Roeder gives hope to Magpies pair

Scottish Mag

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder insists midfield duo Nicky Butt and Lee Bowyer could yet have a future at the club.

Butt looked on the way out after a season on loan at Birmingham, while Bowyer has been tipped to leave.

Roeder worked with Butt when he was on England's coaching staff and said: "The Nicky Butt I know was excellent back then. He did very well for me.

"Lee Bowyer did very well for me at the end of the season and is another who I won't be in a rush to move anywhere."

Butt, 31, had been destined for a permanent move to St Andrews, but their relegation - confirmed by a 0-0 home draw with the Magpies last month - put an end to that.

Wigan and Bolton have been linked with the former Manchester United star.

Roeder said: "I won't be rushing into anything. There is no need to do that at the minute because there are lots of managers away on holiday now.

"We are still to sit down and talk about who will potentially still be here at the start of the season."

Bowyer, who was signed by Roeder at West Ham from Leeds in January 2003, still has a year left on his contract and may yet figure in future plans despite his hefty wage packet. But Roeder said: "In the game against Tottenham at the back end of the season, Lee was absolutely outstanding, and when he is in that kind of form, you don't want him to be anywhere else.

"I haven't sat down with him yet, but as I say, I won't be in a rush for him to leave."

Bowyer's time on Tyneside looked to have come to an end in January when manager Graeme Souness revealed the midfielder wanted to return to London, with Charlton keen on re-signing him.

However, the 29-year-old remained at the club as the transfer window closed and, after Souness' departure, found a new lease of life.

Guest alex

The wages will be the stumbling block for any moves. Particularly Butt as he has 2 years left on his contract I believe. Wouldn't mind keeping Bowyer in all honesty.

The two of them should be out the door, for a combined wage of around £100k pw we can't afford to keep them given the contributions they are likely to provide. I wouldn't mind keeping Bowyer if he was signed a new three year deal on significantly lower wages but I think its unlikely he will agree to that.

Once again, Roeder is loathe to suggest that he'd be prepared to let specific players go, despite making it pretty clear that there would be departures during his press conference.

Given the wages situation, it's likely that any half-decent offer for either player would be snapped up. What we've not done is as in the past, made it brutally obvious we want rid of a player and then be forced to accept peanuts for him.

First the comments about Chopra, now Butt and Faye. I reckon that we could see mentions of Luque having a future before long, but as with the others, he's be away at the first sight of the asking price.

Once again, Roeder is loathe to suggest that he'd be prepared to let specific players go, despite making it pretty clear that there would be departures during his press conference.

Given the wages situation, it's likely that any half-decent offer for either player would be snapped up. What we've not done is as in the past, made it brutally obvious we want rid of a player and then be forced to accept peanuts for him.

First the comments about Chopra, now Butt and Faye. I reckon that we could see mentions of Luque having a future before long, but as with the others, he's be away at the first sight of the asking price.

139496[/snapback]

I tend to think like you on this. Where Souness was a braindead fuckwitt who put his own childish ego ahead of the club paying him a fortune to fuck it up, Roeder has intellligence and does his best for the club.

So he isn't stupid enough to slag off his own players just before he's trying to sell them and will if anythign talk them up and suggest we want to keep them and will offer possibly contracts...but will "reluctantly" listen to offers etc.

Spot on. I suppose there is a chance that under a new manager, Butt may get close to being the player he was at manu, which will make him a far better propostion to keep at the club than Faye.

I also agree with Gol. After last summer, there are players we can't afford to offload, or we will have a seriously weak squad of players.

Roeder will know how Butt responds to the changes at the club and decide.

One of the problems that we currently have is that there are a few players who might be seen as good squad players but who are picking up superstar wages, never mind first-team wages.

While Butt has been persona non grata for some time, I was surprised to see talk of Bowyer leaving as I thought he really picked up form before getting injured- I can only assume that the club are evaluating his position on a value-for-money basis and deciding that they can get more bang for their buck by other means.

Roeders comments so far since taking the job, havent given me much confidence

139549[/snapback]

i disagree

nothing worse than empty promises designed slowly to appease the fans and sell season tickets

139549[/snapback]

i disagree

nothing worse than empty promises designed slowly to appease the fans and sell season tickets

139552[/snapback]

What about the Chopra situation, he isnt good enough, and Roeder wants to keep him

139549[/snapback]

i disagree

139552[/snapback]

What about the Chopra situation, he isnt good enough, and Roeder wants to keep him

139561[/snapback]

i see your point mate, but we let too many players go last summer.

139549[/snapback]

What about the comments about modernising the club? and getting the scouting system sorted out?