Terry Henry to stay ?

Lazarus

Henry poised to sign new contract

Arsenal's record goal-scorer has one year left on his contract

Thierry Henry is set to end months of speculation over his future by signing a new contract at Arsenal, inspired by their Champions League final display.

Henry, whose contract runs out next year, had been linked with a move to Champions League winners Barcelona.

"I hope to stay as long as I can keep running. I couldn't leave the fans. They're like family," he told The Sun.

"I love Barcelona, but on Wednesday Arsenal showed they had heart. I hope to finalise details today."

_41661672_henry_happy203.jpg

Gunners captain Henry, 28, joined from Juventus in August 1999 and has gone on to become the club's record goalscorer.

He was recently voted Football Writers' Association player of the year for the third time, and in his acceptance speech, he said that he now considered London his home.

On the flight back from Arsenal's Champions League final defeat in Paris, he is reported to have told passengers "we will come back next year."

If he does pledge his future to Arsenal, it will be a huge boost to the club ahead of their move to their new Emirates Stadium next season.

It will also help cushion the loss of striker Dennis Bergkamp, who is retiring after 11 years' service to the club.

From BBC

Would be fantastic if it was true

138252[/snapback]

And why would Henry staying be fantastic?

For NUFC it will be an absolute disaster. We need to grab 4th place - Arsenal will be a lot more difficult to catch with Henry weighing in with 20+ goals next season.

Yes, yes he's good to watch but so fuck - do you want CL or not?

Edited by Ugly Mackems

138252[/snapback]

For NUFC it will be an absolute disaster. We need to grab 4th place - Arsenal will be a lot more difficult to catch with Henry weighing in with 20+ goals next season.

138277[/snapback]

I think it is more worrying that with Henry still at the Arse then Zog will more likely be tempted to go if they infact want him.

And for NUFC that would be an absolute disaster.

Guest alex

138252[/snapback]

138277[/snapback]

What UM said teebeeaitch.

We were talking about this while watching the game. Yes, it's nice to see the world class players at SJP, but I'd much rather they were injured or having a shit off day when they play us tbh. I take little pleasure in watching an Henry or such like waltzing past our defenders like they weren't there.

138252[/snapback]

138277[/snapback]

What UM said teebeeaitch.

138307[/snapback]

Disregarding any implications for NUFC, I'm struggling to think how anyone but an Arsenal fan could regard it as fantastic news?

Personally, I reckon he's made a mistake (if true), but then it happens to the best (e.g. Shearer).

It's nice to see a bit of loyalty for once I suppose. What I personally like about him apart from being a great player is that he's an excellent captain, talks to his players, calms them down etc. Yes, I know he was pissed off at the end of Wednesday night, but usually he's the voice of reason on the pitch. Plus, he always seems not arsed when he comes up here which I thank him for.

I think it's fantastic news for the Premiership as a whole with Chelski bringing all of these new players in it's gonna make the league a one horse race again, so hopefully Arsenal can at least make a decent effort this year, and talk of 4th place? we seem to be getting ahead of ourselves here

He's been the best CF in the prem imo (controversial on here, but there you go) and i love to watch him play. Arsenal without him and maybe Campbell, Cole and Pires would be a much, much weaker side. I don't think they have the players yet to fill those gaps, although i also believe Wenger doesn't get much wrong. However, even bereft of that lot, i don't think we'll competing with them any time soon. Shame we couldn't keep momentum from SBR's time, but GS sety us back a loooooooong way imo.

I think he should move to Barca to fulfil his footballing ambitions though. Maybe he wants to be the biggest fish in a smaller pond.

bit of a flawed argument. course its great hes staying, if every world class player left the league and then we might as well go and wathc the championship every week. I want as many quality players in the english league as possible. And Henry is in the top 3 players in the world IMO

Guest alex

I want as many quality players at the toon as possible. Couldn't give a shit about the rest. Will it be good news if Berbatov turns out to be a world class player for Spurs?

bit of a flawed argument. course its great hes staying, if every world class player left the league and then we might as well go and wathc the championship every week. I want as many quality players in the english league as possible. And Henry is in the top 3 players in the world IMO

138379[/snapback]

But you primarily support a non-league side? Wouldn't have thought you'd been bothered about watching quality players.

138379[/snapback]

But you primarily support a non-league side? Wouldn't have thought you'd been bothered about watching quality players.

138385[/snapback]

hardly, it is possible to support 2 teams, especially when they are 6 divisions apart. ive seen a few newcastle players over the years that wouldnt even get a game for blyth!

I want as many quality players at the toon as possible. Couldn't give a shit about the rest. Will it be good news if Berbatov turns out to be a world class player for Spurs?

138384[/snapback]

would it be good news if henry, gerrard, lampard, ronaldo, rooney, terry, rio, cech, alonso etc. all left england? None of them would be playing against us then? But then we wouldnt see the skills and goals they produce on a weekly basis and wed end up with a league full of jason roberts!

Guest alex

138384[/snapback]

would it be good news if henry, gerrard, lampard, ronaldo, rooney, terry, rio, cech, alonso etc. all left england? None of them would be playing against us then? But then we wouldnt see the skills and goals they produce on a weekly basis and wed end up with a league full of jason roberts!

138395[/snapback]

That's not what I said is it? If Henry leaves, it would be good news for us in my view as it would mean a potential rival for the 4th CL place losing their best player. It would also, in my opinion have zero impact on any of the other players you mention deciding to stay or leave.

no, but the same logic applies. If they leave, the top 4 would be seriously weakened. Are you telling me if chelsea signed ronaldinho you wouldnt look forward to seeing him play at st james?

138405[/snapback]

Christ no, I'd be shitting it. But then we've had the upper hand against them up here recently, so they probably need Ronaldinho to beat us.

Guest alex
no, but the same logic applies. If they leave, the top 4 would be seriously weakened. Are you telling me if chelsea signed ronaldinho you wouldnt look forward to seeing him play at st james?

138405[/snapback]

I would be gutted if they signed Ronaldinho in all honesty. Plus, I'd only see him once a season up here (probably) and I would get no pleasure in him murdering our defenders. Also, I like Barca, hate Chelsea and I can see him on Sky/ITV loads anyway. I plan on going to a Barca game next season to see him in the flesh in any case.

138384[/snapback]

138395[/snapback]

That's not what I said is it? If Henry leaves, it would be good news for us in my view as it would mean a potential rival for the 4th CL place losing their best player. It would also, in my opinion have zero impact on any of the other players you mention deciding to stay or leave.

138400[/snapback]

Unfortunately, i think we are a couple of years away from such heady heights.

138384[/snapback]

138395[/snapback]

138400[/snapback]

138431[/snapback]

By which time Walcott will no doubt be happy slapping the entire Premiership

Guest alex

138384[/snapback]

138395[/snapback]

138400[/snapback]

138431[/snapback]

Maybe, it was up for grabs this season though. Spurs and Blackburn weren't that good plus Arsenal lost a load of games. Missed opportunity again, as was the previous season when Everton were 4th.