Michael is g-Owen nowhere!

Scottish Mag

Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd insists United have already signed Alan Shearer's replacement: Michael Owen.

And with Shepherd adamant Owen is staying at St James's Park, new manager Glenn Roeder has set the England star a 25-goal target next season.

But Roeder believes Owen may REFUSE to inherit the fabled Newcastle No 9 shirt.

Despite Owen's injury woes and constant speculation over his future during his maiden campaign on Tyneside, Shepherd has blasted talk of parting with his £17 million man this summer.

And while Roeder wants to bring in two new strikers to cover the loss of Shearer, he is excited at the prospect of Owen leading his front-line.

"He's here next season," Shepherd said of Owen (right). "He's a huge part of this team.

"We paid a club record fee for him and he was brought here to score goals. He was bought to play alongside Alan Shearer and eventually replace Alan.

"We didn't pay that kind of money to bring in a bit-part player. He's been injured but he'll certainly be playing a big part in this team."

Roeder said: "The week before Michael played those 30 minutes at Birmingham (in Newcastle's penultimate game of the season), he had a great week in training.

"What he reminded me of was the difference between a Premiership striker and a world-class striker, because the goals he scored that week were special.

"That's why I am so looking forward to working with him again next season."

But while Owen is set to be offered the chance to become United's next No 9, Roeder warned: "Some players have superstitions.

"He scored seven in 10 games in the No 10 shirt, so he probably feels that might be the shirt he's going to score 25 goals in next season."

So much shit comes out the fat man's mouth, who cares whether he swaps to number 9, anyway of course he won't.

And he isn't Shearer's replacement, he's Bellamy's replacement :icon_lol:

We need a Kuyt like dude to come in.

Guest alex
Arsenal interested apparently.  He'll be off like a shot if they come in for him - GOING....GOING....FACT!

140112[/snapback]

Be interesting if they bid the alleged £12million to trigger the release clause.

Arsenal interested apparently.  He'll be off like a shot if they come in for him - GOING....GOING....FACT!

140112[/snapback]

Be interesting if they bid the alleged £12million to trigger the release clause.

140120[/snapback]

How much did we pay for him again? Is this another master stroke by Shepherd?

FFS, sell him and spend the money on someone that can be arsed to play for us.

140112[/snapback]

140120[/snapback]

140156[/snapback]

He did break his foot tbf, misery-guts. ;)

140112[/snapback]

140120[/snapback]

140156[/snapback]

He did break his foot tbf, misery-guts. ;)

140158[/snapback]

And then stopped playing because he felt a twinge, later admitting he had been fine for two months.

I admit I personally don't like Owen, and never have, because imo he has no passion, and doesn't understand what it's like to be a fan of the game, not being one himself. Also, even when he was at Liverpool he was primarily interested in the National team, and I think he doesn't give a shit about NUFC.

However, forget all that, I just don't think it makes any sense from a football point of view to retain him, as he is too injury prone. We need players who are going to be available, not players like Owen and Dyer.

If it is true he has a get-out clause then that is really bad business in my book, especially if it is for 5 million less than we paid for him. I think it's fairly obvious that the acquisition of Owen was primarily to boost ST sales, which were floundering at the time. Another short-term ploy by Shepherd, that ultimately is counterproductive to our success.

Now it's no fault of Owen, obviously, but he actually saved Souness from the chop much sooner. How much better would it have been if we had invested some of that money on a decent manager at the start of the summer, with a bit left over to spend on players (actually a lot left over if you also take into account Luque)? Somple fact is, under Shepherd we are pissing our money away, and shortly our accounts are going to confirm this once and for all.

You don't like him?? But he's a scouser! ;):lol:

The thing that bothers me about Owen is that it constantly feels like we're some bloke that's going out with a lass that's clearly too good for them. You're just waiting for him to realise this and dump us.

I think we need a proper season to see how many games we'll get out of him though - bit harsh to judge him from this season. He's a better player than anyone we can afford to bring in, that's for sure, although if we're going to get so few games out of him, then obviously we'd be better off with a lesser, but fitter player.

Lad at work is saying that Wigan have had bids accepted for Huth and Andy Johnson. Two players that we'll probably miss the boat on......

You don't like him??  But he's a scouser! ;):lol:

The thing that bothers me about Owen is that it constantly feels like we're some bloke that's going out with a lass that's clearly too good for them.  You're just waiting for him to realise this and dump us.

