Chopra off to Cardiff

Gemmill

Chopra to sign for Cardiff

Jun 2 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Michael chopra is ready to turn his back on Newcastle United and join Cardiff City.

Glenn Roeder is happy for the 22-year-old striker to stay at St James' Park, and has offered him a new 12-month contract when his current deal runs out at the end of this month.

I hear that United are ready to make Chopra a better offer, but I get the impression this is not about money but about the chances of the striker getting regular first-team football.

Burnley have also dangled a 12-month deal in front of Chopra (pictured left), but the lure of a three-year contract has convinced the young striker to head off to Wales.

This will leave United and Cardiff to sort out some sort of compensation, and I understand an offer has already been made from Ninian Park.

But with Chopra having only started seven Premiership games in his career on Tyneside, it will not be a lot.

Chopra has been on the first-team scene at St James' Park since 2002-3, but those seven starts just about sums up how things have turned out for him.

But it was when he came off the bench that Chopra had his greatest moment, with the equaliser against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Easter Monday - and no-one will ever be able to take this away from him.

The departure of Chopra and the retirement of Alan Shearer effectively leaves United with just three strikers at this moment in time, in Michael Owen, Shola Ameobi and Albert Luque.

And there is a huge question mark over whether Luque will still be at St James' Park for the start of the new season. In my view, the chances are that he will return to Spain.

United have been linked with Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen, but my information is that the Icelandic international will not be arriving at St James' Park, where he always seems to play well.

Look at the bits in bold man. Just give us the facts you dickhead.

I see Gary Caldwell has gone to Celtic btw on a Bosman. Didn't warrant its own thread tbh :lol:

144182[/snapback]

As good as, if not better, than Ramage IMO.

Whilst he may never have been good enough for us I was surprised to always hear that he was the better of the two Caldwells, yet Stevie got all the chances and Gary never got a look in whilst with us.

good luck to chopra - yet another young player who has fulfilled his potential.

144174[/snapback]

*insert shitty comment about Ameobi regarding his lack of potential