Kuyt - "Playing for the Toon would be my Dream"

smoggeordie

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/footba...-name_page.html

KUYT CAN FLY HIGH FOR TOON

By Bill Mills

THE price tag on his head is huge: £10million is Feyenoord's asking price for top scorer Dirk Kuyt.

But the powerful Dutch striker is desperate to play in the Premiership after the World Cup finals and relishes the opportunity to succeed Alan Shearer at Newcastle.

In fact, Kuyt wants to use the stage in Germany to clinch his dream transfer after both Tottenham and Arsenal decided to turn to other strikers.

Arsene Wenger flew to Holland two months ago to see Kuyt in action. The player had been in bed all week with flu and still had a temperature, and Wenger was not impressed with his performance. But Kuyt's decision to go and play despite his illness summed up his character and attitude.

"He's the hardest-working striker I have got,'' says Dutch coach Marco van Basten.

Kuyt is not the most elegant striker, which is probably why Europe's biggest clubs have not dared to splash a fortune on him.

"But he is worth every penny," says Van Basten. "He scores goals at any level, against any opposition, and he's the most fantastic person in a squad. He is the ideal captain at his club."

In his last 140 league matches, Kuyt has scored 96 goals - roughly two in every three matches. Which explains why he was top scorer in the Netherlands for two successive seasons.

Kuyt has also just been named Dutch player of the year.

Spurs boss Martin Jol is a big fan, but decided to go for Bulgarian international Dimitar Berbatov instead.

That leaves the door open for Toon, which is where Kuyt would love to fill the vacancy Shearer is leaving behind.

Kuyt resembles everything Shearer was as a player. He is a family man who only wants to play for a working-class team and scores goals more regularly than anybody else.

Even his football style is similar to Shearer. Strong in the air, he can hold the ball up well and is forever motivating his team-mates.

Kuyt says: "I would love to play in the North-East. When I was young I loved Italian football. But only because Van Basten, Rijkaard and Gullit were playing for AC Milan.

"Now I'd rather play in England. I love English football. I also think my style of play is completely right for the Premiership.

"A club like Newcastle would be my dream."

---------------------------------------------------

:lol:

Direct quote's as well

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAn't say i've ever seen him play, but i think its a realistic and believeable potential signing. Seem to remember it being reported that roeders had him watched 2 or 3 times earlier this season.

Out of all the player's we have been linked with he is the one i severly want most...

kuyt031205cols2.jpg

138928[/snapback]

Same here. I'm off to Holland in a couple of weeks and I'll be meeting a lot of Feyenoord fans. I'll see what their opinion is :lol:

Out of all the player's we have been linked with he is the one i severly want most...

kuyt031205cols2.jpg

138928[/snapback]

Same here. I'm off to Holland in a couple of weeks and I'll be meeting a lot of Feyenoord fans. I'll see what their opinion is :razz:

138937[/snapback]

I served one at work before from Rotterdam so i got the low down before :lol:

*Edit

By the way if we are even trying to pull this one off we would surely need to get it done before the World Cup

Edited by Jonny2J

Liverpool have been looking at him for ages as well haven't they? And it seems that they're finally of thinking of actually getting someone decent in, so think he may end up there instead. Going on his reputation alone, I'd have him more than a couple of times on channel5, but haven't actually seen him play to be honest.

kuyt031205cols2.jpg

138928[/snapback]

Same here. I'm off to Holland in a couple of weeks and I'll be meeting a lot of Feyenoord fans. I'll see what their opinion is :icon_lol:

138937[/snapback]

here too. If it's gonna take 10 million, we should go for it!

If all that is true, then i hope we go for him.....but more importantly, do i detect a hint of a ginner there? ;)

EDIT:

How about him and ruud? :icon_lol:

*runs off to purchase orange wig*

Edited by Toonraider

Liverpool have been looking at him for ages as well haven't they? And it seems that they're finally of thinking of actually getting someone decent in, so think he may end up there instead. Going on his reputation alone, I'd have him more than a couple of times on channel5, but haven't actually seen him play to be honest.

138955[/snapback]

We've made several offers, and though the player was keen, we couldn't agree a price with the club. I hope we get him this summer. We need strikers more badly than you do :icon_lol:

138955[/snapback]

We've made several offers, and though the player was keen, we couldn't agree a price with the club. I hope we get him this summer. We need strikers more badly than you do ;)

139030[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? :icon_lol:

138955[/snapback]

We've made several offers, and though the player was keen, we couldn't agree a price with the club. I hope we get him this summer. We need strikers more badly than you do :rolleyes:

139030[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? ;)

139033[/snapback]

Have you seen Cisse? We paid 14m for that :icon_lol:

138955[/snapback]

We've made several offers, and though the player was keen, we couldn't agree a price with the club. I hope we get him this summer. We need strikers more badly than you do :rolleyes:

139030[/snapback]

Are you sure about that? ;)

139033[/snapback]

Have you seen Cisse? We paid 14m for that :icon_lol:

139047[/snapback]

More goals than Crouch and Morientes, hasn't he?.

Yet he gets ALL the abuse. Why? His introduction also won you that Super Cup, so he's won you more trophies than your other strikers have, to be fair.

How come a club like us thats run by such a shit board can attract such high profile players ???????

139051[/snapback]

They spend our money on paying out high salaries? :icon_lol:

How come a club like us thats run by such a shit board can attract such high profile players ???????

139051[/snapback]

They spend our money on paying out high salaries? :icon_lol:

139059[/snapback]

....all set up by Sir John Hall ;)

We better sign him now because after he and the dutch win the world cup (and I'm not joking look at their run once they get out of the group stage) he is going to cost another 5 to 10M on the 10M they already want. Especially if the stories of the Arse being offered 50M for Henry are true.

Edited by sammynb

We better sign him now because after he and the dutch win the world cup (and I'm not joking look at their run once they get out of the group stage) he is going to cost another 5 to 10M on the 10M they already want. Especially if the stories of the Arse being offered 50M for Henry are true.

139137[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one Sammy - they seem to have a canny good team all round and, for a change, they seem to be going into a tournament with good team spirit. Gonna stick £20 on them.

EDIT: Managed by Marco Van Baste iirc? *drools at the memories of MVB playing and wishes we could sign Kuyt and him turn out half as good*

Edited by snakehips

139137[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one Sammy - they seem to have a canny good team all round and, for a change, they seem to be going into a tournament with good team spirit. Gonna stick £20 on them.

EDIT: Managed by Marco Van Baste iirc? *drools at the memories of MVB playing and wishes we could sign Kuyt and him turn out half as good*

139166[/snapback]

They are paying 13/1 here so I'm putting a couple of hundred on them in the hope they will help pay for the tour of jormany.