Creecket!

Guest alex

Just watched the "highlights" of the final days play at Trent Bridge and you have to ask the obvious question.

Would any country in cricket other than England have done what we did. They knew Sri Lanka are bordering on being a 1 man team with Murilitheran, so why on earth would you play at Trent Bridge to suit him.

Everyone else would have chosen the 3 grounds that were going to turn the least and would favour our pace and swing bolwers, whereas on a turning wicket against Muri we were never going to chase down a big 4th innings total!

145118[/snapback]

Bollocks tbh.

We could and should have whitewashed Sri Lanka, who are frankly a poor test side, especially away from home. We drew the series thanks to some awful batting and worse fielding.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
Just watched the "highlights" of the final days play at Trent Bridge and you have to ask the obvious question.

Would any country in cricket other than England have done what we did. They knew Sri Lanka are bordering on being a 1 man team with Murilitheran, so why on earth would you play at Trent Bridge to suit him.

Everyone else would have chosen the 3 grounds that were going to turn the least and would favour our pace and swing bolwers, whereas on a turning wicket against Muri we were never going to chase down a big 4th innings total!

145118[/snapback]

Bollocks tbh.

We could and should have whitewashed Sri Lanka, who are frankly a poor test side, especially away from home. We drew the series thanks to some awful batting and worse fielding.

145177[/snapback]

Spot on LL. If the weakened bowling attack is used as an excuse in any quarters then it would be unfair. The batting and the fielding are where we really let ourselves down. Also, unlike last summer against Warne, we didn't seem to have a plan against Murali. Easier said than done, obviously.

145118[/snapback]

Bollocks tbh.

145177[/snapback]

Spot on LL. If the weakened bowling attack is used as an excuse in any quarters then it would be unfair. The batting and the fielding are where we really let ourselves down. Also, unlike last summer against Warne, we didn't seem to have a plan against Murali. Easier said than done, obviously.

145247[/snapback]

Warne isn't a cheating bastid though. Except where his marriage is concerned, obviously.

145118[/snapback]

Bollocks tbh.

145177[/snapback]

Not bollocks tbh.

We should have won the second test but the fielding was shite, but whilst the batting wasn't great in the final test it would have been enough on a wicket made for pace not Muri.

The fact is i said they are more or less a one man team, but that one man (whether its legal or illegal) is at times unplayable and ha broken all records for bowlign in cricket. So in your own country you do not play ona wicket suited to him, you play on one suited to your own attack.

Did anyone watch what Ch5 put on instead of the cricket today? Was 'The 20-20 World Cup' apparently, didn't have a clue what was going on! Didn't recognise any of the players from either side, and the umpires wore pink shirts and pink trousers! South Africa beat Bermuda in the final :shock:

145118[/snapback]

Bollocks tbh.

145177[/snapback]

Not bollocks tbh.

We should have won the second test but the fielding was shite, but whilst the batting wasn't great in the final test it would have been enough on a wicket made for pace not Muri.

The fact is i said they are more or less a one man team, but that one man (whether its legal or illegal) is at times unplayable and ha broken all records for bowlign in cricket. So in your own country you do not play ona wicket suited to him, you play on one suited to your own attack.

145607[/snapback]

Still bollocks tbh.

If we want to be the best in the world (which, after crushing Australia last year, we should be) then we should wiping the floor with Sri Lanka no matter where we play. Australia beat them in Sri Lanka a few years ago FFS.

145118[/snapback]

Bollocks tbh.

145177[/snapback]

Not bollocks tbh.

145607[/snapback]

Still bollocks tbh.

If we want to be the best in the world (which, after crushing Australia last year, we should be) then we should wiping the floor with Sri Lanka no matter where we play. Australia beat them in Sri Lanka a few years ago FFS.

145910[/snapback]

That has nothing to do with my post which stated we should prepare pitches to suit our attack and not the oppositions, just as every other country in the world does. I at no time mentioned being the best in the world and who we should and shouldn't be beating.

Anyway here's an article from somebody with more cricketing knowledge and experience than me or you:

7 June 2006

WHY IN ENGLAND ARE WE SERVING UP DRY, DUSTY TURNERS WHICH SUIT MURALI AND DESTROY OUR FREDDIE?

Ian Botham

FREDDIE Flintoff is crocked and may need another ankle operation because he had to f log himself to death on deadpan pitches against Sri Lanka - and it's scandalous.

Flintoff and England coach Duncan Fletcher are bound by codes of conduct, so they aren't allowed to say what they really think about ground authorities who prepare pitches loaded in favour of Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan - but they can't gag me.

Let's spell out what most of the country must have been thinking after the Third Test at Nottingham, where England's defeat left them with only a 1-1 draw to show for a series they should have won easily.

It is quite appalling that Flintoff - who worked so hard all winter on unresponsive pitches in India and Pakistan - is now crocked because he has been forced to bowl too many overs on bland wickets in his own country.

And England's best player has a wear-and-tear injury because ground authorities in this country seem more interested in milking as much money as possible out of staging a Test match.

They seem more interested in the match lasting four or five days than the success of the England team, and that's little short of a disgrace.

Advertisement

Preparing pitches to suit your own attack is all part of international cricket. It's called home advantage.

So why, why, why do England keep bending over backwards to suit our opponents? Judging by the strip at the last Test, I thought I was doing my pitch report from Colombo, not Trent Bridge.

Muralitharan's eyes must have popped out of his head when he saw how dry it was, and England's second - innings collapse to 190 all out was no surprise. But what the hell were we playing at? England's strength is their pace attack, so they should have been provided with surfaces offering pace and bounce - not a bone-dry turner.

And if that means some Test matches last only three days, tough. England's success should come first in the criteria for preparing a pitch.

