Rooney to miss World Cup

Guest alex

It's a big shame like.  England's hopes aside, the WC is all about seeing the top players play on the biggest stage.  Fully fit he would have been one of the players of the tournament.

141552[/snapback]

Shame for the lad in a way, this was his best chance. I can't see him improving with age, and England are going to find it more difficult in a non-European country (South Africa). Still, there's always the Euros.

Would it be worth starting with lennon on the left? his main attribute is his pace anyway, joe cole has had a great season but he was shite when he came on last night!

141573[/snapback]

Lennon on the left and Cole upfront?

I honestly honestly believe, if rooney was fit wed have a great chance of winning this world cup. Lets just hope the rest of the team has enough class to carry a second striker who isnt.

what about lamps and becks in the middle, lennon on the right and gerrard playing behind owen?

The Beeb have changed their tune like.  Now he won't be able to train for 3 weeks.  Wasn't it 6 weeks half an hour ago? :(

141581[/snapback]

Its a conspiracy :(

The Beeb have changed their tune like.  Now he won't be able to train for 3 weeks.  Wasn't it 6 weeks half an hour ago? :(

141581[/snapback]

Its a conspiracy :(

141585[/snapback]

Rooney's had Ferguson in a BO head lock for the last half an hour negotiating him down.

I honestly honestly believe, if rooney was fit wed have a great chance of winning this world cup. Lets just hope the rest of the team has enough class to carry a second striker who isnt.

what about lamps and becks in the middle, lennon on the right and gerrard playing behind owen?

141578[/snapback]

Probably the best team at the tournament, but I reckon you haven't a prayer with Sven around.

Really getting quite excited about it now it's so close.

It's a big shame like.  England's hopes aside, the WC is all about seeing the top players play on the biggest stage.  Fully fit he would have been one of the players of the tournament.

141552[/snapback]

Totally agree.

Even if he is cleared on June 14th and then be able to start training again it means he won't have had any training for nearly two months. I seriously doubt that he will gain the sufficient fitness in time. His muscles will have degenerated a lot in this time and I can't see how he can train and put any stress on his leg with a broken metatarsel.

141581[/snapback]

It was 6 weeks since the injury, meaning he'll be training in 2 weeks. SSN ran the wrong story for 15 minutes too.

141578[/snapback]

Probably the best team at the tournament, but I reckon you haven't a prayer with Sven around.

Really getting quite excited about it now it's so close.

141595[/snapback]

:( Err.....Brazil, Argentina, Holland....

Incidentally, why is the Spanish shirt Kryptonite to their players? I think they have a large number of real quality individuals and 1 or 2 absolute top notch players. Together though, they're pants!

:(  Err.....Brazil, Argentina, Holland....

Incidentally, why is the Spanish shirt Kryptonite to their players? I think they have a large number of real quality individuals and 1 or 2 absolute top notch players. Together though, they're pants!

141619[/snapback]

Err...I'm aware of who's going, I stick by what I said. :(

Agree about Spain too. Just proves there's more to a team than the individuals.

141619[/snapback]

141622[/snapback]

Well, i hope you're right. I think too many english players are overated and so few of them play abroad they are unused to other styles of football, be it South American or Continental (bit of a broad term), where as SA and European squad have players who play in diffrerent countries, i think this helps.

Well, i hope you're right. I think too many english players are overated and so few of them play abroad they are unused to other styles of football, be it South American or Continental (bit of a broad term), where as SA and European squad have players who play in diffrerent countries, i think this helps.

141636[/snapback]

I agree with that, but then you have to look a litle bit at why so many of these players are in other countries. Anything other than Spain or Italy would be a step down. But when all factors are considered I believe England have a good team ethic and the most talent you've had, or may have again for quite a long time. They need a manager to kick their arses though and obviously tactics are important. I think they'd have a better shot with McClaren, to be honest.

Guest alex

141619[/snapback]

141622[/snapback]

141636[/snapback]

Due to them being the 3 biggest leagues, not many top Spanish, English or Italian players play abroad. And since the war, they've only won two world cups between them. You may be onto something.

Due to them being the 3 biggest leagues, not many top Spanish, English or Italian players play abroad. And since the war, they've only won two world cups between them. You may be onto something.

141643[/snapback]

In England's case that's just been the shitness tbh. :(

Guest alex

141643[/snapback]

In England's case that's just been the shitness tbh. :(

141645[/snapback]

I'm not saying that isn't the case, I'm trying to explain why :(

On one Saturday toward the end of the season, I saw reported that there were only 26 English players starting in the premier league. I doubt if you'd have such a situation ocurring in either Spain or Italy because of their rules and you'd never have a team like arse fielding 11 foreign players. If English players go to these leagues it's invariably the stars such as Beckham, Gascoigne, Souness even. Our problem is that, like many things now in the UK ( police force, healthcare system, corrupt politicians ) we are prepared to settle for for third rate quality and hence import sh!te like amdy faye and all of the other mediocre foreign rubbish that is supposed to enhance the premier league. This is to the detriment of home grown players. I have no problem with the henry's and pires's of this world but can't understand why we import the other crap.

On one Saturday toward the end of the season, I saw reported that there were only 26 English players starting in the premier league. I doubt if you'd have such a situation ocurring in either Spain or Italy because of their rules and you'd never have a team like arse fielding 11 foreign players. If English players go to these leagues it's invariably the stars such as Beckham, Gascoigne, Souness even. Our problem is that, like many things now in the UK ( police force, healthcare system, corrupt politicians ) we are prepared to settle for for third rate quality and hence import sh!te like amdy faye and all of the other mediocre foreign rubbish that is supposed to enhance the premier league. This is to the detriment of home grown players. I have no problem with the henry's and pires's of this world but can't understand why we import the other crap.

141741[/snapback]

I think the rules are even more lenient in most other European countries. The work-permit regulation with its criteria in the UK who apply for footballers are much tougher than everything you have in Spain or Italy. Especially loads of the South Americans playing in those leagues wouldn't qualify for playing in the Premierleague.

Edited by Isegrim

Re Spain being shit - it's difficult to find the motivation when approximately 75% of the country wants you to lose (Basque seperatists, Catalonians etc). Apparently.

141871[/snapback]

Aye i heard Guardiola say that just the otherday