Be patient on transfers

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has urged Newcastle United fans to be patient and keep cool throughout what he expects to be a long summer in the transfer market.

Last summer Toon chairman Freddy Shepherd didn't act until the 11th hour of the transfer window on the final day of August to complete United's signings.

But he still ended his summer business with £17m England ace Michael Owen in the bag as well clinching the return of fans' favourite Nobby Solano from Aston Villa for £1.5m.

Those late arrivals came after United had captured Emre, Scott Parker, Lee Clark, Albert Luque and Craig Moore.

And Shepherd reiterated at the press conference to unveil Roeder as new boss last week that every one of his managers has been backed with an adequate transfer kitty.

Since Roeder took over the reins his persona has been cool, calm and collected in every respect, from dealing with unhappy players to substitutions and tactics when the heat has been well and truly on.

And it is expected he will maintain that stance when it comes to wheeling and dealing in the transfer window.

Roeder said today: "I want to improve the squad, the chairman will want to improve it.

"We are not satisfied - we know we can improve it, but we have to be patient and ensure that the player is right for Newcastle.

"What we must be certain of is that the players who come into the club achieve what we want them to achieve.

"We have to take extra care that we don't bring players into the club who are not part of the Newcastle tradition."

Roeder says that no player will be described as the final piece of the jigsaw this summer at Newcastle and admits he will always be on the look-out for new blood.

The Toon boss is currently whittling down a short-list of targets, with United and Roeder linked with a fresh name everyday.

And while Roeder is using experience and keeping his cards close to his chest, he revealed he would remain on red alert for new players even during the transfer window's four-month closure between the end of August and the start of January.

He said today: "There isn't any manager - even if you asked Jose Mourinho - who would be satisfied.

"You are never satisfied with your squad because you are always looking to improve.

"The day you stop looking to improve is the day you should be walking away from the job."

When Graeme Souness was appointed United boss in 2004, he said that the squad was the best he had ever inherited, but he failed to get the best out of them and ended up finishing in 14th place - Newcastle's worst ever Premiership final position.

In comparison, Roeder took United from 15th to seventh despite taking on a squad made up for players signed by both Sir Bobby Robson and Souness.

Roeder added: "I'm very happy to be starting off with this squad. The results in the 15 games in the league proved that this squad can achieve results."

Roeder is also getting closer to an announcement on exactly who will be alongside him in the dug-out next season, with his backroom team to be unveiled in due course.

And his predecessor as Academy coach is still to be sought.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they realise that our "patience" last season saw us paying well over the odds as it lapsed into "desperation"? I can understand them not wanting to put pressure on themselves by promising to wrap things up quickly, but I hope we're not going to be doing it all on the last day again.

Exactly, Luque was a badly planned (if planned at all) farce of a transfer. You could also argue that the Owen one was slight panic when we could have got decent strikers with better fitness records cheaper...but I digress.

Problem with getting players very late in the window is that they don't have a preseason with the rest of the squad, don't fit in quickly and contribute to our usual lacklustre start to a season.

And his predecessor as Academy coach is still to be sought.

140951[/snapback]

Who wrote that?

Edited by DotBum

Aye, we need to sell, but everyone I imagined we'd be getting rid of, Bowyer, Butt and Chopra, seem to be getting backed to stay. You're going to make massive losses on the Boum and Luque and if anyone pays anything for people like Elliot and Faye I'd be shocked.

In conclusion...who exactly are we selling? :(

Intertoto second week in July as well.  Surely it would make sense to have the bulk of our summer spending sorted by then.

140972[/snapback]

Crikey! I've just had a flashback to when we had the Champions League qualifying game against Belgrade (?) and hadn't bought anyone - nor did we after. That was planning of the century. Only Bowyer in on a Bosman.

Edited by snakehips

Guest alex

Elliot will either get another year or retire I reckon, Pompey might buy Faye. With Luque and Boumsong it'll be as much about getting them off the wage bill as anything else (we'll be lucky to get £7million in total). Butt and/or Bowyer might still be away I reckon.

It'll depend how desperate we are to get rid. I reckon the board want decent prices for Butt and Bowyer that they just aren't going to get...which is the only reason why both of them are still here imo. Some pride and a loss is going to have to be swallowed Jodie Marsh style.

Guest alex
It'll depend how desperate we are to get rid. I reckon the board want decent prices for Butt and Bowyer that they just aren't going to get...which is the only reason why both of them are still here imo. Some pride and a loss is going to have to be swallowed Jodie Marsh style.

141009[/snapback]

Their astronomical wages are the reason that people won't take them/want them for next to nowt.

141009[/snapback]

Their astronomical wages are the reason that people won't take them/want them for next to nowt.

141012[/snapback]

Derek Factzackerly, it's a vicous circle. We put them on big contracts, they want the same money somewhere else and NUFC want too big a transfer fee.

Rumour that Bowyer could be West 'am bound. Not sure how I feel about this as he was a good squad member imo.

Butt, Faye, Boomwrong would be welcome departures. That would raise a few hundred quid - enough for a season's supplies of pies for Portly Freddie but not much else.

ameobi, bramble, boumsong, faye, bowyer, elliot, babayaro, carr, luque, butt, moore are all players that we could do better replacing. Out of our squad the only ones id like to see stay are

given

harper

ramage

taylor

nobby

milner

zoggy

parker

emre

owen

chopra - at least til he gets a decent chance

and then the kids obrien, pattinson etc.

I know its never gona happen but i remember in bobbys first season when he cleared out about 10 players in 3 months. Theres too many average players in our squad to even think about breaking into the top 4

Aye, we need to sell, but everyone I imagined we'd be getting rid of, Bowyer, Butt and Chopra, seem to be getting backed to stay. You're going to make massive losses on the Boum and Luque and if anyone pays anything for people like Elliot and Faye I'd be shocked.

In conclusion...who exactly are we selling?  :(

141003[/snapback]

Owen.

ameobi, bramble, boumsong, faye, bowyer, elliot, babayaro, carr, luque, butt, moore are all players that we could do better replacing. Out of our squad the only ones id like to see stay are

I can't understand that, Bramble's proved he's good enough for quite a while now.

Also - do you seriously want to give Chopra a chance but now Luque? I know one's shown commitment, but the other obviously has the talent to succeed, if properly motivated.

i disagree. hes gone a few months without dropping a clanger but that doesnt neccesarliy make him a good defender. hes not particularly quick and his positional sense is poor.

Im willing to give Luque a chance but he just looks completely out of his league, much the same as viana did. Too slow, cant hold a man off, he still hasnt adapted to taking a touch and moving or laying off a pass. In Spain you can take a touch, look up, decide what to do, take another touch and pass. By the time he does that here hes lost half his leg to a Terry tackle!

I can't understand that, Bramble's proved he's good enough for quite a while now.

Also - do you seriously want to give Chopra a chance but now Luque? I know one's shown commitment, but the other obviously has the talent to succeed, if properly motivated.

141103[/snapback]

Bramble has shown it for a very long time, with one little spell where he had a wobble, but he will forever live with the initial view people (and the media) had of him regardless of what he does.

He has every attribute for a cb in terms of strenght, pace, tackling, heading as well as being very comfortable on the ball, having a range of passing and looking as if he may chip in with the odd goal.

All he has lacked was concentration and a decent experienced partner to bring the best out of him. He's worked on the former, been helped further by Roeder and hopefully Glen will be looking at a top class CB to bring in alongside him, or Taylor depending on form and fitness.