As we saw last summer, the best way for Lord's to make a few bob out of the game is for England to win matches, especially against Australia - but all they have got to show from a 1-1 draw with Sri Lanka is an injured captain.

So what's it all about when Matthew Hoggard is reduced to bowling little off-cutters in English conditions at the end of May? I'll tell you why - because English cricket is riddled with self-interest.

It's greed, it's money-grabbing and it's almost treachery. Whose side are the ground authorities on when Flintoff has to bowl about 50 per cent more overs than he should?

So with the entire country flying the Cross of St George from its windows, here's the message to the England and Wales Cricket Board bean-counters from Beefy the Patriot: Stop being greedy and trying to make money at the expense of your national team.

Interview: MIKE WALTERS

Guest alex

I agree with both of you tbh. We should have beat them but we should utilise our home advantage. Do you think the pitches suit English swing bowlers anywhere else in the world (except perhaps NZ)?

Guest alex
Whatever anyone says, he's a cheat. Every wicket that bastard takes boils my piss. Chucking twat.

146027[/snapback]

I like the happy little chap

146029[/snapback]

Murali? He's class tbh and he's not a cheat.

Whatever anyone says, he's a cheat. Every wicket that bastard takes boils my piss. Chucking twat.

146027[/snapback]

146029[/snapback]

146033[/snapback]

Bollocks, the ICC bottled it. It's a chuck but he's been given special dispensation on the grounds of deformity or such nonsense. If he can't bowl properly then he can't bowl. Tough shit. Burn him.

Guest alex

146027[/snapback]

146029[/snapback]

146033[/snapback]

Bollocks, the ICC bottled it. It's a chuck but he's been given special dispensation on the grounds of deformity or such nonsense. If he can't bowl properly then he can't bowl. Tough shit. Burn him.

146043[/snapback]

:lol:

I agree with both of you tbh. We should have beat them but we should utilise our home advantage. Do you think the pitches suit English swing bowlers anywhere else in the world (except perhaps NZ)?

146016[/snapback]

I think Oz will be fine for our bowlers, don't know enough about it as regards swining, but the aussies will have pitches that fast bowlers can use as well as Warne of course.

But the home advantage thing is so basic and obvious i can't believe we do it every time.

Its a totally seperate issue from whether we should have beaten them or not, which was why i made the point without ever mentioning who should have won.

We should have and indeed would have won but for a spell of truly abysmal fielding which cost us a 2-1 series win. Now ideally we would have got a 2-0 or 3-0 series win, but with 3 first choice bowlers absent from the ashes winning team and the captain as well as Freddie carrying an ankle injury i'd have been happy enough with a 2-1 series win.

But theres obviously work to be done on the batting anf fielding, but also we need some of those players back and fit.

Whatever we did in this and the next series i'd make the aussies favourites for the ahses, they have been give a kick up the arse by England and look to be back to their best and with a few new players added are flying and looking for revenge. Plus they will be at home (with pitched dictated by their management no doubt) and so they are strong favoutites.

146027[/snapback]

146029[/snapback]

146033[/snapback]

146043[/snapback]

I actually quite like him, but this is what i've always said.

Its either a chuck or it isn't (and i don't know enough to say for sure). The fact that somebody chucks by choice or because they can't help it physically is entirely irrelivent with regards to the rules and the batsmen having to face illegal deliveries.

So if he's allowed to bowl illegally because of a deformity then thats bollocks to be honest. If its not a chuck then theres no problem.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Guest alex

I believe the original rule was you can't straighten your arm during the bowling release rather than your arm has to be straight. This was modified as slow mo's have revealed that bowlers (esp. fast ones) do flex their arms slightly at delivery and always have in probability (x amount of degrees is now allowed). So, they're all chucking to an extent and Murali is within the rules I think.

I see you are all ignoring my questions. Typical of so called intelligent posters. When we are all raped in our beds by the West Indies middle order batsmen I suppose you wll all be happy

146065[/snapback]

As long as they don't cheat.

Guest alex
I see you are all ignoring my questions. Typical of so called intelligent posters. When we are all raped in our beds by the West Indies middle order batsmen I suppose you wll all be happy

146065[/snapback]

Yeah mon.

146065[/snapback]

Yeah mon.

146069[/snapback]

Typical of you Alex. How about answering the question

146065[/snapback]

As long as they don't cheat.

146067[/snapback]

So you mean they can't straighten it at the point of release?

146065[/snapback]

If you are feeble enough to be overpowered by Rameneresh Sarwan then you deserve everything you get tbh.

Oh and Papa - I take your point about the pitches, but I still think it's irrelevent. We should have wiped the floor with Sri Lanka wherever we played, and your usual anti-authority rant should instead be directed at the ineptitude of the England team for resting on their laurels of last summer (despite what they all say) and not giving the cheat and his team a damn good thrashing.

146065[/snapback]

If you are feeble enough to be overpowered by Rameneresh Sarwan then you deserve everything you get tbh.

Oh and Papa - I take your point about the pitches, but I still think it's irrelevent. We should have wiped the floor with Sri Lanka wherever we played, and your usual anti-authority rant should instead be directed at the ineptitude of the England team for resting on their laurels of last summer (despite what they all say) and not giving the cheat and his team a damn good thrashing.

146212[/snapback]

I think we should have won the series like you, but had we got the pitches right we would have won the series and had the confidence of a series win which alwasy helps, rather than a drawn series and morale down at a missed opportunity, so its never irrelivent.

And even if they have slightly rested on their laurels, they've also been without most of their ashes bowling attack, their captain and for a while their form batsman in Trescothic when he disappeared for whatever reason. They are introducing new young players into the lineup who are finding their feet at test level, something which can take time and the plan will be to be back at fullstrenght, fitness and form by the time the ashes come round again, with hoefully a series win leading into them.