Bleak House

snakehips

Bought the box set on the way out the country as I missed it on the tellly.

Absolutely brilliant imo.

It's been a long time since I read the book but some of the actors got the characters just right imo, especially Guppy and Tulkinghorn.

iirc, Dickens wrote it as an attack on the legal profession as he was engaged in some court action at the time and was frustrated at how long it was taking and how much the leech-like lawyers were making out of the case. btw, how's manc-mag these days? :(:(:(

Buying box sets of BBC period dramas?!  One step removed from man-love tbh.

141023[/snapback]

Remind me how many you have in your collection again? Too numerous to count, no doubt!! :(

And, j69, I cannot tell you how good it is to read your preferences. It makes me feel quite civilized and content with my life. :(

141023[/snapback]

We'll have to watch him carefully when The Line Of Beauty comes out (so to speak).

Guest alex
just watched the final episodes of 24, lost and prisonbreak. Give me big budget american TV shows over that anyday. Although Lost is a bit shit these days

141019[/snapback]

I can't get into any of them like. I especially find Lost and 24 a bit of a con. All those episodes to wait and see what happens. Is the ending a letdown in Lost?

141023[/snapback]

We'll have to watch him carefully when The Line Of Beauty comes out (so to speak).

141033[/snapback]

Watch and learn, Meenze, watch and learn! :(:(:( (should there be a :( in here??)

btw, haven't heard of Line of Beauty. I only bought B/H as I had read the boook.

141023[/snapback]

Remind me how many you have in your collection again? Too numerous to count, no doubt!! :(

And, j69, I cannot tell you how good it is to read your preferences. It makes me feel quite civilized and content with my life. :(

141032[/snapback]

If watching bleak house makes you feel content in life you really need to find some decent pastimes :(

There is a reason that the shows mentioned above receive viewing figures tenfold of BBC period dramas. And its not because of the dumbing down of modern day TV, the basic and lacklustre expectations from the proletariat classes and their disappointing views on what classes as entertainment these days blah blah blah.

It is merely the fact that Bleak House is shite my friend!

just watched the final episodes of 24, lost and prisonbreak. Give me big budget american TV shows over that anyday. Although Lost is a bit shit these days

141019[/snapback]

I can't get into any of them like. I especially find Lost and 24 a bit of a con. All those episodes to wait and see what happens. Is the ending a letdown in Lost?

141035[/snapback]

yep, although i knew that months ago when they signed up for 3 more series :( Its going to be another 5 years til we actually find out what happened, if at all. I dont even think the producers know, they are just dragging it out for as much dosh as they can. Itl end up like twin peaks or the x-files. Itl go on for so long no one will actually care why they are there anymore!

Do you reckon popularity equals quality like? The opposite often applies tbh.

141042[/snapback]

In anything other than the top40 singles chart its usually a good marker. When looking for a film to watch at the cinema or a book to read form woolies, the top 10 is usually a good place to start

141042[/snapback]

In anything other than the top40 singles chart its usually a good marker. When looking for a film to watch at the cinema or a book to read form woolies, the top 10 is usually a good place to start

141045[/snapback]

Bollocks man! The likes of Jade Goody, Geri Halliwell and David Beckham top the book charts from time to time. :(

141023[/snapback]

141032[/snapback]

If watching bleak house makes you feel content in life you really need to find some decent pastimes :(

There is a reason that the shows mentioned above receive viewing figures tenfold of BBC period dramas. And its not because of the dumbing down of modern day TV, the basic and lacklustre expectations from the proletariat classes and their disappointing views on what classes as entertainment these days blah blah blah.

141040[/snapback]

The proletariat ???

Erm, who over the age of 18 doesn't have a vote in this country? Other than gaolbirds and the insane?

Guest alex

141019[/snapback]

141035[/snapback]

yep, although i knew that months ago when they signed up for 3 more series :( Its going to be another 5 years til we actually find out what happened, if at all. I dont even think the producers know, they are just dragging it out for as much dosh as they can. Itl end up like twin peaks or the x-files. Itl go on for so long no one will actually care why they are there anymore!

