Fernando Morientes signs for Valencia

Scottish Mag

Liverpool have cut their losses on Fernando Morientes and sold the striker to Valencia.

Morientes' Anfield future has been the subject of intense scrutiny in recent weeks following a lacklustre time with The Reds.

His agent appeared to intimate earlier this week that the 30-year-old would see out the remaining two years on his contract with the Premiership club.

But Liverpool have now agreed to sell Morientes to Valencia for an undisclosed fee, after the forward was also linked with Real Betis and Espanyol.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez splashed out £6.3 million to bring Morientes to Merseyside from Real Madrid in January 2005.

Morientes, though, failed to provide a significant return on the investment as he mustered just 12 goals in 61 appearances.

He struggled to adjust to the demands of Premiership football and has now returned to La Liga, where he forged a reputation as one of the most consistent goalscorers in the European game.

The length of Morientes' contract has yet to be revealed and the move will be a boost to the player, who missed out on Spain's World Cup squad.

His last appearance for Liverpool was in the FA Cup final when he came on as a substitute in the penalty shoot-out success over West Ham United.

I bet hes does a great job for Valencia..

141229[/snapback]

I could quite believe that.

There is no denying he's a good player, but for me he's another example of how Spanish players don't excell in the Premiership, the only examples of good Spanish players in the premiership being the likes of Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia, clearly having a Spaniard as a manager has helped them.

141229[/snapback]

There is no denying he's a good player, but for me he's another example of how Spanish players don't excell in the Premiership, the only examples of good Spanish players in the premiership being the likes of Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia, clearly having a Spaniard as a manager has helped them.

141232[/snapback]

It didn't help Morientes though!

Kluivert also struggled - whilst not Spanish himself he had been at Barca for years.

141229[/snapback]

141232[/snapback]

Kluivert also struggled - whilst not Spanish himself he had been at Barca for years.

141239[/snapback]

He wasn't really given a fair shot though considering fuckwit took charge. :(

141229[/snapback]

141232[/snapback]

141239[/snapback]

He wasn't really given a fair shot though considering fuckwit took charge. :(

141240[/snapback]

Yes, i'm loath to judge the performance of any player new to the prem when they spen their time under fuckwitt souness. I'd barely think it fair to judge players who've spent their lives in the prem with that twat in charge!

How much did they get for him?

141246[/snapback]

Morientes ? "undisclosed fee"

141256[/snapback]

A pittance in other words.

141260[/snapback]

agreed, although when you consider his wages against what he was producing on the pitch for them, it was probably a wise decision.

Owen or Kuyt to Liverpool then? :(

141295[/snapback]

They can have Kuyt and we can pair up Owen with Gudjohnsen.

Or they can buy Owen and we can use the money towards Kuyt (and maybe Defoe).

141302[/snapback]

To be honest, either way works for me.

Owen or Kuyt to Liverpool then? :(

141295[/snapback]

They can have Kuyt and we can pair up Owen with Gudjohnsen.

Or they can buy Owen and we can use the money towards Kuyt (and maybe Defoe).

141302[/snapback]

To be honest, either way works for me.

141303[/snapback]

:( If only it were that simple.

Defoe to Liverpool looks nailed on to me.

141310[/snapback]

Hope not, but I think you might be right :(

Morientes is an top-class player, but he never got used to the speed of the English game. I hope he has more luck at Valencia, and I hope we finally sign a decent striker.

141229[/snapback]

141232[/snapback]

Fabregas looks good enough to me, Reyes ain't bad either.

141229[/snapback]

141232[/snapback]

141479[/snapback]

What they have in their favour is that they are still quite young so won't have had much chance to get used to the slower pace of La Liga, wheras Morientes spent virtually all of his fairly long (he's 30 I think) career there.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks tbh.

141229[/snapback]

141232[/snapback]

141479[/snapback]

What they have in their favour is that they are still quite young so won't have had much chance to get used to the slower pace of La Liga, wheras Morientes spent virtually all of his fairly long (he's 30 I think) career there.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks tbh.

141491[/snapback]

I don't think it's necessarily age. Some players can adapt, some can't.