"I would punch Barnwell on the nose"

Bombadil

Shepherd's war of words

By Neil Farrington, The Sunday Sun

Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd last night stoked up his war of words with John Barnwell by admitting he feels like punching the League Managers' Association chief in their spat over Glenn Roeder.

And Roeder has waded into the row by insisting he feels he has been "a football kicked around" by the LMA - and that their opposition to him becoming Newcastle boss WAS personal.

Shepherd had already branded Barnwell "a disgrace" for his protests against Roeder getting the United job without holding the UEFA Pro Licence coaching qualification.

However, the Newcastle chairman went further when he told the Sunday Sun: "If he (Barnwell) was standing in front of me, I would punch him on the nose.

"But he hasn't got the courage to pick up the phone to speak to me - he's got my number.

"I'll throw Frank Clark (the LMA's vice-chairman) into that as well . . . another Geordie and ex-captain of Newcastle."

Roeder himself said: "You feel like you're a football being kicked around.

"They (the LMA) kept trying to get themselves off the hook by saying it wasn't personal, but in the end I thought it was becoming personal."

Several rival Premiership managers also expressed opposition to Roeder's appointment, and he added: "One thing that disappoints me is people shouting their opinions from the rooftops.

"It's amazing that I haven't had any contact with them and I look forward, at the right time, to speaking to them."

And Shepherd blasted: "If those were the type of guys who were applying for the Newcastle job, thank God I didn't get them."

It's official: our chairman is a fat charver.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus wept!  :bedhump:

Why can't Shepherd just shut his fat mouth? Waiting to see how LM will defend this latest comment........

138938[/snapback]

5th best team in country, signs England internationals etc etc B)

:lol:

138941[/snapback]

:razz:

Aye, silly me. Ctrl C, Ctrl V.....

Edited by Renton

Not half so embarrassing as those who think booing at a great players testimonial in front of a live tv audience is OK ....

Ironic.

Why do you think he should let the LMA treat his manager, and yours too, like a piece of dogshit. If someone punches Barnwells nose he deserves it for his attitude to a man who nearly died.

I honestly don't know why you people are bothered about such trivial things.

Edited by LeazesMag

Jesus wept!  :rolleyes:

Why can't Shepherd just shut his fat mouth? Waiting to see how LM will defend this latest comment........

138938[/snapback]

5th best team in country, signs England internationals etc etc ;)

:icon_lol:

138941[/snapback]

thats what matters

Not half so embarrassing as those who think booing at a great players testimonial in front of a live tv audience ....

Ironic.

Why do you think he should let the LMA treat his manager, and yours too, like a piece of dogshit. If someone punches Barnwells nose he deserves it for his attitude to a man who nearly died.

138961[/snapback]

Why do you think he should treat his club's reputation, and yours too, like a piece of dogshit.

He's a fucking clown and makes everyone laugh at us.

138938[/snapback]

138941[/snapback]

thats what matters

138963[/snapback]

So much like you also state what players do away from the football pitch is irrelavant you also think the constant bad PR that Shepherd brings to the club does not affect the running of the club?

138938[/snapback]

138941[/snapback]

thats what matters

138963[/snapback]

So much like you also state what players do away from the football pitch is irrelavant you also think the constant bad PR that Shepherd brings to the club does not affect the running of the club?

138969[/snapback]

No. Are you saying it will effect the season ticket returns or the sale of merchandise ?

Not half so embarrassing as those who think booing at a great players testimonial in front of a live tv audience ....

Ironic.

138961[/snapback]

Why do you think he should treat his club's reputation, and yours too, like a piece of dogshit.

138964[/snapback]

I'm not bothered, but I think those who booed at that testimonial are clowns and made people laugh at us.

138938[/snapback]

138941[/snapback]

thats what matters

138963[/snapback]

138969[/snapback]

No. Are you saying it will effect the season ticket returns or the sale of merchandise ?

138971[/snapback]

No as you and I both know we will continue to purchase them however that is not the be all and end all of the club generating funds. Sponsorship is a major part of the "business" these days and any bad publicity is ultimately bad for Newcastle in their future negotiations of any such deals etc

Ironic.

138961[/snapback]

138964[/snapback]

I'm not bothered, but I think those who booed at that testimonial are clowns and made people laugh at us.

138973[/snapback]

How about the people who didn't boo, who also think this is embarrassing?

By the way, the fact that Roeder nearly died has fuck all to do with this. It doesn't matter how many times you or Fred say it.

Ironic.

138961[/snapback]

138964[/snapback]

138973[/snapback]

How about the people who didn't boo, who also think this is embarrassing?

By the way, the fact that Roeder nearly died has fuck all to do with this. It doesn't matter how many times you or Fred say it.

138975[/snapback]

I think its everything. I think its at the core of the whole matter. The fact that they weren't prepared to stand by one of their own members who nearly died, is absolutely disgusting. I don't blame Shepherd for a minute for getting pissed off and annoyed about it, I would too, and I'd think a lot less of him if he didn't.

Ironic.

138961[/snapback]

138964[/snapback]

138973[/snapback]

What's wrong with booing him? I assume you'd have no problem booing Souness? I wanted rid of him, I want rid of Shepherd, why not let him know what I think about him? Granted, it's not the greatest place to do it, but when else do people get a chance to do it?

