Scott Parker

Scottish Mag

SCOTT Parker has started his quest to be fit for Newcastle United's Intertoto Cup campaign after taking the first steps on his road to recovery.

While many of his colleagues are relaxing on their summer holidays, the 25-year-old began doing some light running on Thursday as he looks to return to top condition after a bout of glandular fever.

Parker missed the last seven games of the 2005/06 campaign, but his never-say-die approach won him huge backing among Geordie fans during his maiden term on Tyneside.

And boss Glenn Roeder says the Londoner will "be even better" next season - when he wants to free the former Chelsea and Charlton man from being "pigeon-holed" as a defensive midfielder.

The Toon gaffer told nufc.co.uk: "While most of the boys are now taking their holidays before coming back on June 28, Scott has already had his break in some ways while recovering from glandular fever.

"He has started his return to fitness by doing some light running. It's very gentle at the moment and I would think he will pick it up gradually between now and June 28 when the players come back.

"Knowing Scott, and his self-motivation, I would expect him to report back as near to full fitness as the other lads. He keeps in regular touch with myself and particularly Derek Wright.

"Scott's target will be starting in our first Intertoto game, like it should be for all the other players. That's the goal to aim for."

Parker made 32 appearances for Newcastle last term, even skippering the side in the absence of Alan Shearer during Roeder's caretaker regime. His final action of the season came at former club Charlton, when he signed off with a 30-yard screamer at The Valley for his second goal in a black and white shirt.

Many fans have already earmarked the midfielder as a future captain, and while Roeder has still to decide who will take on the skipper's armband following the retirement of Alan Shearer, he believes we are still to see the best of the schemer.

He added: "As well as Scott did in his first season, and he was terrific, people should trust me when I say he will be even better next time.

"I saw the response he got from the fans when he played at St. James' Park last season when he was running round making tackles, displaying such effort and commitment."

Although mainly used in a deeper role last term, Roeder also believes Parker is at his best when, like in his Charlton days, he was a box-to-box performer.

He said: "I don't want Scott piegon-holed as a holiding midfielder. Scott Parker is not that.

"Scott has the ability to get forward and to score goals from around the penalty area. The goal he scored at Charlton last season is an example of the shooting ability he possesses, so I want to see him around the box.

"When he was at Charlton, the reason Chelsea paid so much money was because he was Charlton's driving force, a bit like Steven Gerrard is at Liverpool.

"If Scott Parker played well, then Charlton played well. I saw them a lot in Scott's last season at Charlton and he was their Steven Gerrard, the one driving them on.

"He's a player who commands huge respect in the dressing room. He's an intelligent lad and that makes him a potential leader."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who was it on here saying he was over rated and we could do without him? We are a much better team with him than without IMO

141075[/snapback]

Supermac.

141083[/snapback]

:(

Guest alex
I may be wrong, but i do not think Ugly Mackems is much of a Parker fan..

141090[/snapback]

On the wind up already on this very same thread on N-O.

141090[/snapback]

141105[/snapback]

Let me guess, he's saying he wishes Parker had AIDS instead, or some other 'contraversial' nonsense.

Guest alex

141090[/snapback]

141105[/snapback]

Let me guess, he's saying he wishes Parker had AIDS instead, or some other 'contraversial' nonsense.

141111[/snapback]

We're a much better team without him. Just his opinion I suppose but probably looking for a few bites.

who was it on here saying he was over rated and we could do without him? We are a much better team with him than without IMO

141075[/snapback]

Supermac.

141083[/snapback]

Supermac's theory is that he is a crowd pleaser, he looks like he does the business, but actually contributes little and makes us too defensive. Thing is, he's got a point, and we really didn't miss him at the end of the season when he was ill. I also have my reservations about him, and unless he can prove he can do more than tackle, I am not that bothered if he plays tbh.

