Michael is g-Owen nowhere!

Scottish Mag

I'd like to know who we should have bought instead of Owen, being realistic.....

140176[/snapback]

Robbie Keane at the time was being rumoured to have been available for around 6 million?

140192[/snapback]

The same Robbie Keane who said he didn't want to leave Spurs, after being linked with about 5 different clubs?

I honestly can't believe people are pissed off by the fact we signed one of the best strikers in England.

If we sign Ruud, and he misses a couple of games, people will claim it's because he's still a red at heart.

140199[/snapback]

Renton is possibly pissed off about it however I have not stated I am. However I do believe and have said since he signed that the money spent on Owen and Luque could have been spent far more wisely. 27 million or whatever it was on two players when we have so many flaws in other areas was a ridiculous amount to spend.

140205[/snapback]

If Luque had played to his ability like he managed in Spain, and Owen stayed fit, they would have been quality value tbh.

140209[/snapback]

If, buts and maybes.

Even if they had been quality which I know they both "can" be, other areas of the team would still be very poor.

140213[/snapback]

Hindsight...

I'd like to know who we should have bought instead of Owen, being realistic.....

140176[/snapback]

Robbie Keane at the time was being rumoured to have been available for around 6 million?

140192[/snapback]

The same Robbie Keane who said he didn't want to leave Spurs, after being linked with about 5 different clubs?

I honestly can't believe people are pissed off by the fact we signed one of the best strikers in England.

If we sign Ruud, and he misses a couple of games, people will claim it's because he's still a red at heart.

140199[/snapback]

Renton is possibly pissed off about it however I have not stated I am. However I do believe and have said since he signed that the money spent on Owen and Luque could have been spent far more wisely. 27 million or whatever it was on two players when we have so many flaws in other areas was a ridiculous amount to spend.

140205[/snapback]

If Luque had played to his ability like he managed in Spain, and Owen stayed fit, they would have been quality value tbh.

140209[/snapback]

If, buts and maybes.

Even if they had been quality which I know they both "can" be, other areas of the team would still be very poor.

140213[/snapback]

Hindsight...

140221[/snapback]

Hindsight? Knowing that other areas of the team need strengthened?

Hardly, hence the reason I have been saying since we splashed the money on them.

140176[/snapback]

140192[/snapback]

140199[/snapback]

140205[/snapback]

140209[/snapback]

If, buts and maybes.

140213[/snapback]

Hindsight...

140221[/snapback]

Hardly, hence the reason I have been saying since we splashed the money on them.

140228[/snapback]

Not particularly addressing it at you Ritchie. Most people on here knew that we needed to strengthen other areas, but apart from Wullie, I don't remember people moaning about Owen when we signed him.

To be honest, if we hadn't appointed Souness, we'd still have had Bellamy, so we wouldn't have bought Owen. We'd then have more money to purchase other players for different areas of the team.

As you said though, ifs, buts and maybes.

140176[/snapback]

140192[/snapback]

140199[/snapback]

140205[/snapback]

140209[/snapback]

If, buts and maybes.

140213[/snapback]

Hindsight...

140221[/snapback]

140228[/snapback]

Not particularly addressing it at you Ritchie. Most people on here knew that we needed to strengthen other areas, but apart from Wullie, I don't remember people moaning about Owen when we signed him.

To be honest, if we hadn't appointed Souness, we'd still have had Bellamy, so we wouldn't have bought Owen. We'd then have more money to purchase other players for different areas of the team.

As you said though, ifs, buts and maybes.

140245[/snapback]

I was glad we signed Owen at the time, because I was convinced we needed more goals just to stave off relegation, which tbf was a reasonable concern under Souness. However, I would have much preferred getting Souness replaced instead. And with hindsight, I think Owen may have been a mistake, especially if we transfer him for less than we bought him for. That would add up to far more than a million pound a goal we would have spent. Nobody can seriously argue that is value for money, and its effects will be felt in the future.

