Chopra to leave?

Scottish Mag

Michael Chopra is poised to call time on his career at St James's Park after admitting that he is unlikely to sign a new contract with Newcastle.

The 22-year-old has been offered a new 12-month deal for the second successive summer, but, with Glenn Roeder determined to land a high-profile striker to partner Michael Owen next season, Chopra knows his first-team opportunities will again be limited on Tyneside.

Barnsley and Watford, both of whom have benefited from Chopra's loan services in recent times, have been linked with a player who will be a free agent when his present deal expires next month. Given his determination to find regular action, both clubs will be confident of securing his signature.

"I have been offered a new deal by Newcastle but it's only for one year," said Chopra, who last night admitted that a move to Oakwell would be attractive should the Tykes overcome Swansea in tomorrow's League One play-off final.

"I need to be playing first-team football and I think that I will find myself down the pecking order again.

"I really enjoyed my time at Barnsley and coming back to Oakwell will always be an attractive option for me. But there are other teams interested so we will have to wait and see."

I feel sorry for the lad, especially when he can see a player of equal incompetence getting into the team on a weekly basis in the guise of Ameobi.

I feel sorry for the lad, especially when he can see a player of equal incompetence getting into the team on a weekly basis in the guise of Ameobi.

141413[/snapback]

No place for sentiiment etc., plus, he really isn't as good as Ameobi.

141413[/snapback]

141424[/snapback]

If we strapped each of them to the front of a bus and crashed them into each other at 88 mph, I reckon we'd have the makings of a decent striker, or a big mess..either way the club wins.

I feel sorry for him too as for a while he was talked up as the next Big Thing, but time has shown that he's never going to be that. He seems to know it himself by the sounds of it.

141413[/snapback]

141424[/snapback]

If we strapped each of them to the front of a bus and crashed them into each other at 88 mph, I reckon we'd have the makings of a decent striker, or a big mess..either way the club wins.

141428[/snapback]

Sounds like a worthy experiment tbh.

Guest alex

Chops won't be on much money like. I think he’s probably realised that since he’s only getting offered another year it’s time to move on for the sake on his long-term career.

Sounds like a worthy experiment tbh.

141437[/snapback]

If they have any love for the club they'll agree. If I was being payed all that cash for kicking a football, I'd agree to certain death.

Someone needs to start a website so the club knows what we, the fans feel.

Good luck to him like. It's a shame he never fulfilled the potential we were all told he had. It must be soul-destroying to sit and watch Shola given all the opportunities he's had in the first team (Europe, FA Cup Semi Final at Cardiff etc.) while you get farmed out on loan to Barnsley. I'm not saying Chopra is as good as Shola, cos he's not, but with the experience Shola's had he could very well have been.

Good luck to him like.  It's a shame he never fulfilled the potential we were all told he had.  It must be soul-destroying to sit and watch Shola given all the opportunities he's had in the first team (Europe, FA Cup Semi Final at Cardiff etc.) while you get farmed out on loan to Barnsley.  I'm not saying Chopra is as good as Shola, cos he's not, but with the experience Shola's had he could very well have been.

141443[/snapback]

I think natural ability might come into it somewhere like, otherwise I'm really pissed off I went to University and got a "normal" job.

Good luck to him like.  It's a shame he never fulfilled the potential we were all told he had.  It must be soul-destroying to sit and watch Shola given all the opportunities he's had in the first team (Europe, FA Cup Semi Final at Cardiff etc.) while you get farmed out on loan to Barnsley.  I'm not saying Chopra is as good as Shola, cos he's not, but with the experience Shola's had he could very well have been.

141443[/snapback]

I think natural ability might come into it somewhere like, otherwise I'm really pissed off I went to University and got a "normal" job.

141451[/snapback]

He's got natural ability though hasn't he. I wouldn't underestimate what 200 games in the first team can do to improve your game if you apply yourself the way Chopra does.

141443[/snapback]

141451[/snapback]

He's got natural ability though hasn't he. I wouldn't underestimate what 200 games in the first team can do to improve your game if you apply yourself the way Chopra does.

141454[/snapback]

I don't think he has at this level, no. Or at least he's damn good at hiding it. 200 games later he'd still lack technical ability imo.

We all know the bottom line is neither are good enough, but if we have to choose, I reckon it's Ameobi every time. Anyway, at least he scored against the mackems, so he will have something nice to remember!

BARNSLEY are keen to complete a £250,000 move for Newcastle striker Michael Chopra. Glenn Roeder has offered the player a new deal at St James' Park, but Chopra wants the promise of regular first-team football.

Roeder can't give that assurance, so Barnsley chief Andy Ritchie could land the 22-year-old forward.

Barnsley will have to pay compensation now Chopra has been offered a fresh Toon contract.