Bolton and Wigan join Milner hunt

Scottish Mag

WIGAN and Bolton are both ready to hijack Aston Villa’s bid to sign James Milner.

Villa manager David O’Leary is desperate to land the Newcastle winger on a permanent basis after he impressed during a loan spell last season.

But O’Leary will be stunned to learn he has competition

for the 20-year-old’s signature from two Premiership rivals.

And Toon boss Glenn Roeder could yet opt to hang on to the £3million-rated youngster for next season.

Roeder is due for talks with chairman Freddy Shepherd this weekend to discuss the current squad and how much money he has available.

If he is forced to do some wheeling and dealing, then Milner could be sacrificed.

But, ideally, Roeder would like to give the former Leeds starlet a chance to impress.

He said: “We know James did very well at Villa last season and we don’t have to rush into making a decision.

“I will be sitting down with the chairman to discuss the squad — and that will include discussing James’ future.”

Both Bolton and Wigan have money to spend this summer and could be ready to outbid Villa, whose funds are again limited.

Newcastle midfielder Lee Bowyer is likely to be granted his wish of a return to London this summer.

The ex-England international is wanted by West Ham.

And the Geordies would be willing to let him go for around £1.5m. Bowyer, 29, played for the Hammers under Roeder and also impressed the new Toon boss when he took charge at St James’ Park in February.

But a hamstring injury ended Bowyer’s season early and, as he is unlikely to sign another contract, the club are likely to let him go.

Meanwhile, Villa are spending £700,000 to lay a new pitch. Boss O’Leary blamed the old surface for causing some of the injuries his players suffered last season.

He said: “The old pitch was put down 10 years ago.

“It was very hard and dry and there was a lot of pounding on the joints.”

Nah, I think they've definitely had a £5.5m bid for Huth accepted. Lad at work is mates with a Wigan season ticket holder, and he was telling me about the AJ/Huth bids the other day before they became Breaking News on Sky.

I don't think we've accepted any bids for Milner yet.

Nah, I think they've definitely had a £5.5m bid for Huth accepted.  Lad at work is mates with a Wigan season ticket holder, and he was telling me about the AJ/Huth bids the other day before they became Breaking News on Sky.

141386[/snapback]

Jesus H Lucifer.

Nah, I think they've definitely had a £5.5m bid for Huth accepted.  Lad at work is mates with a Wigan season ticket holder, and he was telling me about the AJ/Huth bids the other day before they became Breaking News on Sky.

141386[/snapback]

Jesus H Lucifer.

141389[/snapback]

Exactly. Huth has been linked with a couple of Jorman teams, but nobody thinks anyone should spend more than 3-4m Euro (!) on him. :(

141386[/snapback]

Jesus H Lucifer.

141389[/snapback]

Aye, at that price, we can't afford to get in on this one.

Exactly. Huth has been linked with a couple of Jorman teams, but nobody thinks anyone should spend more than 3-4m Euro (!) on him.  :(

141393[/snapback]

I can certainly see him becoming a defender worth that much, or more. But to pay that for a defender with potential?

Exactly. Huth has been linked with a couple of Jorman teams, but nobody thinks anyone should spend more than 3-4m Euro (!) on him.  :(

141393[/snapback]

I can certainly see him becoming a defender worth that much, or more. But to pay that for a defender with potential?

141415[/snapback]

How much did Bramble cost us again? :(

Bobby doing Ipswich a favour tbh.

141496[/snapback]

A certain Scotsman got a lot more grief for the same thing.

Guest alex
Bobby doing Ipswich a favour tbh.

141496[/snapback]

A certain Scotsman got a lot more grief for the same thing.

141500[/snapback]

He's better than Boumsong like and I quite like Bramble (done very well this season in particular). Just reckon we could have got him for less. I think Ambrose was a similar case tbh.

He's better than Boumsong like and I quite like Bramble (done very well this season in particular). Just reckon we could have got him for less. I think Ambrose was a similar case tbh.

141507[/snapback]

Understatement of the millenium. :(

If its true then we should relaise theres a reason why three prem clubs are happy to sign Millner and we should have the brains to keep him and see what he can do.

Failing that we should be looking to get avery good fee for him from one of the three clubs.

And as Gemmill said we should make sure he goes to anyone but Villa to piss off David O' Weirpig