Huth back on the list

Scottish Mag

Newcastle are on the trail of Chelsea's German international defender Robert Huth for a third successive summer.

Huth first attracted the interest of the Magpies during Sir Bobby Robson's final pre-season and the powerful centre-back was also an alleged target for his successor Graeme Souness 12 months later.

On both occasions, Chelsea refused to allow the Berlin-born stopper to leave Stamford Bridge. But the situation appears to have changed after Huth, 21, publicly aired his dissatisfaction with the lack of first team football on offer to him in west London.

That could well be the signal for new Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder to also launch a bid for a player whose reputation remains intact because of his regular appearances for his national side.

"When you are almost always only a substitute, it is physically and mentally a much more difficult situation than when you play a complete season," said Huth, who was speaking at the German's training camp in Sardinia.

"When you practise and practise and on the last day of training before a game you learn that you will not be in the team, then you break down."

In 38 Premiership games last season, Huth played only 13 and started just seven as Jose Mourinho kept faith with first-choice trio John Terry, William Gallas and Ricardo Carvalho.

Sources close to the German have already begun to hint that Huth, in a Geneva training camp with his country's World Cup squad, sees a move to Newcastle as an attractive one, even though Chelsea's west London neighbours Fulham are also reportedly keen to sign him.

That, though, will not be greeted well by England Under-21 international Steven Taylor who, after a lengthy lay-off with a dislocated shoulder, has already been pushed out of the first team by Titus Bramble and Craig Moore.

Roeder, however, will not be swayed in his belief that the club need four top-class centre-halves competing for a place in the side and, with Jean-Alain Boumsong almost certain to leave after the World Cup, it is an area he is keen to strengthen.

Another player being linked with the Magpies is Sochaux's Senegalese international centre-back Souleymane Diawara who, according to his representatives in France, has already discussed a move with Roeder.

That would appear to be unlikely given that Roeder has still not had a meeting with chairman Freddie Shepherd to discuss his summer transfer budget.

Meanwhile, Roeder has responded to Dirk Kuyt's admission that he would welcome a move to Newcastle by insisting the club will be monitoring the 25-year-old very closely at the World Cup.

He said: "He is certainly one of several players we are looking at and I am looking forward to seeing him in Germany. He's a player I like and I have found it interesting what he has said.

"It doesn't really surprise me that he said he wanted to come here. Any player with the sort of quality he has would surely want to join a club like Newcastle."

Huth would be a good signing IMO, provided Shearer has forgotten about the whole bollocks incident a season or two ago.  ;)

He's got one bastard of a shot on him hasn't he? (Huth, not Shearer)

140145[/snapback]

Why should it fucking matter what Shearer thinks is the obvious question, but sadly one to which I already know the answer.

Edited by luckyluke

According to the Mail we're after SWP too. Pie in the sky.

140136[/snapback]

He's being offered on loan to all the Prem clubs supposedly. I'd definitely take him on loan with an option to buy.

140136[/snapback]

He's being offered on loan to all the Prem clubs supposedly. I'd definitely take him on loan with an option to buy.

140175[/snapback]

Man City have first option on him on loan though.

Guest alex

To be honest I did rate Huth and he's failed to develop (gone backwards if anything) in the last season or two. He probably just needs to play more but he'd be a big risk at the prices being bandied around.

To be honest I did rate Huth and he's failed to develop (gone backwards if anything) in the last season or two. He probably just needs to play more but he'd be a big risk at the prices being bandied around.

140191[/snapback]

Do you think that's maybe because he only ever comes on up front for Chelsea?

140136[/snapback]

140175[/snapback]

140183[/snapback]

Ah right, so we're not gonna be getting him then.

140136[/snapback]

140175[/snapback]

140183[/snapback]

140204[/snapback]

If we pay £12m, and he wants to come here. We were close to signing him before he went to Cheslea according to some Citeh fans.

140136[/snapback]

140175[/snapback]

140183[/snapback]

140204[/snapback]

They may have first option but the player himself surely has the decision on whether he wants to go or not.

Guest alex
Bumpong. ;)

140243[/snapback]

Class

Aye it would be a great bit of business :lol: Huth played well against us on the last game of the season.

140271[/snapback]

:lol: I thought he was shite, Chopra caused him problems with his movement and by putting himself about a bit. And Chops is weak as watta.

Guest alex
Don't rate Huth, myself. Very slow, turns like a drunken whale, often caught out of position.

Better than Bumpong, though.

140878[/snapback]

Not really the basis on which to decide whether or not to sign a defender ;)