I think we need a proper season to see how many games we'll get out of him though - bit harsh to judge him from this season.  He's a better player than anyone we can afford to bring in, that's for sure, although if we're going to get so few games out of him, then obviously we'd be better off with a lesser, but fitter player.

Lad at work is saying that Wigan have had bids accepted for Huth and Andy Johnson.  Two players that we'll probably miss the boat on......

140172[/snapback]

Fair comment Gemmill, and that bit in bold is a perfect summary. :lol:

I know in this day and age players are usually mercenaries, but I just think Owen hasn't made the effort tbh. And I find this especially sickening because of the vast amounts of money we are paying him.

Guest alex

As far as remember he said he'd been "ok for a while now", I think the 'two months' bit was a case of Chinese whispers as nobody seemed able to tie down when he said that or find the relevent quotes. In all honesty I'm still delighted we got Owen as I think he's a great goalscorer and a model pro. It's also worth remembering he got a nasty injury going bravely into a 50-50 with a much bigger bloke (i.e. Robinson) so I think comments about his lack of commitment are a little unfair. I can also understand Renton's viewpoint though and if he does move on (especially for the reputed £12million get out clause) I would have to admit that he was right all along.

I'd like to know who we should have bought instead of Owen, being realistic.....

140176[/snapback]

Could it be that hard finding someone who could score more than 7 goals in a season?

Besides, Roeder demonstrated it's how you use your players that counts, we could have managed without him. But give a top class manager that kind of money, and I think he may come up with better value for money than Owen.

As far as remember he said he'd been "ok for a while now", I think the 'two months' bit was a case of Chinese whispers as nobody seemed able to tie down when he said that or find the relevent quotes

I heard him say it on the preview to the Champions League final

Guest alex
I'd like to know who we should have bought instead of Owen, being realistic.....

140176[/snapback]

Could it be that hard finding someone who could score more than 7 goals in a season?

Besides, Roeder demonstrated it's how you use your players that counts, we could have managed without him. But give a top class manager that kind of money, and I think he may come up with better value for money than Owen.

140190[/snapback]

If we're being hindsight-tasic ;)

I'd still rather we has Owen and used the Luque lolly to better effect.

Guest alex
As far as remember he said he'd been "ok for a while now", I think the 'two months' bit was a case of Chinese whispers as nobody seemed able to tie down when he said that or find the relevent quotes

I heard him say it on the preview to the Champions League final

140193[/snapback]

Fair do's mate.

140176[/snapback]

Robbie Keane at the time was being rumoured to have been available for around 6 million?

140192[/snapback]

The same Robbie Keane who said he didn't want to leave Spurs, after being linked with about 5 different clubs?

I honestly can't believe people are pissed off by the fact we signed one of the best strikers in England.

If we sign Ruud, and he misses a couple of games, people will claim it's because he's still a red at heart.

140176[/snapback]

Robbie Keane at the time was being rumoured to have been available for around 6 million?

140192[/snapback]

The same Robbie Keane who said he didn't want to leave Spurs, after being linked with about 5 different clubs?

I honestly can't believe people are pissed off by the fact we signed one of the best strikers in England.

If we sign Ruud, and he misses a couple of games, people will claim it's because he's still a red at heart.

140199[/snapback]

Renton is possibly pissed off about it however I have not stated I am. However I do believe and have said since he signed that the money spent on Owen and Luque could have been spent far more wisely. 27 million or whatever it was on two players when we have so many flaws in other areas was a ridiculous amount to spend.

140176[/snapback]

140192[/snapback]

140199[/snapback]

Renton is possibly pissed off about it however I have not stated I am. However I do believe and have said since he signed that the money spent on Owen and Luque could have been spent far more wisely. 27 million or whatever it was on two players when we have so many flaws in other areas was a ridiculous amount to spend.

140205[/snapback]

If Luque had played to his ability like he managed in Spain, and Owen stayed fit, they would have been quality value tbh.

140176[/snapback]

140192[/snapback]

140199[/snapback]

140205[/snapback]

If Luque had played to his ability like he managed in Spain, and Owen stayed fit, they would have been quality value tbh.

140209[/snapback]

If, buts and maybes.

Even if they had been quality which I know they both "can" be, other areas of the team would still be very poor.

Guest alex
Did you see Luque's volley in Shearer's testimonial though?  OMG WTF INSTANT LEG-END!??!?111!!

140211[/snapback]

Warranted giving him another chance next season I reckon