Be patient on transfers

Scottish Mag

Don't agree about Bramble's pace or agility. Didn't John Stead skin him?

I'm not saying he's a bad player

141165[/snapback]

Can't say i've ever seen him stripped for pace by an attacker, barring perhaps an Henry/Bellamy type who give a start can hammer any defender.

I think he's more than fast enough for a centreback.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

141165[/snapback]

Can't say i've ever seen him stripped for pace by an attacker, barring perhaps an Henry/Bellamy type who give a start can hammer any defender.

I think he's more than fast enough for a centreback.

141169[/snapback]

Agreed. And Jon Stead isn't exactly slow himself.

Edited by LeazesMag

I'd rather keep Bramble than Ramage.

141211[/snapback]

same here

I think, as squad players go, we could bring Aaron Hughes back as well. Solano came back. Souness made some fuck ups, why not put them right. We might not have much money, and when you are in that position it can be a good idea to go with what and who you know.

Hughes was a decent player, but decent players are readily available. If Villa wanted rid, he'd be a tried and trusted backup player who would integrate quite quickly. If they wanted considerable cash we could probably pick up a player of similar footballing calibre on a freebie.

141165[/snapback]

Bramble is very very quick whenever ive seen him. Remember that league cup game last season when we lost to chelsea at home after which mourinho said england have the best CBs in the world. That was because robben and joe cole had had a hard time going past bramble that night.

In addition the man's probably the strongest player in the premiership, never seen him get out muscled. He's got all the attributes to be a top class CB, but as stated before he can lack concentration which has been his undoing in the past.

Ive seen all of our games towards the end of the season, and i have to say bramble was fantastic alongside moore. Hopefully taylor can form a similar partnership with him. He's also not made one of his typical errors for a long time, which is very encouraging. Has he finally turned a new leaf?? Im afraid to say......

hadaway man. he runs like a fat lass FFS. He practically waddles!

141264[/snapback]

If he does its a fat lass who is as fast as any centreback aorund and who can keep up with most of the strikers on offer in the prem.

Its like many other things that are attatched to Bramble and remain despite all the evidence to the contrary. He is in most peoples eye fast for a CB and at the very worst people would say he's fast enough for a CB. Or people could just stick with the lazy journalists in the national media and talk bollocks about him.

ameobi, bramble, boumsong, faye, bowyer, elliot, babayaro, carr, luque, butt, moore are all players that we could do better replacing.

You our little straight edge soldier are fucking clueless!

You constantly talk up your football credentials and you come out with that list and statement.

Look at the players you have listed and think of their value, what they cost us and what they would cost to replace.

It's blindingly obvious that Luque and Bompong have to go - so that's a bit of a no brainer on your part, well done. But Donkey, Boywer, Romooreio, Elliot, Bramble and Carr, well four of those cost us nothing but wages, Bramble isn't worth selling because we would lose so much on his sale and then on finding a replacement (last time I looked we were short on squad defenders anyway and we are about to take a hit on bompong as well) and Carr is at that point in his career he is worth nothing to sell but is a valuable back-up for an already small squad.

That leaves Butt, who should never wear the shirt again just because he is red scum.

If in fact the club is skint then the only way there is going to be money for new players is if they sell one of the saleable assets, not releasing or selling squad players for the 4.50 we would get for them!

Bringing back Hughes would add nowt to the squad. He was only ever decent as a CB and Bramble, Moore, Taylor and Ramage are all better than him there. He can stay with the relegation fodder thanks.

In an ideal world I would repace most of the squad and bring in the best, but we're not Chelsea so you have to be realistic. One of Robsons biggest mistakes was selling players and not replacing them with anything better ie Solano.

I think a lot of players should be replaced, i.e. all those who are one enormous wages but contribute next to nothing to the team. Bowyer isn't a bad footballer but has played about ten decent games since he left Leeds. So if West Ham are ready to pay 1.5m for him I would snap their hands up. The same applies for Dyer who I still think is a very good player, but for 70k a week you need someone earns even half his wages, something he hasn't done for quite a while and which clueless idiot handed him an improved contract is still beyond my level of understanding. If we can cut our losses on Luque and Boumsong we probably free up another 100k+ on wages. And I throw in the names of Butt, Babayaro and even Carr I think we will get a total wage packet that could finance a whole lower table premiership team.

According to the Times today, us and Seville have enquired about Eidur Gudjohnsen who looks set to defo be leaving Chelsea. What's the bets he moves somewhere while we're in our "being patient" phase.

Tbf, I think there'll be bigger clubs than us in for him, but it would be nice if we at least made the effort.

Guest alex

Re: Hughes, I think that with hindsight it was a bit daft selling him as we could have done with his versatility this season and we didn't get much for him. Howver, re-signing him would be a backward step. I had time for the lad when he was here as he is very honest but when he played at full-back he lacked a decent end product when he got forward and his distribution was poor generally. When he played at centre-half his passing was better (I suppose you have more options/time on the ball there) and his positional sense was very good but he was easily outmuscled by a big centre-forward. Lacks height/aerial presence too.