People might say McDonald spouts bollocks, but the reality is he understands the game better than anyone else on here. Whilst people on here were creaming themselves when JAB first came here, SuperMac rightly said he was shit. Lucky guess, or does he know his stuff after being a professional player and manager?

I think I will pay more attention to McDonald than J69, who reckons Chopra is a premiership player. :(

Renton is Supermac's mouth (and occasional ring) piece.  FACT!

141124[/snapback]

So answer me this - why were we much better without Parker in the team? The fact that his disappearance more or less coincided with Souness going might have something to do with it :( , but seriously, I don't know why people rave about him.

As usual I will be proved right with time..... :(

Guest alex

Supermac had an article in the Chronicle the day we signed Warren Barton claiming we'd signed the best right-sided player in Europe (along with Dino Baggio at the time). That's the best example I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there are plenty others.

Guest alex

141124[/snapback]

So answer me this - why were we much better without Parker in the team? The fact that his disappearance more or less coincided with Souness going might have something to do with it :( , but seriously, I don't know why people rave about him.

141135[/snapback]

We didn't miss Shearer in the last three games. Does that mean Chopra is better? :(

Supermac had an article in the Chronicle the day we signed Warren Barton claiming we'd signed the best right-sided player in Europe (along with Dino Baggio at the time). That's the best example I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there are plenty others.

141139[/snapback]

Fair enough, we've all made stupid mistakes/ had wrong opinions. I think his opinion about Parker has been proved right so far, but he has gone OTT. Next year it depends what Roeder can do with him, obviously.

He was spot on about JAB though.

Guest alex

141139[/snapback]

Fair enough, we've all made stupid mistakes/ had wrong opinions. I think his opinion about Parker has been proved right so far, but he has gone OTT. Next year it depends what Roeder can do with him, obviously.

He was spot on about JAB though.

141143[/snapback]

I think Parker was just about our player of the season along with Given.

Nice to read that Roeder knows he isn't just a defensive midfielder. :(

141066[/snapback]

As usual Glenn knows something simple that was beyond the reckoning of Fuckwitt Souness a man who would play a midfield of Parker and Faye at home against crap opposition and make Faye the attackign midfielder!

Parker can do the job of defensive midfielder and do it well, but particularly at home he will be better used as a box to box player who still looks after defensive duties as and when needed.

141124[/snapback]

141135[/snapback]

We didn't miss Shearer in the last three games. Does that mean Chopra is better? :(

141141[/snapback]

We missed him against Brum and he scored a vital penalty against Celtic!

141066[/snapback]

As usual Glenn knows something simple that was beyond the reckoning of Fuckwitt Souness a man who would play a midfield of Parker and Faye at home against crap opposition and make Faye the attackign midfielder!

Parker can do the job of defensive midfielder and do it well, but particularly at home he will be better used as a box to box player who still looks after defensive duties as and when needed.

141146[/snapback]

I'm not convinced about his goal scoring tbh. He didn't score much for Charlton either, did he? We need more goals from the midfield next year with our paucity of strikers - one or two wonder goals a season isn't going to cut it.

And to be fair to Supermac he was on a liquid diet when he made the comments about centre-partin.

I agree with Renton though. Parker last season slowed us down, he always wanted a touch too many.

But I like him as a player and think that he has the ability to change that and play a little more one-touch.

141066[/snapback]

141146[/snapback]

I'm not convinced about his goal scoring tbh. He didn't score much for Charlton either, did he? We need more goals from the midfield next year with our paucity of strikers - one or two wonder goals a season isn't going to cut it.

141151[/snapback]

Tbh i don't think he'll be prolific, he never has been before, i just mean he has more to offer than covering the back four for 90 mins, especially at home. He can certainly ship in with a few more goals and assists though.

But i agree, our midfield has got to bring plenty of goals this coming season. We know Nobby will chip in and Zog obviously will, he looks like a real goal threat from midfield. But the central mid and hopefully the defence as well can chip in with a few more.