Roeder appoints Bond as assistant

Jimbo

Bond named as Roeder's assistant

Newcastle have appointed Portsmouth assistant manager Kevin Bond as number two to new boss Glenn Roeder.

Bond will link up with the Magpies in time for pre-season training in July, according to BBC Radio Solent.

"It's mixed emotions, having to leave Portsmouth," admitted Bond. "Newcastle have been huge under-achievers and there are great expectation levels.

"That in itself is going to be a pressure, but it is definitely one that I am really looking forward to."

Bond returned to Pompey to rejoin manager Harry Redknapp in January and he says leaving Redknapp will be a hugh wrench.

"Probably the biggest decision that I faced was leaving Harry Redknapp," added Bond.

"Harry has been absolutely fantastic to me over the last six or seven years.

"He told me he was disappointed to be losing me, but he understood that it is an exciting challenge for me."

Roeder has finalised his backroom team now, with Tommy Craig remaining in charge of the reserve team and Terry McDermott now assisting chief scout David Mills.

United also appointed Roddy McDonald as the full-time Club Doctor on Wednesday, with the Scotsman - who worked at United before moving to Celtic in 1999 - returning to St. James' Park.

The only position that needs to be filled now is that of Academy Director, and Roeder revealed on nufc.co.uk yesterday that "three or four names" are in the frame for that role and he expects to be in a position to make an announcement later this month.