Fact is Leazes, I sense most people want him to step down - you are very much in the minority on this one. Today's latest words, which as usual you blindly defend, is typical of the man who IS making us a laughing stock. I've lost count of the number of fans from other clubs that have commented on what a clown he is. His ridiculous attitude is ensuring decent managers will avoid us like the plague - there's now way on Earth I'd want to work with him. This club is going down the pan with him as our head and you just can't see it.

I thought Fred was right to defend Roeder and have a go at the pricks at the LMA, (though he should have done it without twatting on about them being geordies as if that was rellivent).

However it was done and over with and there was no need to drag it up again with this.

Its unquestionable that fans of other clubs up and down the country think he's anything from a joke to a complete arsehole and whilst that in itself doesn't bother me it does bother me that their opinion could be shared by potential managers, investors and other important people.

As for the testimonial i don't think the booing at Shearers televised game was the best choice to make and it wouldn't make our fans look that great. But if it had happened when Souness was at the club and they'd booed him i would have appaluded it, so i can't really have a go a people who hate Fred booing him.

one of the people laughing was Shearer himself. Ive not heard one person take the piss over that incident, not one. Ive got plenty of non NUFC supporting friends too and the two man u ones in particular are quick to get a dig in when they can. They took the piss over the seven bells shit and I can guarantee come tomorrow there'll be emails waiting for me over this.

Edited by luckypierre

Ironic.

138961[/snapback]

138964[/snapback]

138973[/snapback]

What's wrong with booing him? I assume you'd have no problem booing Souness? I wanted rid of him, I want rid of Shepherd, why not let him know what I think about him? Granted, it's not the greatest place to do it, but when else do people get a chance to do it?

Fact is Leazes, I sense most people want him to step down - you are very much in the minority on this one. Today's latest words, which as usual you blindly defend, is typical of the man who IS making us a laughing stock. I've lost count of the number of fans from other clubs that have commented on what a clown he is. His ridiculous attitude is ensuring decent managers will avoid us like the plague - there's now way on Earth I'd want to work with him. This club is going down the pan with him as our head and you just can't see it.

138980[/snapback]

I think booing him shows up all the supporters of the club. Its childish and stupid. And I never booed Souness, I never have booed anyone, because its childish and stupid.

Ironic you say I "blindly defend" when I just knew others would "blindly attack".

I think fans who boo, and expect a divine right to success, like stupid bastard manu fans, make all fans a laughing stock, like manu fans. I think a lot of people would like him to punch Barnwell on the nose because he deserves it. I would.

The club is continuing to compete with the other major clubs and you just can't see it. [but you didn't say this when we were in the CL and bought Owen did you?]

one of the people laughing was Shearer himself. Ive not heard one person take the piss over that incident, not one. Ive got plenty of non NUFC supporting friends too and the two man u ones in particular are quick to get a dig in when they can. They took the piss over the seven bells shit and I can guarantee come tomorrow there'll be emails waiting for me over this.

138982[/snapback]

ManU fans should know all about being a laughing stock, I think its extremely sad that more Newcastle fans are turning out just like them

Not half so embarrassing as those who think booing at a great players testimonial in front of a live tv audience is OK ....

By the way, with you saying you do not think it is as half as embarrassing as the booing are you saying that yes you do find it embarrassing to an extent?

Ironic.

138961[/snapback]

138964[/snapback]

138973[/snapback]

138980[/snapback]

I think booing him shows up all the supporters of the club. Its childish and stupid. And I never booed Souness, I never have booed anyone, because its childish and stupid.

Ironic you say I "blindly defend" when I just knew others would "blindly attack".

I think fans who boo, and expect a divine right to success, like stupid bastard manu fans, make all fans a laughing stock, like manu fans. I think a lot of people would like him to punch Barnwell on the nose because he deserves it. I would.

The club is continuing to compete with the other major clubs and you just can't see it. [but you didn't say this when we were in the CL and bought Owen did you?]

138984[/snapback]

I'm not blindly attacking him. Look, me and you obviously don't always agree on things, but do I want to punch you? No, because I'm not a thug. So why is alright for FS to condone physical violence on someone who disagrees with him? It isn't - it makes him a thug. Furthermore, why bring it up yet again? What's wrong with the man, he's got his cheap option after all.

You say we're competing, but considering our support and income we are not. And I certainly have never laughed at (genuine) ManU fans - how could I? Look at our record against them in recent years - it's appalling. Competing? Don't make me laugh.

As for the divine right thing, ffs, name me any Newcastle fan who believes this. :icon_lol:

It's an expression FFS. Only a bunch of simpletons wouldget their knickers in a twist over this. Or those with a continuing agenda who want to pick on the littlest thing and make a mountain out of....well, nothing.

It's an expression FFS. Only a bunch of simpletons  wouldget their knickers in a twist over this. Or those with a continuing agenda who want to pick on the littlest thing and make a mountain out of....well, nothing.

138990[/snapback]

If he (Barnwell) was standing in front of me, I would punch him on the nose.

Never heard of that expression like. Can you name any other chairman who has made a remark as idiotic as this lately, out of interest?