141043[/snapback]

5 years? See what I mean?

141023[/snapback]

141032[/snapback]

141040[/snapback]

The proletariat ???

Erm, who over the age of 18 doesn't have a vote in this country? Other than gaolbirds and the insane?

141055[/snapback]

eh! :(

look it up

Guest alex

141042[/snapback]

141045[/snapback]

You reckon, as has been mentioned the top 10 books are filled with shite. I think Jordan's latest one is in at the minute. I don't really go to the cinema much but if I do I tend to go for more underground stuff on at the likes of the Tyneside. Same with DVDs, I've gotten into loads of Asian stuff lately and you won't find most of those films in Top 10 lists but they knock spots off most Hollywood fare I reckon. To each his own like.

Guest alex

141023[/snapback]

141032[/snapback]

141040[/snapback]

The proletariat ???

141055[/snapback]

look it up

141059[/snapback]

Is 'The Communist Manifesto' in the Sunday Times Bestseller list?

:(

141023[/snapback]

141032[/snapback]

141040[/snapback]

The proletariat ???

141055[/snapback]

look it up

141059[/snapback]

Don't have a dictionary with me.

Proletariat meaning the lowest form of social class that don't have a say in the running or structure of the country. The vote.

*logs off to try the 'tinternet dico*

Byeee :(

-The class of industrial wage earners who, possessing neither capital nor production means, must earn their living by selling their labor.

-The poorest class of working people

I was taking the piss with the little speech there. I think i got a whoosh. And by proletariat i meant the working classes, nowt to do with over 18s having the vote.

141042[/snapback]

141045[/snapback]

You reckon, as has been mentioned the top 10 books are filled with shite. I think Jordan's latest one is in at the minute. I don't really go to the cinema much but if I do I tend to go for more underground stuff on at the likes of the Tyneside. Same with DVDs, I've gotten into loads of Asian stuff lately and you won't find most of those films in Top 10 lists but they knock spots off most Hollywood fare I reckon. To each his own like.

141061[/snapback]

what? the likes of oldboy, r-point, goodby mr vengeance, ong bak, battle royale etc. They all top the asian cinema charts, millions of chinese, japanese and koreans flock to the cinema to see them. So in this case i suppose popularity does equal quality. Just on the other side of the world.

I started to watch Prison break but I can't be doing with 22 episode marathons.

The americans need to learn it's quality not quantity that counts: Fawlty Towers 12 episodes in total; The Office 14.

141062[/snapback]

Same here with Prison Break. I do watch Lost, but it's getting right on my tit-end that they're blatantly dragging it out because they know it's a money-spinner. Also, people are taking it far too seriously - all the hidden message stuff. It's a fairly heavy-handed piece of light entertainment, nothing more.

The americans need to learn it's quality not quantity that counts: Fawlty Towers 12 episodes in total; The Office 14.

141062[/snapback]

Same here with Prison Break. I do watch Lost, but it's getting right on my tit-end that they're blatantly dragging it out because they know it's a money-spinner. Also, people are taking it far too seriously - all the hidden message stuff. It's a fairly heavy-handed piece of light entertainment, nothing more.

141074[/snapback]

So you cannot be arsed with 22 episodes yet you buy six seasons of OZ?

24 is class IMO, every series has been top notch, but then i watch them 3 or 4 episodes at a time and i understand that it can be boring waiting every week for the next episode.

Prisonbreak i think is really good too. An original program that (so far) has managed not to drag itself out. However theres now a second series following their escape and their stories on the run which could very well be shit.

Lost has just gone shit, polar bears, black wisps of smoke, the others, secret numbers etc. They chuck story lines in and then dont mention them ever again! If you had seen your mate ripped to shreds by some huge monster like in the first series youd never sleep again, never mind start trecking around the jungle on your todd!

141062[/snapback]

141074[/snapback]

So you cannot be arsed with 22 episodes yet you buy six seasons of OZ?

141079[/snapback]

There's no comparison in quality between Oz and Prison Break. Prison Break wasn't good enough to hold my interest for 22 episodes. Oz was on a totally different level.