Roeder - Peter's Going Nowhere

Scottish Mag

GLENN Roeder says he has no intentions of allowing Peter Ramage to leave St. James' Park despite speculation linking the defender with Watford.

Ramage played 30 consecutive games last season after breaking into the side in October, but he finished the campaign on the sidelines with Titus Bramble and Craig Moore playing well at the heart of defence and Stephen Carr in possession of the right back berth.

And with Roeder making no secret of the fact he is on the look-out for another defender, Adrian Boothroyd's newly-promoted Hornets are rumoured to be tempted to make a move in the hope that Ramage could be allowed to leave.

But Roeder is a big admirer of the Ashington-born 21-year old, and was full of praise for Ramage's attitude when he volunteered to turn out for the reserves after losing his place in the first team picture.

The United boss told nufc.co.uk: "I saw the speculation linking Rammy with Watford in the newspapers this morning, but that's all it is - speculation.

"I certainly wouldn't encourage anyone to come in for Peter, he showed last season that he can do a job for us and he has a future here with us at Newcastle United."

Ramage reminds me a bit of Caldwell. He could defend one way pretty well, but didn't have the range of abilities to challenge a range of opponents. Caldwell would be fine against a big target man, but in pieces against a little nippy player.

While I think Ramage is the better player, I still don't see him as up to scratch to play regularly. If there was decent money on the table and we could bring in a reasonable backup on a free, then we could put those funds to strengthening the first-team slots. We should be releasing as much cash as possible from our 'squad' players to fill the gaping holes in the first team.