Sol Campbell for the Toon ?

Jimbo

SOL CAMPBELL has been left stunned after being told: Your Arsenal career is over.

The England defender's departure will now alert Newcastle, Inter Milan and Fenerbahce.

An Arsenal insider revealed: "Sol's played his last game for us — he's been told he can go.

"It came as a big surprise for him but he has been very high maintenance in recent times.

"He's had a lot of off-field problems and one or two on it.

"Remember he took it badly when he was left out of last year's FA Cup final against Manchester United and then this season he went walk-about after being subbed at half time against West Ham.

"So I guess the club has decided enough is enough and that it's best for everyone if he finds another team."

Arsenal are now ready to listen to offers for Campbell, who has two years of his £80,000 a week contract still to run.

Campbell controversailly quit first club Tottenham to join their arch-rivals Arsenal at Highbury almost five years ago.

Since then he's made 197 appearances for the Gunners, his last the Champions League final against Barcelona in Paris in which he scored a stunning header to put the Londoners ahead before Barca bounced back to win 2-1.

Campbell has enjoyed success at Highbury where he's won two Premiership titles and two FA Cups in that time.

yes please! For the right price of course, but Sol could do really well here.

142247[/snapback]

He doesn't have long left on his contract does he?

That and he's getting on a bit.

Would still be a good signing though.

yes please. campbell alongside taylor would tighten things up at the back.

he'll want a fair bit of wedge mind. i can only see us getting him if we manage to offload boumsong

yes please. campbell alongside taylor would tighten things up at the back.

he'll want a fair bit of wedge mind. i can only see us getting him if we manage to offload boumsong

142253[/snapback]

Swap deal. :nufc:

I suppose Campbell still has a couple of good years left in him, his presence could really help develop taylor and bramble.

Bid 2M I say and no more

But the fact that we've offered elliot a new deal tells me we wont be signing a defender this summer. big mistake imo

I can't think of a single summer in my 40+ years at SJP when we shouldn't have signed a defender.........................................

I can't think of a single summer in my 40+ years at SJP when we shouldn't have signed a defender.........................................

142588[/snapback]

Soopafan tbh.

:nufc:

Glenn Roeder is preparing to step up his attempts to lure Sol Campbell to St James's Park as the competition for Robert Huth's signature continues to intensify.

The Newcastle boss is determined to sign an accomplished centre-half to replace Jean-Alain Boumsong and, although Huth has been earmarked as a chief target, the mounting interest in the German international is threatening to spark a Premiership bidding war.

Wigan have already tabled an offer of £5.5m for the in-demand 21-year-old and, with agent Manfred Schulte scheduled to hold talks with Everton and Middlesbrough also understood to be preparing a bid, the asking price can only increase.

With Roeder determined to ensure he does not pay over the odds for any player during his maiden summer at the United helm, alternative targets will go under close scrutiny.

Campbell's name has long been on a list of prospective Magpies signings and with Arsenal now prepared to sanction the 31-year-old's departure, it seems the England international has moved to the front of the queue.

Preliminary discussions are understood to have been held with the player's representatives and the Londoner is believed to have indicated a willingness to move to the North-East.

As is the case with Huth, Campbell will not commit his future until his World Cup campaign has come to an end. But with the groundwork having already been laid, United appear to be well-placed to strike a deal with the Gunners once England's participation in the tournament has concluded.

Fulham last night emerged as rivals in the race to recruit a player who has also been courted by Fenerbahce.

But although the Cottagers will offer Campbell the chance to remain in the capital, the lure of European football - Newcastle are just one two-legged Intertoto Cup triumph away from next season's Uefa Cup - means Roeder is in the driving seat.

Where that leaves Huth, who will miss Germany's friendly against Japan this evening having injured his ankle during Saturday's 7-0 victory over Luxembourg, remains to be seen.

David Moyes, who was last night poised to clinch the signature of £8.5m striker Andy Johnson, is confident that he can also land the defender.

But Boro are also keen, with Steve Gibson determined to ensure the absence of a manager at the Riverside does not prevent the club competing in the transfer market this summer.

The Teessiders are expected to discover today whether Martin O'Neill will agree to succeed Steve McClaren. But regardless of the decision, Huth will remain a target.

He will also remain in Roeder's sights, although the first priority of the United boss will be to sell rather than buy. Talks are scheduled to be held this week with Nicky Butt to thrash out the midfielder's future, while Newcastle will actively attempt to offload Albert Luque following his weekend criticism of his club manager in the Spanish media.

The 28-year-old, who started just six league matches during a disastrous maiden campaign on Tyneside, blamed Roeder for his failure to win a place in Spain's World Cup squad. It is likely to be the final straw.

Sevilla are keen to take Luque back to La Liga, while sources in Spain last night credited Real Zaragoza and Atletico Madrid with an interest in the £9.5m misfit.

Like Boumsong, another of Graeme Souness' expensive signings, Luque looks surplus to requirements at St James's Park as Roeder tries to construct a squad capable of re-establishing the club back amongst the Premiership elite.

£5.5m for Huth? £8.5m for Johnson?

Jesus wept. It's silly season again. Thought we'd seen the end of these ridiculous transfer fees.

142677[/snapback]

Well, we have.

He's after Upson. All we can afford. Younger. England cap(s) iinm? Fits all the criteria Roeder mentioned in the article about not wanting Campbell (which I'm personnally glad about ihta) apart from the lack of funds which we can all take as read.

Toontastic EKSCLOOSIV!

You heard it here first.

He's after Upson. All we can afford. Younger. England cap(s) iinm? Fits all the criteria Roeder mentioned in the article about not wanting Campbell (which I'm personnally glad about ihta) apart from the lack of funds which we can all take as read.

Toontastic EKSCLOOSIV!

You heard it here first.

142760[/snapback]

Won't be fit for about 8 months.

Any source for that snakey, or should I file it with the Hiddink for the Toon stories? :nufc:

142762[/snapback]

:D:(

The Hiddink stories were true. He came, tasted the cheese and said 'As it is off, so am I.' And he went. Have you not noticed the price of Edam and Gouda has plummeted as some fucker in n.e. England has flooded the market with second-hand fromage??

File the Upson story with the 'Manure will catch Chelsea' - circa Dec '05, 'Basle will knock out the Smogs' and 'Sunlun will stay up' predictions previously made by yours truly :D:( One day, one of these ridiculous predictions will come true and I will be the DADDY of the message boards with the mother of all 'I FUCKIN TOLD YOU SO!' statements, which seem to be a la mode these days with know-it-alls. :D

Roeder not interested:

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~834133,00.html

He does say that he has a few centre halfs earmarked as targets though, so at least we know he's thinking along the right lines.  So the stuff in the article SM posted above is basically a complete fabrication.

142693[/snapback]

Hmm, I don't know... I think we do have enough young central defenders in Taylor and Ramage and even in Bramble. What is lacking a class leader with some experience to guide those players. To be fair Moore wasn't too bad at the end, but I still don't think he has the necessary class. Someone like Campbell would still be good enough for at least another two seasons.

I agree.  Rather Campbell than some other young lad whose confidence we destroy.

142827[/snapback]

Totally agree, as well as players with talent and potential, experience is a massive factor in choosing players to take the club forward. A player like Campbell could bring a lot to the club, and I'm disapointed that we are distancing ourselves from him.