Newcastle to lose £5m on Luque?

Baggio

Newcastle look set to lose £5m on Albert Luque,

UEFA Cup winners Seville want to end the winger's nightmare but are only willing to pay £4m.

Former Toon Boss Greame Souness shelled out £9.5m to Deportivo for Luque, 28, in August last year.

New manager Glenn Roeder wants a clear-out so he can bid for Spurs striker Jermain Defoe.

But Roeder has told Cardiff they will not get free-agent Michael Chopra on the cheap.

Roeder said "we've offered him a new deal and if he left we'd get compensation'

Not sure I'd sell him for that although getting him off the wage bill could be worth another £3 million over the season.

If thats all they are willing to pay then best they arange a swap with either Enzo Maresca or Luiz Fabiano.

If thats all the are willing to pay then best they arange a swap with either Enzo Maresca or Luiz Fabiano.

138678[/snapback]

or that danny alves

If thats all the are willing to pay then best they arange a swap with either Enzo Maresca or Luiz Fabiano.

138678[/snapback]

or that danny alves

138683[/snapback]

The left back? Isn't he Barcelona-bound?

There's nothing to say there wont be other bids later in the summer. I think anything over £6m would probably do it, but we have to be braced for at best a £3m hit on the deal. Far better we get in the cash than worry about profit and loss on disposal.

I recall Atletico Madrid being interested and they will have a few quid when they eventually flog Torres this summer.

138678[/snapback]

or that danny alves

138683[/snapback]

138689[/snapback]

hes a soopa attacking right back.

the barca stuff is just paper talk innit ?

138678[/snapback]

or that danny alves

138683[/snapback]

138689[/snapback]

hes a soopa attacking right back.

the barca stuff is just paper talk innit ?

138696[/snapback]

I'm just going on what David Pleat was saying in the commentary for the UEFA Cup final. :lol: But he did look a very good player in that game.

Guest Sima
I'm just going on what David Pleat was saying in the commentary for the UEFA Cup final.  :lol: But he did look a very good player in that game.

David Pleat shouldn't be allowed to even breathe, never mind speak.

Edited by Sima

I still believe he was bought to play in a 4-5-1 as at the time we didn't believe we'd get Owen and clueless thought Dyer would somehow play alot of games

I'm just going on what David Pleat was saying in the commentary for the UEFA Cup final.  :lol: But he did look a very good player in that game.

David Pleat shouldn't be allowed to even breathe, never mind speak.

138732[/snapback]

Did you hear him on wednesday?

"The sight is in end for Arsenal now" (sic)

Bang, Barca score.

proper player and a replacement for a cancer

138755[/snapback]

LM, I dislike Souness almost as much as you, but I honestly can't see Luque being one of his signings. A lightweight, winger/forward was the opposite of the sort of 'working wide player' he banged on about. I may well be wrong, but I see Luque as a complete panic buy, he looked decent when we scouted Depor in the Intertoto and we went for him because we could.

Luque was our summer 'glamour signing' and had Owen joined a week sooner, Uncle Albert would still be sunning himself in La Coruna.

If we're to blame people for this farce, it's those who have generated the 'trophy player' culture. Luque's not the first and won't be the last player to be signed just so that we're seen to be spending money.

proper player and a replacement for a cancer

138755[/snapback]

LM, I dislike Souness almost as much as you, but I honestly can't see Luque being one of his signings. A lightweight, winger/forward was the opposite of the sort of 'working wide player' he banged on about. I may well be wrong, but I see Luque as a complete panic buy, he looked decent when we scouted Depor in the Intertoto and we went for him because we could.

Luque was our summer 'glamour signing' and had Owen joined a week sooner, Uncle Albert would still be sunning himself in La Coruna.

If we're to blame people for this farce, it's those who have generated the 'trophy player' culture. Luque's not the first and won't be the last player to be signed just so that we're seen to be spending money.

138794[/snapback]

Panic buy he most certainly was. And lets face it we were all panicking !!!!

Because of Souness and his stupidity though. This is the core of the problem isn't it. The amount of players we let go during his clear out last summer was ridiculous. It's what we said at the time isn't it...if he wanted rid of Robert, or Bellamy, we should have got the replacements in first. He put his ego before the club.

I don't believe anyone else but Souness chose to buy Luque, he said himself that one of his "good friend in football" [Micheal Robinson] had testified to him being a "proper player" [think I'll throw up if we keep having to type this phrase].

As much as I wish Shepherd or someone had overruled Souness when it came to selling Bellamy, it would have still been in principle the wrong thing for a chairman to do and I would have felt that way about it. Basically, the chairman shouldn't interefere, and if it gets to the stage when he isn't happy with the way the manager is doing his job, then thats the time to sack him isn't it ? But interfere, no.

