Roeder faces battle with Liverpool to land Kuyt

Scottish Mag

GLENN ROEDER will meet Freddy Shepherd this week to discuss Newcastle United’s close-season transfer budget. Shaun Wright-Phillips is among the players being monitored by Roeder, who has been charged with restoring Newcastle as a force in the Premiership.

Having spent more than £36 million on signings last summer, including Michael Owen for £16.5 million, Shepherd is unlikely to sanction another splurge, although some spending will be unavoidable.

Aside from a quality centre forward — Ruud van Nistelrooy and Dirk Kuyt, who has been watched repeatedly by Newcastle scouts, have been mentioned by Roeder, although competition for the latter will come from Liverpool — ideally the Londoner would seek cover in central defence, a holding midfield player and a winger capable of operating on either flank.

Newcastle made an inquiry for Wright-Phillips shortly before the 24-year-old’s £21 million move from Manchester City to Chelsea ten months ago. He made a disappointing ten league starts in his debut season at Stamford Bridge and does not figure in Sven-Göran Eriksson’s World Cup squad.

Kuyt, 25, who has scored 96 goals in 140 starts for Feyenoord, has said that playing for “a club like Newcastle would be a dream”, which drew a warm response from Roeder. “He is one of several players we are looking at and I am looking forward to seeing him in Germany,” he said.

Yet the Holland forward said yesterday that Liverpool had also made contact. “I have several opportunities, but it is down to Feyenoord,” he said.

If Liverpool want him and are prepared to splash the cash, we've got no chance. I don't see this one coming off tbh. The talk of waiting til after the World Cup sounds to me like we need to offload first which puts us at a disadvantage for getting anyone really.

Guest alex
We'll be linked with every man and his dog before the new season, and we'll sign the dog.

140104[/snapback]

_38370827_nicola150.jpg

?

;)

We'll be linked with every man and his dog before the new season, and we'll sign the dog.

140104[/snapback]

I can't see us getting any major signings this season, we simply can't afford it after a series of disastrous transfers, from which we are unlikely to recoup much money. Of course the board aren't going to admit that ever, and certainly not while STs are up for renewal. I fear Roeder may be a fall guy in all this - he has an almost impossible job, and frankly hasn't shown he is equipped to do it.

140104[/snapback]

I can't see us getting any major signings this season, we simply can't afford it after a series of disastrous transfers, from which we are unlikely to recoup much money. Of course the board aren't going to admit that ever, and certainly not while STs are up for renewal. I fear Roeder may be a fall guy in all this - he has an almost impossible job, and frankly hasn't shown he is equipped to do it.

140179[/snapback]

Harsh! He's only had the job a fortnight man! ;)

Although I do think the "waiting til after the World Cup" talk is code for "We're absolutely brassic."

140104[/snapback]

140179[/snapback]

Harsh! He's only had the job a fortnight man! ;)

Although I do think the "waiting til after the World Cup" talk is code for "We're absolutely brassic."

140182[/snapback]

We're desperately hoping that Boumsong has an amazing tournament and Barca come in with £20m for him.

Guest alex

Most teams will not do business until after the WC and we need to sell before we can buy (plus the ST money will be required).

140104[/snapback]

_38370827_nicola150.jpg

?

;)

140114[/snapback]

She's got the best set of legs out the lot of them FACTALEGTASTIC!

Guest alex

140104[/snapback]

_38370827_nicola150.jpg

?

;)

140114[/snapback]

She's got the best set of legs out the lot of them FACTALEGTASTIC!

140195[/snapback]

And she's a dog.

140104[/snapback]

140179[/snapback]

Harsh! He's only had the job a fortnight man! :lol:

140182[/snapback]

So I'm just saying what you're thinking. ;)

About Roeder, OK, fair enough, it is harsh, but I do tend to judge managers over the longer term, including previous jobs. It's unlikely he will have suddenly become a top-class manager, but not impossible, and I hope he proves my doubts wrong. I like the guy, so hope he succeeds for his sake as well as the clubs.

But as we know, the next year NUFC financial report is not looking good. I fear Roeder will be severely handicapped in the transfer market, which doesn't help him.