Massacre by US Troops in Iraq

Guest alex

Ok then it wasn't in 'cold blood' perhaps. I'd love to hear your arguments although I expect you to stick to what you're good at and just pour scorn on those of others.  :lol:

143241[/snapback]

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. :lol:

143250[/snapback]

As I suspected, nothing to contribute. If you're saying I don't give my point of view on here Zath, I think you're talking shite tbh. I can remember when you were a good poster. Sadly that was quite a long time ago.

143257[/snapback]

I said that I'd agreed with you guys, just that the arguments put forward (id est that Americans value American lives more and that it was a cold blooded reaction) were crap. Renton's argument in his last post is pretty much where I stand--it's pointless, counterproductive and most importantly, completely and totally wrong.

As for not being a 'good poster' any more, it seems that the major requirement for that is constantly being one here and frankly I no longer have the time to just sit and post all day. :rolleyes: Student days are over; now I work for the government.

143266[/snapback]

Scared your being monitored? :rolleyes:

143275[/snapback]

Scared nothing, I know for a fact that I'm being monitored. I also know that I'm the only person in the office who knows how to run four specialized programs, so they're prepared to give me a little leeway.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
Ok then it wasn't in 'cold blood' perhaps. I'd love to hear your arguments although I expect you to stick to what you're good at and just pour scorn on those of others.  :lol:

143241[/snapback]

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. :lol:

143250[/snapback]

As I suspected, nothing to contribute. If you're saying I don't give my point of view on here Zath, I think you're talking shite tbh. I can remember when you were a good poster. Sadly that was quite a long time ago.

143257[/snapback]

I said that I'd agreed with you guys, just that the arguments put forward (id est that Americans value American lives more and that it was a cold blooded reaction) were crap. Renton's argument in his last post is pretty much where I stand--it's pointless, counterproductive and most importantly, completely and totally wrong.

As for not being a 'good poster' any more, it seems that the major requirement for that is constantly being one here and frankly I no longer have the time to just sit and post all day. :slap: Student days are over; now I work for the government.

143266[/snapback]

Scared your being monitored? :rolleyes:

143275[/snapback]

Scared nothing, I know for a fact that I'm being monitored. I also know that I'm the only person in the office who knows how to run four specialized programs, so they're prepared to give me a little leeway.

143285[/snapback]

It was a joke tbh :rolleyes: I take back the 'cold blooded' comment. It was merely the murder of a two year old.

Ok then it wasn't in 'cold blood' perhaps. I'd love to hear your arguments although I expect you to stick to what you're good at and just pour scorn on those of others.  :rolleyes:

143241[/snapback]

Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. :rolleyes:

143250[/snapback]

143257[/snapback]

As for not being a 'good poster' any more, it seems that the major requirement for that is constantly being one here and frankly I no longer have the time to just sit and post all day. :fuk: Student days are over; now I work for the government.

143266[/snapback]

Scared your being monitored? :lol:

143275[/snapback]

143285[/snapback]

It was a joke tbh :slap: I take back the 'cold blooded' comment. It was merely the murder of a two year old.

143290[/snapback]

I knew it was a joke... :lol:

Can anyone be surprised when an occupying force, in a country where the occupied are a different skin colour, religion and culture receive no empathy from the military?

Most infantry are not picked on their social or empathic skills, they are there to kill, oppress or protect the interests of their political masters.

It will justified in light of the july bombings here and the 9/11 attack in the US. A few token measures will be taken to preserve the appearance of fairness by the US but the only real change in policy will probably be stricter controls on the media so that people don't find out about what else they have done.

It's horrific but utterly predicatable as will be the response of blood thirsty bigots who say that these things can be 'justifiable' when committed by the west on anybody else but are acts of terrorism and extreme evil when committed by opposition.

143264[/snapback]

The strict media controls that the US implemented in Gulf War I resulted in 'bad' media coverage. That's why they came up with that 'imbed' program; by placing the journalists on the front line with the soldiers, they got to feel it first hand, and, in theory, connect more with the soldiers themselves. Media control is a bit late; public opinion has moved too far against the war for that to be an effective measure; it would result in bad press about the controls.

The further issue is that this was a group of Marines, who are allegedly more highly trained than the average infantry unit. They're supposed to display a higher level of discipline.

143281[/snapback]

You don't think that the owners, who influence the editors, may have an agenda?

Edited by ChocChip

Can anyone be surprised when an occupying force, in a country where the occupied are a different skin colour, religion and culture receive no empathy from the military?

Most infantry are not picked on their social or empathic skills, they are there to kill, oppress or protect the interests of their political masters.

It will justified in light of the july bombings here and the 9/11 attack in the US. A few token measures will be taken to preserve the appearance of fairness by the US but the only real change in policy will probably be stricter controls on the media so that people don't find out about what else they have done.

It's horrific but utterly predicatable as will be the response of blood thirsty bigots who say that these things can be 'justifiable' when committed by the west on anybody else but are acts of terrorism and extreme evil when committed by opposition.

143264[/snapback]

The strict media controls that the US implemented in Gulf War I resulted in 'bad' media coverage. That's why they came up with that 'imbed' program; by placing the journalists on the front line with the soldiers, they got to feel it first hand, and, in theory, connect more with the soldiers themselves. Media control is a bit late; public opinion has moved too far against the war for that to be an effective measure; it would result in bad press about the controls.

The further issue is that this was a group of Marines, who are allegedly more highly trained than the average infantry unit. They're supposed to display a higher level of discipline.

143281[/snapback]

I wasn't aware a strong humanitarian outlook was a pre-requisite.