Re: Hughes, I think that with hindsight it was a bit daft selling him as we could have done with his versatility this season and we didn't get much for him. Howver, re-signing him would be a backward step. I had time for the lad when he was here as he is very honest but when he played at full-back he lacked a decent end product when he got forward and his distribution was poor generally. When he played at centre-half his passing was better (I suppose you have more options/time on the ball there) and his positional sense was very good but he was easily outmuscled by a big centre-forward. Lacks height/aerial presence too.

141397[/snapback]

Would a step backwards not be a positive step now? Given our thin squad and supposed lack of funds I'd gladly see him as cover for the full-back positions and he'd love to come back (I think), if he wasn't too hurt by his sale.

Out-muscled by a big centre forward? Out-muscled by Solksjaer tbh.

I'd be thoroughly underwhelmed if we spent any money bringing Hughes back like. Even as cover. Carr should be adequate cover for a new first choice right back although I'm guessing Carr is on daft money. That's a big part of our problem tbh - the mental wages we put people on.

I'd be thoroughly underwhelmed if we spent any money bringing Hughes back like.  Even as cover.  Carr should be adequate cover for a new first choice right back although I'm guessing Carr is on daft money.  That's a big part of our problem tbh - the mental wages we put people on.

141432[/snapback]

That's what I meant. We have several players who are useful squad players but are on enormous first team wages. Let's say we sign a new first choice right back who is on half of Carr's wages, we would have a Bernardesque scenario within a couple of months... The wage structure is rotten and looking at the wage/turnover ratio in the last balance sheet it is quite worrying.

I'd be thoroughly underwhelmed if we spent any money bringing Hughes back like.  Even as cover.  Carr should be adequate cover for a new first choice right back although I'm guessing Carr is on daft money.  That's a big part of our problem tbh - the mental wages we put people on.

141432[/snapback]

That's what I meant. We have several players who are useful squad players but are on enormous first team wages. Let's say we sign a new first choice right back who is on half of Carr's wages, we would have a Bernardesque scenario within a couple of months... The wage structure is rotten and looking at the wage/turnover ratio in the last balance sheet it is quite worrying.

141444[/snapback]

I agree with your point about getting rid of those that are earning significantly more than their worth. The problem is a) finding a buyer and :( getting the player to agree to take what is probably a big paycut to leave. I think we're stuck with most of them til their contracts end unfortunately.

141432[/snapback]

I wouldn't be terribly excited, but I'd like to know he's backup for the left-back position, plus Carr's too injury prone to use as a backup - and to be honest I;m not even convinced he's as good as Hughes. :(

I just never want to see Elliot in a Newcastle shirt again tbh.

141432[/snapback]

141444[/snapback]

I agree with your point about getting rid of those that are earning significantly more than their worth. The problem is a) finding a buyer and :( getting the player to agree to take what is probably a big paycut to leave. I think we're stuck with most of them til their contracts end unfortunately.

141446[/snapback]

Yeah, I know. That's why West Ham's interest in Bowyer looks like Easter and Christmas in one day (though the rumour has probably as much credibility like those historical events). I also would like to know how much of Butt's wages we still paid last season. And I don't think paying a part of Boumsong's or Luque's wages for a considerable amount of time would be bad if it means that we can sell them on for a decent fee. Though I doubt there is any club daft enough to take Mr. Dyer...

Guest alex

In Elliot's defence he did pretty well at the end of last season but he's been finished for a few seasons now. There is talk of him being offered another year and even though he won’t be on a lot that in itself makes me wonder if it wouldn’t be a bad idea bringing Hughes back, unless we find a load of cash from somewhere, which is unlikely.

I reckon if we announced that Dyer was for sale we'd get some takers, actually. However, there's no way he's gonna leave if he's on this supposed £80k a week at the minute.

Re: Bramble. I think i have a fair, open minded view on him. I see talent, i see potential, i see strength, personally i'm of a view he might be a bit retarded but that doesn't seem to have got in Terry or Woodgate's way. But as for pace, he's alright once he's moving but he lacks agility, i.e. John Stead down the right wing. To say he is fast for a CB is confusing me a bit, i don't think he is as quick as Ferdinand, Curtis Davies, Toure, Woodgate, Cavalho, Gallas, Silvestre, Brown to name a few. I think Steven Taylor looks like he gets about the pitch better than Bramble. Bramble is not slow by any means, but pacy? I dunno...

I think he could be a good defender though, he's better than average at the moment imo.

Mate of mine says he saw Sol Campbell in town last week.....

141476[/snapback]

I saw Sol Campbell shopping in Fenwicks about 6 or 7 years ago. :(

141477[/snapback]

He likes to plan ahead, what can I say. :(