Luque In The Mirror

LeazesMag

Luque in the mirrorMay 31 2006

By Lee Ryder, The Evening Chronicle

John Beresford has told £9.5m forward Albert Luque to look in the mirror if he wants to find out the real reason why he isn't going to the World Cup.

Bez has hit back at Luque over the Spaniard's claim that Glenn Roeder and Newcastle United cost him his place in Spain's squad.

The former United full-back says that the player's form for United left coach Luis Aragones with no choice but to omit him from his plans.

Luque had not appeared for Spain since last September, and although he lost his place long before Roeder was installed as caretaker manager, he still claimed "problems" with his manager led to him not going to the World Cup.

Now Beresford feels that ex-Real Mallorca and Deportivo la Coruna striker Luque needs to take a reality check.

He said today: "The only reason he is not going to Germany is because he has not been performing and because of it, he has not been in the team as much.

"Spain is not a million miles away from England and the Premiership is the most watched League in Europe and across the world, so if he had been performing he would have been in.

"I know he has had a few problems with injury and settling in but one goal in 18 appearances says it all - and that's why he isn't going to the World Cup.

"It's got nothing to do with Glenn Roeder or anybody else - it is down to the player."

Beresford is certainly no stranger to overseas stars in black-and-white shirts after working successfully with Phillipe Albert, Tino Asprilla, David Ginola and Temuri Ketsbaia during his time on Tyneside.

He added: "Overseas players can certainly be a little more temperamental but most of the lads I worked with all put in some good performances and realised it all comes with a bit of hard work.

"I've worked with skilled players like Peter Beardsley and Matt Le Tissier and they all still knew that you need the hard work to go with that - it's quite simple.

"Look at Scott Parker - he isn't going to the World Cup but he isn't moaning.

"I think Luque has a lot to prove next year if he comes back."

Beresford is certainly not against the idea of Luque helping to fill the void left by Alan Shearer and was encouraged to see the Spaniard net in the Toon legend's testimonial against Celtic, to go with his first strike in England against Sunderland.

Beresford says: "I remember when we first signed Albert from Depor last summer and I spoke to Gerry Armstrong, who covers Spanish football on TV.

"He told me he has stacks of ability and a real eye for goal.

"He also told me he is a good lad and there is no reason why that has changed.

"However, in England you need to show appetite for the game and once Albert appreciates that he will see why he has struggled.

"You have to get on with the fight.

"Albert is a lucky guy, he has a great chance to shine with Newcastle and he should take it.

"I know Glenn is an open and honest man and I am told from the inside he will be prepared to sit down and talk about things with any player.

"It really is up to Albert to make things work at Newcastle United."

They also say teams mirror their managers, well the arsehole certainly knows his excuses as well

It's strange really. Luque seems to have become a different person since moving to this country.

143451[/snapback]

To much pressure on being Robert's replacement tbh

Guest CrimsonFault
Beresford's spot on imo. Would still like us to give him another season after spending so much on him though

143458[/snapback]

No more seasons tbh. He can fuck off now the stupid fucking over-rated big lanky Spanish left-footed big lanky and over-rated Spanish fuck up.

Beresford's spot on imo. Would still like us to give him another season after spending so much on him though

143458[/snapback]

No more seasons tbh. He can fuck off now the stupid fucking over-rated big lanky Spanish left-footed big lanky and over-rated Spanish fuck up.

143485[/snapback]

Sometimes, you just need to swear like fuck to really put the point across properly

143458[/snapback]

143485[/snapback]

:lol:

i'd give him until january - he could really blossom now that shearer isnt there.

trouble is, if he doesnt perform and we keep him til the end of the season then we'd be lucky to get 3 or 4m for him.

i'd say january, his reputation might still be worth 5 - 6m

Earlier this week I happened to defend Luque for his behaviour, I guess because I'm quite biased towards him.

I share your oppinion to be honest, pull his weight or sell him off, as much as I want him to make it here in Newcastle.

Let him try til January, if hes still being an arse about playing here, set him on the next ship to spain.

To be fair to Luque, he never said that he wasn't going to the World Cup because of problems with Roeder. He said himself that he hasn't performed and that he knows Aragones doesn't rate him as much as he rates others who play in similar positions.

Beresford can fuck off anyway, the way he continued to stick up for Souness until the end was embarrassing.

Newcastle's Spanish forward Albert Luque has played down speculation of a possible return to the Primera Liga.

Luque has been tipped by the Spanish media as a possible replacement for Henrik Larsson at Barcelona.

However, the 28-year-old, who joined Newcastle from Deportivo La Coruna last summer, insists he has no intention of leaving St James Park.

"I am happy here and Newcastle are counting on me," Luque told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.

"I have no need to move clubs."

Barcelona-born Luque is an ardent Barca fan, but believes he would struggle to get a place in the starting line-up at either the Nou Camp or Real Madrid.

"It's very difficult to earn a starting place at Barca or Real Madrid because they are the best teams in the world," he said.

"With players like Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Lionel Messi it's very difficult to be in Barca's starting 11."

Guest CrimsonFault
Newcastle's Spanish forward Albert Luque has played down speculation of a possible return to the Primera Liga.

Luque has been tipped by the Spanish media as a possible replacement for Henrik Larsson at Barcelona.

However, the 28-year-old, who joined Newcastle from Deportivo La Coruna last summer, insists he has no intention of leaving St James Park.

"I am happy here and Newcastle are counting on me," Luque told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.

"I have no need to move clubs."

Barcelona-born Luque is an ardent Barca fan, but believes he would struggle to get a place in the starting line-up at either the Nou Camp or Real Madrid.

"It's very difficult to earn a starting place at Barca or Real Madrid because they are the best teams in the world," he said.

"With players like Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Lionel Messi it's very difficult to be in Barca's starting 11."

143638[/snapback]

FUCK OFF YOU BIG LANKY OVER-RATED BASTARD. PISS OFF. JUST FUCKING PISS OFF!

"I am happy here and Newcastle are counting on me,"

I hope, having read that, that the Luque nay-sayers will repent and join me in campaigning for his knighthood.

Guest CrimsonFault
CrimsonFault's well-thought out view are always welcome.

143643[/snapback]

If I never put 'over-rated' in I would have been banned for abuse.