If a foreign manager had been appointed...

Lazarus

Would we accept him bringing in a whole load of foreign players?

i realise that the toon is no stranger to players from distant lands but look at arsenal and chelsea - didnt they field teams with no englishmen? how long until benitez does the same ?

If, for example, hitzfeld had been appointed, how many german players would he have signed?

I'm not saying roeder is an astute appointment and the man ive always wanted in charge cos he isnt and i didnt. Missed opportunity if you ask me.

Maybe freddie doesnt want a spanish/french/german clique at the club, for whatever reason.

Would the fans?

I can't imagine too many Arse, Chelski or Liverpool fans are complaining when they're picking up those trophys.

138081[/snapback]

no? i suspect there would be, especially at Liverpool if it wasnt for Carragher and Gerrard

I can't imagine too many Arse, Chelski or Liverpool fans are complaining when they're picking up those trophys.

138081[/snapback]

no? i suspect there would be, especially at Liverpool if it wasnt for Carragher and Gerrard

138083[/snapback]

Or Chelsea without Lampard, Terry, Cole.

I'd like to see us field home grown players. We should have an academy with the success that Boro are having at the moment. Im not saying that all their academy players are all good but theyve got some prospects out of them and they know what their home town club is about.

Isn't there a rule coming in soon forcing clubs to field homegrown players?

138128[/snapback]

I hard that too somewhere, at the time spurs where the only team that had enough players.

138128[/snapback]

I hard that too somewhere, at the time spurs where the only team that had enough players.

138129[/snapback]

its 4 homegrown players in a squad of 25 or something innit?

a team could still field a foreign first 11.

138128[/snapback]

138129[/snapback]

138132[/snapback]

I think it's a bit more forceful than that, teams will actually have to field so many academy players.

138128[/snapback]

138129[/snapback]

138132[/snapback]

I think it's a bit more forceful than that, teams will actually have to field so many academy players.

138137[/snapback]

Arsenal, manu, chelsea will just field players stolen from other people's academies then! :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4233353.stm

its euro competitions only at first and its 4 HGP in the squad of 25.

domestic leagues have yet to be agreed.

6 HGP in 2007

8 HGP in 2008.

basically - uefa want to develop homegrown talent but it'll just be poached.

would i be right in thinking that next year zoggy would be classed as a homegrown player ? seems a bit pointless doesnt it :lol:

138081[/snapback]

138083[/snapback]

Or Chelsea without Lampard, Terry, Cole.

138085[/snapback]

While I'm sure both sets of fans (scousers more than the plastic cockeneys) like seeing english and especially local lads in the team, success is far more important.

If we fielded a team full of escimo's I wouldn't give a fuck if they won us a trophy.

I'd like 11 very good players in the side who play as a team. Sentiment has held us back, you've got to be ruthless to win things nowadays. Carragher and Gerrard are in the Liverpool side because they're excellent players, same with Lampard and Terry. If a foreign manager came here and brought in an excellent centre half who was better than Taylor then tough shit.

I'd like 11 very good players in the side who play as a team. Sentiment has held us back, you've got to be ruthless to win things nowadays. Carragher and Gerrard are in the Liverpool side because they're excellent players, same with Lampard and Terry. If a foreign manager came here and brought in an excellent centre half who was better than Taylor then tough shit.

138296[/snapback]

Exactly.

While I'm sure both sets of fans (scousers more than the plastic cockeneys) like seeing english and especially local lads in the team, success is far more important.

If we fielded a team full of escimo's I wouldn't give a fuck if they won us a trophy.

138289[/snapback]

Not wishing to start a London is better/worse than everywhere else row, but London is a very diverse place. (shocker! :lol: ) Most people who live there weren't born there and that's what makes it great.

Anyone can go there and be themselves. The attitude that London looks down on everywhere else is not really the case....more that it doesn't care as it is both self contained and self obsessed.

I like a lot about London and dislike almost as much, but I think the idea that Londoners have specific opinions about everywhere is incorrect.

Even the Liverpool team of the 80s had only 1 or 2 Englishmen. Most were Irish, Scottish and had the odd Zimbabwian & Australian.

Here's their team from the 1986 Cup Final.

Grobellaar (Zimbabwe)

Lawrenson (Ireland)

Beglin (Ireland)

Nicol (Scotland)

Whelan (Ireland)

Hansen (Scotland)

Dalglish (Scotland)

Johnston (Australia)

Rush (Wales)

Molby (Sweden?)

MacDonald (Dunno)

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I wouldn't give a flying fig if none of our players were English/Geordie etc. They'd still be OUR players, playing for OUR team and if they won something as part of OUR club then I wouldn't feel the slightest bit cheated if they won something. I'd rather have a team full of N'Zogbia's/Solano's than Chopra's if it meant we got our moment of glory.

Guest alex
Even the Liverpool team of the 80s had only 1 or 2 Englishmen. Most were Irish, Scottish and had the odd Zimbabwian & Australian.

Here's their team from the 1986 Cup Final.

Grobellaar  (Zimbabwe)

Lawrenson (Ireland)

Beglin  (Ireland)

Nicol  (Scotland)

Whelan  (Ireland)

Hansen  (Scotland)

Dalglish  (Scotland)

Johnston  (Australia)

Rush (Wales)

Molby (Sweden?)

MacDonald  (Dunno)

138339[/snapback]

Molby's Danish :lol:

Cheers, wasn't sure. And I agree with Catmag, if you want a team of English players, that's what international football is for. Club football is all about getting the best players, whether they be English, Italian, Chilean or Alien.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Every Londoner I've ever met has thought the north east was a god-awful dump and London the centre of the universe.

138627[/snapback]

I did actually say that Londoners think that it's the centre of the universe...although, come to think of it....most people think that about where they live whether they realise it or not. :lol: