England world cup

I think England definetly can win the World Cup, but I'm not sure if they will, I have my confidence in the players, its just the management and coaching staff that I have my biggest reservations about.

I'm behind England all the way, I'm not one of those fans that would rather see Newcastle win a corner than see England win the World Cup, I can look beyond players as just club members, they represent my country too and I'll cheer every kick.

Squad is definitley good enough to win it, with the mix of youth, experience and players at their best. With Rooney and Owen fully fit was well within their capablities to win, if one or both are struglling the chances are of course reduced.

But as with people above, you'd be more confident with a better management team, but even this one can win it.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

the whole tournament basically comes down to owen and rooney and their fitness.

we should get out of our group but if they arnt fully fit for the knockoot stages we'll struggle.

i predict the germans or argies will knock us out on pens. the semi final would be about par. we're good enough to win it but we'll need a bit of luck.

Technically as a 'team' we have to get it together on the pitch and we have the opportunity to do so against Hungary & Jamaica. Another worry is being over confident on the ball which can lead to silly mistakes and could cost us dearly. We have the players to do it, but when you take a look at what other teams are in the world cup you can see the threat is there so we can't afford any slip-ups.

There's no doubt we can win it, but as a team I feel we still have some work to do and hopefully they are working well together with the right game plan in training now and produce the goods on the day.

Edited by Geordie Boyo

3 months ago I would have said yes, but Sven (who I've stuck up for a lot in the past) seems to be looking less arsed by the wohle thing the nearer it gets. Rooney will be half fit at best Owen is also still a doubt. The alternatives are Crouch and a kid who scored a couple of goals in the Championship. I think struggling to score goals will be our undoing. Wasted opportunity imo.

3 months ago I would have said yes, but Sven (who I've stuck up for a lot in the past) seems to be looking less arsed by the wohle thing the nearer it gets. Rooney will be half fit at best Owen is also still a doubt. The alternatives are Crouch and a kid who scored a couple of goals in the Championship. I think struggling to score goals will be our undoing. Wasted opportunity imo.

139366[/snapback]

How long ago is it since England were beaten by Nothern Ireland? As usual, the media are getting carried away I reckon. Come on Ecuador!

We've got so much threat in midfield it will probably allow our forwards to move more freely and get on the end of the ball. If they do struggle they always have the opportunity to lay the ball off to the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham or even Joe Cole in midfield to get a good few accurate shots on goal.

As I said, as long as we can work hard in our preparation with the players we have now available to play its bollocks to Sven because those players are good enough to play well enough to beat any team.

Its official, if anyone was ever in any doubt:

Sven is a cock !

Nigel Reo-Coker has been replaced on England's World Cup stand-by list by Everton's versatile star Phil Neville.

Reo-Coker's World Cup dream is over after the West Ham midfielder picked up a back injury that has forced his withdrawal from England's training camp.

But as one door closes, another opens and Sven Goran Eriksson has now turned to the tried and trusted Neville - a veteran of 52 England caps.

Neville will link up with England training in Hertfordshire on Tuesday.

The surprise boost means Phil will hope he can join his brother Gary and make the final cut of 23 who will carry the nation's tournament hopes - beginning against Paraguay on June 10.

Reo-Coker's withdrawal follows hot on the heels of Luke Young's injury-enforced omission on Monday, with the Charlton man being replaced by Tottenham centre back Michael Dawson.

I THINK IF HOLLAND GET THROUGH THERE GROUP THEY WILL WIN THE WORLD CUP

139639[/snapback]

DO YOU, MATE? :icon_lol:

I.....do.........not............believe.......Sven......has..............Then again, aye I do, what a total COCK!

I would rather Newcastle won a throw-in in a pre-season friendly than England win the world cup etc etc tbh.  :icon_lol:

139658[/snapback]

I'd rather Newcastle lost a throw in than England won the world cup! ;)

As for Phil Neville for Reo Coker what's the fecking point! At which point in a world cup is any sane person going to think, right we need to win here, we've got to change the game, quick get Phil Neville warming up!!!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Guest alex

Given Phil Neville has been called into the standby squad he's got little or no chance of getting near a game. Btw I'd far rather we'd got him than Butt as he'd be the best full-back at the club and can also play in midfield. Hindsight-tastic tbs tbs.

Just been watching the 66 cup final and i must say im feeling a little patriotic. I think weve got a good chance this year. If Gerrard can win the champions league single handedly for liverpool then he should do ok with terry, lampard, beckham, owen and rooney playing next to him!

quite looking forward to this B international on Thursday. If walcott gets half an hour and does well the Sun will have a Play Walcott petition going in a flash!