Roeder wants Chops to stay

Renton

With our striking options currently standing at

1.Owen, who we will 2/3 a season out of at best

2.Ameobi, who is mediocre at best

3.Luque, who roeder doesnt seem to like and he doesnt seem to give a shite

4. Chopra, not up to scratch

I dont really think we should let him go, give him another 12 months. I dont think we can afford 2 top notch strikers so buy one and keep him as a back up incase of crazy injuries like this season.

Still reckon hes a better shot than ameobi. Whats more worrying is he wants them both to stay!

138531[/snapback]

I know this is going over the ground of an old thread, but as you have dabbled in semi-pro football (so you say iirc?), I find your judgement there astounding.

I find it astounding that you can base a judgement on chopras 7 league starts since 2002 against ameobi's 84.

138542[/snapback]

I don't. I've been watching Chopra play for about 4 years.

Sooooopafan  :lol:

You will have seen him banging goals in for the reserves then!

138544[/snapback]

Funny thing is J69, I don't think I am particularly good at judging players, but I can spot Chopra isn't a premiership player a mile off.

Yes, I have been to reserve matches. They bear no reality to first-team matches whatsoever though. Do you think they do?

for young uns they do. steven taylor looked class in the reserves. I spotted aaron lennon playing for leeds reserves against newcastle at wakefield a few years back and you could tell then he was class. Likewise Chopra was being hailed as a boy wonder for us in the youth teams and the reserves and i still dont think hes been given a decent chance.

for young uns they do. steven taylor looked class in the reserves. I spotted aaron lennon playing for leeds reserves against newcastle at wakefield a few years back and you could tell then he was class. Likewise Chopra was being hailed as a boy wonder for us in the youth teams and the reserves and i still dont think hes been given a decent chance.

138553[/snapback]

Fair enough. What's a decent chance then, and what do you expect from him (e.g. goals per season at the top level)? Chopra is not a kid anymore.

Btw, for every kid that makes it, dozens don't (including many promising ones).

We aren't likely to have that much money and our squad is already to thin for the premiership + domestic cups and (hopefully) playing in the uefa cup.

So its not unlikely Roeder would keep Chopra on as he'll know he has enough players to bring in already without replacing even more, even if Chopra isn't going to be premiership standard.

However it could also be a case of Roeder showing once again the difference between an intelligent manager and a fuckwitt like Souness. Where Souness childishly and selfishly, (to the detriment of NUFC and thus its supporters) hammered Bellamy and Robert for an age before he sold them ensuring rock bottom prices, Roeder may indeed just be attempting to make Chopra seem a decent investment for clubs looking to buy.

Guest alex

Chopra isn't quick or strong, in fact he's sadly lacking in both those areas. You have to be amazing in other respects, a al Pedro, if you are going to make it as a striker in the top flight if you haven't got those attributes. Sadly, I think he needs to drop-down a division (at least) to find his level.

Chopra isn't quick or strong, in fact he's sadly lacking in both those areas. You have to be amazing in other respects, a al Pedro, if you are going to make it as a striker in the top flight if you haven't got those attributes. Sadly, I think he needs to drop-down a division (at least) to find his level.

138559[/snapback]

He's also completely lacking in technical ability imo. In fact, what has he got?

a decent chance? 10 or 15 games on the trot as opposed to 1 game every few months. Im not saying he should be automatic choice to play with owen and if he gets a few games this season and still isnt doing the business then by all means let him go. Which is what should have been done with ameobi 2 years ago. Hes one of those players like barton and bramble that everyone in the world can see isnt good enough, except every newcastle manager for some reason. and they have all played under 3 or 4 different managers that have persevered with them.

Guest alex

138559[/snapback]

He's also completely lacking in technical ability imo. In fact, what has he got?

138561[/snapback]

Good workrate, good finishing and good movement. Not enough for NUFC on it's own but he'll do well at a lower level in my view.

138559[/snapback]

138561[/snapback]

Good workrate, good finishing and good movement. Not enough for NUFC on it's own but he'll do well at a lower level in my view.

138565[/snapback]

I don't even think he's got good movement. Even during these games when we're been playing well and really dominating, he never looks like he's going to get on the end of a chance. Bet you could count on one hand the number of shots he's had this season.

I have to feel sorry for him as the only times he's played has been when we are have had half a team and then he's expected to come in and perform. It might have been very different for him if he's come in alongside Owen or Shearer and had Parker, Emre and Bowyer in midfield.

Unfortunately more of than not he's been paired with a not fully fit Shola and in front of Clark and Faye. You can't expect him to play to his full potential in those circumstances.

That said I still don't think he's a top class player.

These comments can only be judged when we see what happens to Chopra. He's hardly going to say he wants rid when we can get compensation.

The club will be hopeful of getting a decent fee, unless a Premiership team gets interested it probably won't be a great deal (£500k at best). Better than a kick in the bollocks though!

I sympathise with Chopra, Ameobi has been given 3 seasons to show how shit he is, yet Chopra has been labeled as being below the required standard without having the benifit of a contiuned run in the side.

True, but then Ameobi shouldn't have been handed so much time.

We can't really afford to give everyone every chance they may deserve as we're more than a proving ground. When transfer windows come around we have to make decisions based on what we've seen- we might not have tested something as rigourously as possible, but we have to go with what we have.

In Chopra's case, you can only say that he's well short of Premiership level.