No signings until end of June

donaldstott

Nice to see we're going to leave it until the world cup starts and prices rocket before making any changes... Just for once I'd like to get the impression that there was a plan in place and targets identified.

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder has outlined the need for a new prudent transfer policy on Tyneside.

The newly-installed manager believes The Magpies need to learn from past forays into the transfer market - many of which have proved expensive failures.

Former manager Graeme Souness spent nigh on £18 million on Jean-Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque and both players have failed to deliver for the Premiership club, albeit for differing reasons.

And Roeder now insists the club must take greater care when targeting new signings if The Magpies are not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

"We must take care over who we sign," said Roeder.

"We have to be pro-active and there will be careful activity because we certainly can't afford any mistakes.

"I will be judged on my dealings. You could argue it is the most important and difficult part of the job but we will get to work now.

"That is why we must make more investigations, check out the character and background of targets and ask if he is a player who stays fit and plays games."

Roeder hinted that there would be several players leaving the club before new ones come in.

"We will slide some players in and slide some out," added Roeder.

"I need to be here looking at potential signings so that, when we come back in late June, we can actively get involved in moving players on and creating openings."

Personally, i'm happy with his stance on this. I think our signings do need to be investigated carefully, i'm sure Wenger does something similar. As for the June bit, i think that if we have any interest in a player and he's interested in us, he won't sign for the first other club who makes him an offer.

I'll be vary curious to see how Roeder does in the transfer market and his approach makes me optimistic. Time will tell though...

IF we have money to spend I'm sure there's work going on now, but it's always the same, you sign tha player as late as possible to avoid the wages over the summer.

Nothing really new in this IMO