Souness also bought Boumsong, he chose him, watched him, and told us all that he was "good player, and a good communicator". Ugh. Fuck him forever.

EDIT. I see what you say about Trophy Player culture .... but I can't say I agree. Owen a trophy player ? He's a great goalscorer. The other side of the coin is buying less talented players ........ Shearers replacement a year early is how I see him. Now of course we have to build on what we have or we may lose him, and thats going to be difficult.

Edited by LeazesMag

Its clear that Luque was a panic buy and as LM said Souness relied heavily on the advice of his mate. Good to see Roeder saying that much more work has to go into scouting, it looks like he's having a direct dig at Souness' signing of Luque and Emre.

The Newcastle boss said: "In football you cannot just go off and sign players without doing your research.

"You need that information on the players, and without it you are likely to make mistakes.

"It is a case of doing your research and not just writing out cheques. It is a question of carefully identifying the person and the player.

"The person is just as important. You need footballers who are injury- free and problem-free.

"There is no point having an injured player who is causing problems.

"If their past injury record is that they play 15 games a season, then the problem is there for you to see, and that only comes after a lots of checking.

"Injuries, the player's record and his character all need to be considered and if the `yes' box is ticked for all of them then the possibility of a signing is there.

"Too many players have been signed in football in recent years without enough research - and then what happens?

"You are lumbered with an unhappy player. I don't want that here," added Roeder.

Its clear that Luque was a panic buy and as LM said Souness relied heavily on the advice of his mate. Good to see Roeder saying that much more work has to go into scouting, it looks like he's having a direct dig at Souness' signing of Luque and Emre.

Since he took over Roeder has on many occasions politely or subtley ripped the piss out of what absolute fucking clowns Souness and his regime were with regards even the very simple, basic things anybody in football would know. And fair play to Roeder for doing it!

Before we signed Luque he was never injury prone, he suffered the worst injury of his career by far when he was here and that thing cannot be compensated for, however Emre has always had a poor injury record

Before we signed Luque he was never injury prone, he suffered the worst injury of his career by far when he was here and that thing cannot be compensated for, however Emre has always had a poor injury record

138825[/snapback]

Aye, he wasn't saying Luque is one of the more injury prone players but he was questioning the research put into the player, how many times he had been watched? whether he was suitable for the PL? whether he had the mental attitude to adapt to England and succeed? This is something Wenger puts a lot of time into and something Souness completely ignored but Roeder recognises that sometimes a player's mental attributes can be just as important as his physical ones.

EDIT. I see what you say about Trophy Player culture .... but I can't say I agree. Owen a trophy player ? He's a great goalscorer. The other side of the coin is buying less talented players ........ Shearers replacement a year early is how I see him. Now of course we have to build on what we have or we may lose him, and thats going to be difficult.

138810[/snapback]

Owen is undoubtedly a talented player and signing great players is fantastic for the club. The day we signed Owen (and Nobby, while getting got of Jenas) was superb.

However my concern with this is that people see players as an end and not simply a means to winning matches- which is what a club is all about.

Unfortunately there is an element amongst our support who see spending money as success, and base their opinions on club performance based on the summer's outlay. Many of them own season tickets. I see the 'splash the cash' crew are out in force again this year on certain other forums, with utter disregard of our poor cash position at the moment.

I just wonder if Luque was on the market for £2m, would we have been so interested?

Very true, Luque was a signing to appease the fans who aren't haooy unless we've spent a fortune. The money from Boumsong and Luque could've bought us four solid, unspectacular players instead of two spectacular failures. Given the fact that we've got a paper thin squad atm I'd expect to see a few smaller signings made rather than our policy of buying big.

I've said for ages its embarassing that NUFC never seem to buy any cheap young players and turn them into genuine class players, or ever buy any experienced class players, perhaps slightly past their peak who are also cheap and use their ability plus experince in the team and helping younger players.

We never seem to do well with fress or bosman type transfers and never seem to make much of any loand deals going.

With us its spend a fortune on players, often ending up with complete failures and a waste of millions. Even when we buy youngsters its often for millions, ie £5m or £6m for JJ and Dyer rather than like say Charlton getting Bent for £2m/£2.5m

We need to bring in some proven top class players obviously, but also a few bargians at either end of the age scale to build our currently understrength squad.

I've said for ages its embarassing that NUFC never seem to buy any cheap young players and turn them into genuine class players, or ever buy any experienced class players, perhaps slightly past their peak who are also cheap and use their ability plus experince in the team and helping younger players.

:lol: