Bleak House

snakehips

first 5 series of West Wing was awesome tv, shame it went downhill a bit.

great writing, great acting and brilliantly shot

Guest alex
Do you reckon popularity equals quality like? The opposite often applies tbh.

141042[/snapback]

In anything other than the top40 singles chart its usually a good marker. When looking for a film to watch at the cinema or a book to read form woolies, the top 10 is usually a good place to start

141045[/snapback]

You reckon, as has been mentioned the top 10 books are filled with shite. I think Jordan's latest one is in at the minute. I don't really go to the cinema much but if I do I tend to go for more underground stuff on at the likes of the Tyneside. Same with DVDs, I've gotten into loads of Asian stuff lately and you won't find most of those films in Top 10 lists but they knock spots off most Hollywood fare I reckon. To each his own like.

141061[/snapback]

what? the likes of oldboy, r-point, goodby mr vengeance, ong bak, battle royale etc. They all top the asian cinema charts, millions of chinese, japanese and koreans flock to the cinema to see them. So in this case i suppose popularity does equal quality. Just on the other side of the world.

141073[/snapback]

Aye, but you take my point surely. They aren't popular in this country are they? Also, I guess that shit mainstream stuff over there is what really tops the cinema charts. Also it certainly isn't the case with books. Anyway, it seems we like some of the same Asian films so you're taste can't be that bad. :(

Haven't seen R-Point like.

Guest alex
you seen tom yum goong? the next tony jaa film, its class!

141100[/snapback]

Nah, I'll stick it on my Amazon list though. I love all that Asian stuff, even the slow HK movies like 'In The Mood For Love' and 'Days of Being Wild'. OldBoy is the best thing I've seen lately though.

Guest alex
watched the first half the other day, havent seen the end yet. felt a bit natious when he bit into that squid like!

141109[/snapback]

It's quality like, also watched Sympathy for Mr Vengeance by the same director I believe. Another good un but not as good imo.

Guest alex
Ridiculously expensive.

Try dddhouse instead.

141125[/snapback]

Good list though, I tend to rent off amazon anyway and if I really like the film, buy it second hand off there.

Ridiculously expensive.

Try dddhouse instead.

141125[/snapback]

Good list though, I tend to rent off amazon anyway and if I really like the film, buy it second hand off there.

141129[/snapback]

I can't get off Page 1 :(

Bought the box set on the way out the country as I missed it on the tellly.

Absolutely brilliant imo.

It's been a long time since I read the book but some of the actors got the characters just right imo, especially Guppy and Tulkinghorn.

iirc, Dickens wrote it as an attack on the legal profession as he was engaged in some court action at the time and was frustrated at how long it was taking and how much the leech-like lawyers were making out of the case. btw, how's manc-mag these days? :(  :(  :(

140997[/snapback]

Too high brow for most of these plebs, man-just see the hostile responses! :(

Always loved the book and thought the BBC adaptation was good too. Just bugged me it was in half hour slots - wouldnt mind seeing it all in one go!

Guest alex
Ridiculously expensive.

Try dddhouse instead.

141125[/snapback]

141129[/snapback]

I can't get off Page 1 :(

141131[/snapback]

I just had a quick glance, neither can I. Not sure how 'In the Mood for Love' is 'extreme' either.