143264[/snapback]

143281[/snapback]

You don't think that the owners, who influence the editors, may have an agenda?

143310[/snapback]

They do, but agendas are pretty varied.

E.g. There's a guy who owns Hubbard Broadcasting who lives in town, they're the ones who broke the story about the missing and raided weapons locker a couple of years ago--the guy is the biggest contributor to the Republican Party in the state.

143264[/snapback]

143281[/snapback]

I wasn't aware a strong humanitarian outlook was a pre-requisite.

143318[/snapback]

I was focusing on the discipline aspect; they ought to be able to better control themselves/their unit.

Unfortunately this is what happens in war situations - innocent people killed, normal human beings turned into killers

143354[/snapback]

At least in the past there have been wars with positive aims and causes to go some where to justify tragedies like this, but in this case it just adds further insult to injury of this pathetic military campaign.

Just thought I'd add that I thought GF's response there was particularly cretinous.

143096[/snapback]

Basically advocating double standards, let's let these fellas off while were at it. They were probably having a bad day :rolleyes:

143098[/snapback]

It is double standards and blatent racism to an extent. Clearly the average American does not think the life of an Iraqi and an American are equal, and while that prejudice exists, there can be no peace.

Mind, I'm obviously a sandalista. :lol:

143099[/snapback]

How ? I think he is being realistic, which is obviously beyond the do gooders, as usual.

No idea of the pressure soldiers are under. Condemn the soldiers, but understand those who are cowards and kill innocents then run away without showing who they are.

Shoot first or be shot first .......

Racism my arse.

The flippancy of the remark was borne out of my outrage at what has happened and the apparent justification for it/advocacy of double standards from GF rather than thinking it's not difficult over there for the armed forces.

Of course they're under enormous pressure and they have an awful job to do. Also, a roadside bomb had just killed one of their colleagues. Nothing however comes close to justifying what they did and I feel they must take the ultimate responsibility rather than their commanding officers. On a wider note, the politicians who put the troops into this impossible situation are the ones who really should take the blame for what is happening over there in general.

143127[/snapback]

ultimate in naivety

Unfortunately this is what happens in war situations - innocent people killed, normal human beings turned into killers

143354[/snapback]

Sadly, that is spot on.

The flippancy of the remark was borne out of my outrage at what has happened and the apparent justification for it/advocacy of double standards from GF rather than thinking it's not difficult over there for the armed forces.

Of course they're under enormous pressure and they have an awful job to do. Also, a roadside bomb had just killed one of their colleagues. Nothing however comes close to justifying what they did and I feel they must take the ultimate responsibility rather than their commanding officers. On a wider note, the politicians who put the troops into this impossible situation are the ones who really should take the blame for what is happening over there in general.

143127[/snapback]

ultimate in naivety

143509[/snapback]

How do you justify killing a two year old kid then Leazes?

An Iraqi child said that there was a knock on their door, his father went to answer it and the US marines shot him through the door, and again when they were inside.

Fucking sickening to think this is the sort of thing which is an everyday occurence in Iraq at the moment. The sooner they pull the troops out the better.

I would have even less respect for the current adminstration if they pulled out of Iraq now.

To go into someone's country, totally fuck it up, leave it on the brink of civil war and then leg it would be pathetic and indefensible.

To go into someone's country, totally fuck it up, leave it on the brink of civil war and then leg it would be pathetic and indefensible.

143517[/snapback]

Several countries in South and Central America.

Vietnam/Cambodia

Iraq the first time around leaving the "resistance" to die.

Whats that thing about being doomed to repeat mistakes?

143127[/snapback]

ultimate in naivety

143509[/snapback]

How do you justify killing a two year old kid then Leazes?

143511[/snapback]

This I would love him to answer.

how do you justify killing anyone Gemmil?it's war it's not diplomacy, it's not subtle and safe. It's horrific and wrong and terrible. I'm just fed up with peoples indignation at the sad, but blatant, fact that unspeakable things happen at war.

it's a terrible thing that people die, of course it is, but I refuse to happily throw insults, and blame at people who are trying to do an impossible task, with no support from home and resistance away.

of course we shouldn't have gone in, but it's easy to say that now, what we should be saying is, we shouldn't sell weapons or give assistance to people simply with the short term gain in mind. We shouldn't enforce "democracy", we should nurture it. There will not be a stable Middle East in my life time, there isn't the education and infrastructure to harbour democracy and the petty despots will squabble over dirt because they still cling to outdated theologies and beliefs.

but lets not get out panties in a bunch about the political debacle that has made this situation apparent, no lets instead focus upon the horrific acts carried out in it's name.

I love that we can all say that if we were in that suituation, (either joined up to patriotically serve out country, or been forced into the military through lack of opportunities) that we would be able to effortlessly decide which arabian-featured man was an enemy and which was a civilian. I love that we can all indicate through our revulsion at these acts, that we'd somehow be able to dettach ourselves from the feelings of rage and betrayal.

It's remarkable to me that we hold our soldiers to higher standards than we do theirs. We almost seem blase when a man walks into a store and massacres 20 or so innocent countrymen, deliberately.... to make a point...

the comment about Hussein I stand by, any man who does what he has done... does not, in my eyes, deserve the rights and privileges afforded to men of stature. Prison will not be punishment, and this court will take years to decide upon the fate of a genocidal bigot... when really a rank and file marine could have saved the world a whole lot of time, money and pain by squeezing back that trigger.

I'd say the same for Pol pot, Mugabe et al. But fortunately for them we won't invade as they have no oil.