Radiohead

Hatful Of Hollow

"[but] for U2, physical sales are still an enormous part of our business and we still sell a lot of actual CDs."

Doesn't that really translate to:

"To be sure we won't be given nothing away because we're more interested in the cash than actually composing anything of note or integrity. By the way, have a Pepsi."

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"[but] for U2, physical sales are still an enormous part of our business and we still sell a lot of actual CDs."

Doesn't that really translate to:

"To be sure we won't be given nothing away because we're more interested in the cash than actually composing anything of note or integrity. By the way, have a Pepsi."

More of less. :icon_lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Radiohead's decision to offer their latest album on a pay-what-you-like basis online "to some extent backfired", U2's manager has said.

The majority of fans who downloaded In Rainbows ignored the band's website and acquired it illegally by other means, Paul McGuinness told BBC 6 Music.

"Sixty to 70% of the people who downloaded the record stole it anyway, even though it was available for free."

U2's next album - due this year - would not follow the same approach, he added.

The exact release date was "not clear yet but I would think towards the end of October", Mr McGuinness said.

"We will obviously work with whatever technology is available to make the release of the new record as interesting as possible," he added.

The 10 MP3 files for In Rainbows were placed online in October, with fans invited to pay what they thought they were worth, from nothing - plus a small handling fee - to £100.

However internet monitoring company Comscore found only 38% of downloaders willingly paid, while the others who accessed Radiohead's website gave nothing.

The album went straight to number one in the UK and US when it became available on CD in January.

Radiohead's representatives were unavailable for comment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7445777.stm

He's right like, I for one couldn't be arsed waiting to get on their site under all that traffic.

backfired?

apparently it was downloaded 1 million times at an average of 2.62 dollars per download. plus the cash they raked in from the boxset! and then CD sales (it went straight to No.1).

thats fucking insane!

I saw them at Victoria Park on Tuesday. Fantastic show, though they did leave out some classics and the crowd around me were annoying. But the rest of the gig more than made up for it.

I was, however, irritated by being stuck in east London for ages trying to get out in the really slow moving crowds. Only just got my train back home otherwise my friends and I would have been stuck in London for the night.

Edited by TheInspiration

I saw them at Victoria Park on Tuesday. Fantastic show, though they did leave out some classics and the crowd around me were annoying. But the rest of the gig more than made up for it.

I was, however, irritated by being stuck in east London for ages trying to get out in the really slow moving crowds. Only just got my train back home otherwise my friends and I would have been stuck in London for the night.

Set list last night was better but Tuesday was still immense.

I've read a few reviews complaining that not enough 'hits' were played, but when you've got so many amazing songs its impossible to play everything. I'd have loved to have seen Street Spirit, Paranoid Android and The Bends but I bet others were gutted they missed The Tourist, Planet Telex, Airbag etc.

Absolutely love Idioteque, its such a class song to finish on. Was dancing around like a fucking mong but was just brilliant.

We were staying at a mate's in Whitechapel (which incidentally is THE biggest shithole i've ever been in) so we just hung around after and went to a pub called Top O The Morning just near the park, had a lock-in which was marvellous.

Set list last night was better but Tuesday was still immense.

I've read a few reviews complaining that not enough 'hits' were played, but when you've got so many amazing songs its impossible to play everything. I'd have loved to have seen Street Spirit, Paranoid Android and The Bends but I bet others were gutted they missed The Tourist, Planet Telex, Airbag etc.

Absolutely love Idioteque, its such a class song to finish on. Was dancing around like a fucking mong but was just brilliant.

We were staying at a mate's in Whitechapel (which incidentally is THE biggest shithole i've ever been in) so we just hung around after and went to a pub called Top O The Morning just near the park, had a lock-in which was marvellous.

Indeed, they know how to make a gig brilliant and Thom Yorke was brilliant of course. We were all going crazy during Idioteque, so nothing to worry about.

The surrounding areas of the park were pretty horrid though. Being stuck in Mile End in an incredibly slow moving queue (and being a bit claustrophobic also) wasn't enjoyable. Luckily we managed to get our train just in time. I know others who got stuck in London, who like us probably expected it to end earlier as the gates opened at 4pm. Not sure if it was different on Wednesday.

Yeh my mate went on Wednesday and said it was pretty much the same times. Not sure why it opened so early, we got there for 4pm and just sat in the sun and drank but I expected a few more support acts to make up for it.

Incidentally, I thought Bat for Lashes were absolutely rubbish.

I've just remembered Thom Yorke's little camera on the piano that he was looking into, right funny. :icon_lol:

Yeh my mate went on Wednesday and said it was pretty much the same times. Not sure why it opened so early, we got there for 4pm and just sat in the sun and drank but I expected a few more support acts to make up for it.

I've just remembered Thom Yorke's little camera on the piano that he was looking into, right funny. :icon_lol:

Ah yes, I remember now - gave me a few laughs. Really comes out of himself on stage and he even admitted he was really nervous before the night iirc.

My mates all thought Bat For Lashes was good and I can't see why really. I thought she had one or two decent songs but overall thought the music was pretty poor. That "I saw the light" song was plain rubbish for example. They weren't helped by technical failures to be fair.

Ah yes, I remember now - gave me a few laughs. Really comes out of himself on stage and he even admitted he was really nervous before the night iirc.

My mates all thought Bat For Lashes was good and I can't see why really. I thought she had one or two decent songs but overall thought the music was pretty poor. That "I saw the light" song was plain rubbish for example. They weren't helped by technical failures to be fair.

I was quite disappointed that they came back on. :icon_lol: I agree, that Light song was awful. Every song just sounded the same to me. Although credit to some of the band for musical variety/talent - the same girl played guitar, keyboard, drum and violin!

I was quite disappointed that they came back on. :icon_lol: I agree, that Light song was awful. Every song just sounded the same to me. Although credit to some of the band for musical variety/talent - the same girl played guitar, keyboard, drum and violin!

:icon_lol: Yup, same here - got bored of them very quickly. I think the singer said she was Bat For Lashes and the rest were her backing band or something, which was a shame as that girl who played all those instruments should get far more credit.

Oh well, the main band were stunning and tbh despite what I said earlier it was still annoying to see reviews claiming the gig "disappoints". Hardly an objective fact - just the opinion of a very pedantic journalist.

:icon_lol: Yup, same here - got bored of them very quickly. I think the singer said she was Bat For Lashes and the rest were her backing band or something, which was a shame as that girl who played all those instruments should get far more credit.

Oh well, the main band were stunning and tbh despite what I said earlier it was still annoying to see reviews claiming the gig "disappoints". Hardly an objective fact - just the opinion of a very pedantic journalist.

I was only disappointed that it finished tbh, amazing gig.

I guess that was a disappointment. Where were you standing? I was near the front - did you get some crazy drunken black guy come near you? He was brilliant. Edited by TheInspiration

I guess that was a disappointment. Where were you standing? I was near the front - did you get some crazy drunken black guy come near you? He was brilliant.

Yeh we were close to the front, directly in line with Thom Yorke.

I remember a black guy charge through everyone to get to the front, was that the same one?