Chairman Responds To Latest LMA Comments

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United Chairman Freddy Shepherd has responded to further comments made by League Managers' Association chief John Barnwell following the Magpies' appointment of Glenn Roeder as manager.

When the former skipper was unveiled at a St. James' Park press conference on Tuesday, Mr Shepherd told the assembled media that he was unhappy with the stance adopted by Mr Barnwell and the LMA , saying he couldn't believe a union would try to stop someone taking a job.

Mr Barnwell responded on Wednesday, saying: "He (Mr Shepherd) said he was surprised that a union were keeping men out of work. Well, Freddy we're not a union, we're an association - The League Managers' Association."

That prompted Mr Shepherd to retort, telling nufc.co.uk: "There should be no misunderstanding between myself and John, after all we come from the same working class area of Newcastle so nothing should be lost in translation!

"I'd ask John to look up the word union in the Oxford English Dictionary - one of the definitions is 'a club, society, or association formed by people with a common interest or purpose'.

"Now if that isn't a definition of the LMA, then what is?

"I've also noted John's comments about dismissals and termination of manager's contracts - but as John well knows, any manager who has left St. James' Park has left with every penny they have been entitled to.

"I've made it clear that I'm disappointed in the stance adopted by John but I'd ask him to take these latest comments in the spirit they are intended."

Shepherd is right, and Barnwell is a pompous tosspot.

Not that I expect the blind Shepherd bashers to agree

137538[/snapback]

Either way, it's an embarrassment to the club.

137539[/snapback]

I'm not embarrassed for myself or the club. I AM embarrassed that the chairman of the LMA who has his head so far up his arse that he can't show compassion and feeling for someone who nearly died, one of his own members who professionally he should support, is a geordie.

And if I were Shepherd, I would say publicly exactly what I have said above.

Edited by LeazesMag

I do think Freddy has a point but surely other chairmen would've shut their gobs and let it lie by now? It'll come back to bite us in the arse in 6 months time when we want to appoint an unqualified Shearer as manager.

I do think Freddy has a point but surely other chairmen would've shut their gobs and let it lie by now? It'll come back to bite us in the arse in 6 months time when we want to appoint an unqualified Shearer as manager.

137551[/snapback]

Possibly. But you can't blame someone being angry, I think Barnwells attitude is disgraceful and it pisses me off and I don't know Glenn Roeder

If it stops now, they have both had their say.

Im not too sure whats disgraceful about Barnwells attitude is and I certainly have no clue as to what being a geordie has to do with it either. All he's done is , and more than likely in response to direct questions from the press, is point out the LMAs view on Roeders (potential) appointment. I dont see what the issue was, we knew it was against the rules and sought dispensation, which we got. Its Shepherd who's dragged this into a public slagging match, not Barnwell. He even had a sly dig at Allardyce, was there any need? Should Allardyce bite back like Shepherd and point out why he turned us down last time?

As the public figurehead of NUFC he should have a bit more about him than dropping sly digs about people into public statements, it is embarrassing and its unprofessional. It shouldnt have to stop now, it shouldnt have started

if shepherd was in any way professional he'd have kept his fat gob shut.

another pr masterclass from our chairman....he's a laughing stock.

instead of learning from his mistakes he shoots himself in the foot yet again bringing further embarrasment to the club.

That prompted Mr Shepherd to retort, telling nufc.co.uk: "There should be no misunderstanding between myself and John, after all we come from the same working class area of Newcastle so nothing should be lost in translation!

So obsessed, it's unbelievable.

In no way does he embarrass the club over this spat. Get a grip.

137567[/snapback]

he's a laughing stock and his complete lack of pr skills reflect badly on the club considering he's chairman.

no need for those comments at all tbh. the bigger man would have kept his gob shut

137551[/snapback]

Possibly. But you can't blame someone being angry, I think Barnwells attitude is disgraceful and it pisses me off and I don't know Glenn Roeder

137554[/snapback]

I have to admit I dont see how Barnwell's in the wrong over this, hes right in what hes saying. At the end of the day there is a rule on who can manage clubs, as an association the LMA have to support their members and the appointment of a non-qualified person into the job is going against their members.

Not that I expect the blind Shepherd backers to agree :lol:

On the flip side, they really need to take a look at the qualification, Souness has it ffs.

137551[/snapback]

137554[/snapback]

I have to admit I dont see how Barnwell's in the wrong over this, hes right in what hes saying. At the end of the day there is a rule on who can manage clubs, as an association the LMA have to support their members and the appointment of a non-qualified person into the job is going against their members.

Not that I expect the blind Shepherd backers to agree :lol:

On the flip side, they really need to take a look at the qualification, Souness has it ffs.

137597[/snapback]

i didnt think souness had the qualification either though? Doesn't the rule only apply to new appointments at present and both souness and ferguson didnt have the certificate last year?

Edited by zico martin

It's so much what he said but the words used.

Do you not think it unfair to suggest Roeder is as good as a man off the street (despite the fact that he is UEFA 'A' qualified) and to then allude to Roeder's desire for the job being purely financial?

In fairness to Fred, at one point it seemed everyman and his goldfish wanted to say something about this. Before Fred came out spitting chicken wings, Fat Sam had opened his gob about it to sky (iirc) as had Paul Jewell. The LMA came out blowing bubbles about how unhappy they were before Fred had said much. So yes fred could let it go and say nothing, which may have been the best move. But, at the same time I think many people did over looog so easily the fact that GR was taking the licence before he took seriously ill. On that I think they should have showed him compassion, including the LMA. I found it odd they come out against GR despite this, more so when its not the first time managers have been given the green light to manage without this licence.

It's so much what he said but the words used.

Do you not think it unfair to suggest Roeder is as good as a man off the street (despite the fact that he is UEFA 'A' qualified) and to then allude to Roeder's desire for the job being purely financial?

137618[/snapback]

Theres also the fact that Roeder was taking it before the illness and has made it clear he will finish it as and when he can.

And the fact that the qualification is a fucking joke and requires nothing whatoever of an individual to "pass it" meaning any "man of the street" could get it if he felt like wasting a few thousand grand on uefa and their mostly pointless course.

Shepherd is quite frequently an embarassment though and should learn when to speak and when not, or think carefully about what he says.

Though i have no problem with him sticking up for Roeder and having a go a Barnwell and the other managers who felt the need to stick their noses in when Roeder looked clear to get the job.

Im not embarressed at all- I think Freddie has got it bang on.

Barnwell had a point and was entitled to make it. Once he had he could have acknowledged the fairly unique situation we found ourselves in. The rules allowed for the Chairmen to make an exception, which they did. And still he bleats on. Typical no-mark know-nowt free loading self-serving blazer wearing shithead that pervades so much of our society. He should shut up and fuck off

I am embarressed by Newcastle fans backing him to score points against Shepherd. That is very poor imo

Im not embarressed at all- I think Freddie has got it bang on.

Barnwell had a point and was entitled to make it. Once he had he could  have acknowledged the fairly unique situation we found ourselves in. The rules allowed for the Chairmen to make an exception, which they did. And still he bleats on. Typical no-mark know-nowt free loading self-serving blazer wearing shithead that pervades so much of our society. He should shut up and fuck off

I am embarressed by Newcastle fans backing him to score points against Shepherd. That is very poor imo

137670[/snapback]

Correct, he's like most of the complete cocks in charge of organisations and the real reason he and people like him are bleating away like a bunch of dicks is because the premiership (via its chairmen) basically told them to fuck off and showed they have little power when it matters which to people like that is a big (and hilarious) humiliation.

Its not a case of backing anyone. Tbh I couldnt care less what Barnwewll does. Shepherd on the other hand is the public figurehead of NUFC and shouldnt be getting into little public slanging matches, but he does, all the time, he just cant keep his fat gob shut and thats the embarrasing part. Whether its in regards to Bellamy, Shearer, the journal last week and now this. There shouldnt be a public spat because Shepherd should be professional enough to not pass comment. Roeder actually had the moral highground over all this by not saying anything

In exactly the same way I'd be embarrased about Allardyce recently with regards to England and Roeder if I was a Bolton fan

Its not a case of backing anyone. Tbh I couldnt care less what Barnwewll does. Shepherd on the other hand is the public figurehead of NUFC and shouldnt be getting into little public slanging matches, but he does, all the time, he just cant keep his fat gob shut and thats the embarrasing part. Whether its in regards to Bellamy, Shearer, the journal last week and now this. There shouldnt be a public spat because Shepherd should be professional enough to not pass comment. Roeder actually had the moral highground over all this by not saying anything

In exactly the same way I'd be embarrased about Allardyce recently with regards to England and Roeder if I was a Bolton fan

137697[/snapback]

I think Shepherd should maybe have just stuck to a defence of Roeder which was right, and made perhaps one comment about the LMA (my choice would be to point out that they're bitter at the prem showing them to be of no importance whatsoever when push comes to shove) and leave it at that!

What Fred does need to do is stop shoe horning the word geordie into every bastard conversation he has as if it matters in any of them!