First Belarus Goal - legal?

walkinthedog

Obviously the keeper had injured himself or he would have got up straight away to defend the goal from his miskick.

Refs are constantly stopping the game when players go down injured away from the ball and lie on the ground for long enough for it to look serious.

It looked serious and because of the circumstances the ref didn't have time to see how long the keeper was going to lie there before he made the call. Surely the keeper is the one player when you really should stop the game due to injury as his inability to play - even for a few seconds - can have a massive impact on the game.

Anyone on here done any refereeing courses?

Poor lad, btw. real sickener.

I don't blame the Belarus striker from bagging his goal at all, as a footballer you play until the whistle, end of story.

Owen was a mile off-side for our goal anyway.

Aye, sad for Green, but I thought it was canny funny the way the Belarus lad just knocked it in the net tbh. He should have run up to Green, played a one-two off his head, then backheeled it in though. That would have been better.

Fair goal for me as you play to the whistle and there is far too much stopping the game in football as it is.

But who on here like me thinks a toon player would have kicked the fecking ball out of play for a throw in!

Fair goal for me as you play to the whistle and there is far too much stopping the game in football as it is.

But who on here like me thinks a toon player would have kicked the fecking ball out of play for a throw in!

141684[/snapback]

It would have fallen to Dyer and he'd have injured himself trying to stick the ball in an empty net...

141684[/snapback]

It would have fallen to Dyer and he'd have injured himself trying to stick the ball in an empty net...

141711[/snapback]

You're assuming he was actually ft to play in the first place!

Or Shola would have got it and looked to pass it instead of shoot!

Aye, sad for Green, but I thought it was canny funny the way the Belarus lad just knocked it in the net tbh.  He should have run up to Green, played a one-two off his head, then backheeled it in though.  That would have been better.

141600[/snapback]

:(:(:( then gone on a wild arm-twirling celebration around the pitch.

At leasy he didnt celebrate his goal though. I agree with the consensus here, he was right to put it in, worry about Green afterwards, which he did.

I think the scorer was right to do what he did, what I was asking is did the ref make a blunder in allowing the goal/not stopping play due to injury?

141806[/snapback]

No way is it the ref's fault for crying out loud!! Why should he stop play? if refs did that everytime a player went down the game would stop every 30 seconds. And had he stopped play and Green would have been fine, he would have been blasted by the Belarus.

Whilst the injury is tragic for Green, its not bad news for England in my opinion, Green has been in absolute shocking form this season for Norwich City.

I think the scorer was right to do what he did, what I was asking is did the ref make a blunder in allowing the goal/not stopping play due to injury?

141806[/snapback]

No way is it the ref's fault for crying out loud!! Why should he stop play? if refs did that everytime a player went down the game would stop every 30 seconds. And had he stopped play and Green would have been fine, he would have been blasted by the Belarus.

141807[/snapback]

Because it's the keeper?

Think back to Di Canio a few years back when he refused to score when the keeper was down injured.

Ref should have stopped it, but does it really matter anyway? If it happened in the world cup then I'd be complaining though.

141806[/snapback]

141807[/snapback]

Because it's the keeper?

Think back to Di Canio a few years back when he refused to score when the keeper was down injured.

Ref should have stopped it, but does it really matter anyway? If it happened in the world cup then I'd be complaining though.

141825[/snapback]

First thing I thought of when it happened. When it happens THAT quickly it's entirely to the player's discretion, DiCanio chose to stop play, the bloke last night decided not to. But indeed doesnt really matter.

141806[/snapback]

141807[/snapback]

Because it's the keeper?

141825[/snapback]

First thing I thought of when it happened. When it happens THAT quickly it's entirely to the player's discretion, DiCanio chose to stop play, the bloke last night decided not to. But indeed doesnt really matter.

141827[/snapback]

I think most people wouldn't have done what Di Canio did; but they should.

141806[/snapback]

I can just imagine it, every time someone breaks through our defence for a shot on goal, amoebi hoys himself on the floor at the other end of the pitch and the ref disallows the goal :(

141806[/snapback]

I can just imagine it, every time someone breaks through our defence for a shot on goal, amoebi hoys himself on the floor at the other end of the pitch and the ref disallows the goal :(

141848[/snapback]

I know you're joking, but don't you agree at all with the notion that the game should be stopped if the keeper is injured and the ball is near his goal?

No reason to stop the game at all. If they set the precedent then any time a goalkeeper miscues his clearance like that he'll just drop like he's been shot to stop the match.

If the clearance went upfield and there was more than two seconds between his goal-kick and the player bearing down on him, then by all means stop the match.