There is nothing wrong with using hindsight btw, not if you learn from it. And we all use it, whatever LM might say. It's useful to have some foresight too though. ;)

Wullie didn't just moan tbf.  He was ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED. ;)

140249[/snapback]

I've enjoyed watching you back-pedal since then. :lol:

140445[/snapback]

I haven't back-pedalled you monkey-hanging pleb! :lol:

Shearer would have sold Bellamy and bought Owen after he took over from Robson ;)

140253[/snapback]

Tbh from what some people believe/say Shearer pretty much has sold Bellamy and bought Owen after he replaced Robson!

140249[/snapback]

140445[/snapback]

140536[/snapback]

:lol:

Yes you have.

The ironic thing is, Wullie has probably been more right than any of us, by sticking to the simple rule of being the most negative! I'm the runner up. ;)

Guest alex

I still can't believe anyone would be devastated at our signing one of the best players in the world. Wullie also reckons he wouldn't want SWP here ;)

140249[/snapback]

140445[/snapback]

140536[/snapback]

:lol:

Yes you have.

The ironic thing is, Wullie has probably been more right than any of us, by sticking to the simple rule of being the most negative! I'm the runner up. :)

140549[/snapback]

I've expressed disappointment with his attitude since signing. I am not, and never have been devastated that he's our player. So ner! ;)

When we signed him I said that we probably overspent on a somewhat injury prone player. So I was überright.

140565[/snapback]

I believe your actual words were "Ich bin ein devastater" actually.

I still can't believe anyone would be devastated at our signing one of the best players in the world. Wullie also reckons he wouldn't want SWP here ;)

140559[/snapback]

His point was, iirc, would you rather sign Ronaldino, or build a whole team for £40M. And it's a good one, I reckon. Trophy signings get you nowhere and as a result we are brassic!

140559[/snapback]

To be honest, I wouldn't want SWP here for the money we'd have to pay to get him.

Guest alex

140559[/snapback]

His point was, iirc, would you rather sign Ronaldino, or build a whole team for £40M. And it's a good one, I reckon. Trophy signings get you nowhere and as a result we are brassic!

140568[/snapback]

I disagree, Owen is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to sign. Players like Amdy Faye, Andy O'Brien, James Milner, Basedas etc., etc. are the ones that get you nowhere and fritter away the money.

140559[/snapback]

140568[/snapback]

I disagree, Owen is exactly the sort of player we should be looking to sign. Players like Amdy Faye, Andy O'Brien, James Milner, Basedas etc., etc. are the ones that get you nowhere and fritter away the money.

140576[/snapback]

Hmm, I somewhat disagree. These players are useful as squad players. The real problem at Newcastle are the underperforming big names who don't deserve a fraction of their "rolls royce wages", i.e. the likes of Bowyer, Butt, Dyer, Boumsong, Babayaro etc. And you can include Owen there, too. He is a damn fine player and I hope he stays. But only getting 7 weeks of work in return for paying a transfer fee of 16m and luxury weekly wages is piss poor...

140559[/snapback]

140568[/snapback]

140576[/snapback]

We can't afford a team of superstars at the moment though, and one player does not make us a good team, especially one who rarely plays. I'm not advocating signing crap players, but players that work together as a team win you things (e.g. Porto under Mourinho). The snag is you need a decent manager, which is the bit we don't seem to bother about.....

Guest alex

I take your both your points and agree to an extent. Not necessarily saying we should be stacked with a team full of superstars but a lesser striker would still have cost a pretty packet. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Owen (if he stays) to know if he's been worth anywhere near what we paid for him.

I'd have SWP on loan in a flash. But not buy him, no way. As long as we don't sell Milner, right wing is one of our least pressing concerns.

140588[/snapback]

EVen with Milner, I'd be looking for a new right winger.

Hopefully Milner will go, and we'll sign a decent one.

I'd have SWP on loan in a flash. But not buy him, no way. As long as we don't sell Milner, right wing is one of our least pressing concerns.

140588[/snapback]

140589[/snapback]

You don't even think Milner deserves a chance given that he couldn't really have done much better at Villa?

140588[/snapback]

140589[/snapback]

You don't even think Milner deserves a chance given that he couldn't really have done much better at Villa?

140590[/snapback]

Depends who we replace him with.

A fair few Villa fans didn't rate him as much as we obviously did last season. Still can't cross ;)