him. For a union leader to try to stop someone getting a job I think is incredible - I can't believe he said this remark."

:lol: