Bowyer to the Hammers for 500k?

Scottish Mag

From the Mirror

WEST HAM will this weekend try to sign Lee Bowyer in a deal worth £500,000. Hammers chief Alan Pardew has approached Newcastle about signing Bowyer, who was at Upton Park for six months in 2003.

Newcastle are holding out for £750,000, with manager Glenn Roeder saying Bowyer still has a future at St James' Park. But Roeder needs to sell stars and lighten the wage bill before making big signings for Toon this summer.

Guest CrimsonFault
500k?

What a joke

144459[/snapback]

Hardly, half a million who has not put a decent shift in in the past two seasons is good enough for me. About time we made a profit, too.

Edited by CrimsonFault

500k?

What a joke

144459[/snapback]

Hardly, half a million who has not put a decent shift in in the past two seasons is good enough for me. About time we made a profit, too.

144462[/snapback]

I'd value him at about 1.5

Guest CrimsonFault
500k?

What a joke

144459[/snapback]

144462[/snapback]

144465[/snapback]

When he's at his best, he's worth that, the last time he was at his best was probably in his Leeds days. Nobody is going to spend £1.5m on him if you judge him on his performances on the past seasons - £500k is about right imo. Well done Glenn.

500k?

What a joke

144459[/snapback]

144462[/snapback]

144465[/snapback]

With Bowyer (and probably Butt too) it's a case of getting the massive wages off the books more than getting a "fair" fee. His contract is up at the end of next season aswell.

500k?

What a joke

144459[/snapback]

144462[/snapback]

144465[/snapback]

With Bowyer (and probably Butt too) it's a case of getting the massive wages off the books more than getting a "fair" fee. His contract is up at the end of next season aswell.

144469[/snapback]

Exactly. There are too many fringe players on good first team wages. Bowyer has only produced something like a handful of good performances in a Newcastle shirt. So getting him off the wage bill is a good thing to balance out the wage structure. And wit Dyer sitting on his enormous wages means that I would have no problem in letting him go for a ridiculous small fee as well, even on a free transfer Newcastle probably would make a profit...

500k?

What a joke

144459[/snapback]

144462[/snapback]

144465[/snapback]

144469[/snapback]

Exactly. There are too many fringe players on good first team wages. Bowyer has only produced something like a handful of good performances in a Newcastle shirt. So getting him off the wage bill is a good thing to balance out the wage structure. And wit Dyer sitting on his enormous wages means that I would have no problem in letting him go for a ridiculous small fee as well, even on a free transfer Newcastle probably would make a profit...

144479[/snapback]

you know he is right just because we don't sell high the wages these "under-performers" get we are saving money and probably making a profit

Guest CrimsonFault
I hope he goes too, but i cant see West ham being able to afford his wages :lol:

144487[/snapback]

Bowyer will probably take a pay-cut to join the team he supported as a kid.

Actually, coming to think of it, no he won't.

He'd take a drop in wages if West Ham offered him a 3-year-deal.

No-one's going to match what he's on here anyway and he won't be staying beyond next summer regardless so chances are he'll take the cut for longer-term security.

Why make a paper-thin squad any thinner to make a silly profit of 500K? :lol:

That would be extremely bad business IMHO.

As I see it we only have Parker, Emre (injury-prone), Faye (on his way to Pompey), Clark (way past his best), Dyer (no comments), Pattison (young and unexperienced), Butt (???), Milner (on his way to Villa), N'Zogbia (much better as a winger) and Bowyer capable of playing in the centre mid.

We need to get our attack (2 new strikers) and backs (left and right) sorted before we strengthen the midfield.

And NO, we don't have £30m to blow in the summer!

Edited by janu

144599[/snapback]

It's not about fees, but wages. We could probably get two decent players in for Bowyer's wedge.

144599[/snapback]

It's not about fees, but wages. We could probably get two decent players in for Bowyer's wedge.

144602[/snapback]

Very simplictic mathematics. Getting rid off Bowyer, Butt and Dyer, who are on something like 150k per week together, would reduce the annual wage bill by something close to 8m. All those players have contributed very little to first team fortunes over the last years. So the money was more less thrown out of the window. Those players can get easily replaced by players who earn much less. And the saving in wages would actually help to fund the transfer fees for these players.

That would be extremely bad business IMHO.

As I see it we only have Parker, Emre (injury-prone), Faye (on his way to Pompey), Clark (way past his best), Dyer (no comments), Pattison (young and unexperienced), Butt (???), Milner (on his way to Villa), N'Zogbia (much better as a winger) and Bowyer capable of playing in the centre mid.

We need to get our attack (2 new strikers) and backs (left and right) sorted before we strengthen the midfield.

And NO, we don't have £30m to blow in the summer!

144599[/snapback]

144599[/snapback]

144602[/snapback]

Any suggestions?

Bowyer clearly wants to return to Laaaarndon, so he'll probably take a pay cut in order to make the move, he's obviously on a fair wack as he was a free agent when we signed him.

Bowyer clearly wants to return to Laaaarndon, so he'll probably take a pay cut in order to make the move, he's obviously on a fair wack as he was a free agent when we signed him.

144635[/snapback]

I've never really understood why if a player signs on a free this usually means they are on increased wage.

144599[/snapback]

144602[/snapback]

Very simplictic mathematics. Getting rid off Bowyer, Butt and Dyer, who are on something like 150k per week together, would reduce the annual wage bill by something close to 8m. All those players have contributed very little to first team fortunes over the last years. So the money was more less thrown out of the window. Those players can get easily replaced by players who earn much less. And the saving in wages would actually help to fund the transfer fees for these players.

144604[/snapback]

I get your point, and while I would be thrilled if THAT happened and we got £8m to spend on new midfielders, I don’t think it’s that simple.

Seriously, do you really think we will get rid of Dyer this summer?

If not, that’s £4m (70-80k per week) to take off that calculation.

My point is that we can’t afford to let Bowyer go because:

1) We don’t have enough cover in central midfield as it is - selling one more isn’t going to help - unless you're a big fan of Faye. :lol:

2) Our transfer-budget won’t allow us to spend big on midfielders – our attack and defence must be sorted before anything else.

Would love to hear what players you have in mind?

144635[/snapback]

I've never really understood why if a player signs on a free this usually means they are on increased wage.

144641[/snapback]

Well, that's the way it works in Football Manager :lol:

If a player can leave on a "free" (no transfer involved) he's in a better position to negotiate a contract with the new club => increased wages.

We have to discount Dyer, because it's easier than trying to work with him assuming he's fit. Faye is godawful and on the way out, Clark is semi-retired and Butt will go if we can find a buyer. The leaves us very little in the way of centre-mid first team, never mind backup. Basically Parker, Emre and potentially Pattison emerging.

If it weren't for the fact he's a crock, David Thompson would have been a reasonable squad addition. Looks like he's heading back to the first division. When Wigan came up here here showed that when fit, he really is a Premiership player.

Realistically, we have to be looking to either young talent from the football league or leagues abroad because we'll be actively looking to reduce the wage bill with the striker search in mind.

I can't give you lists of players because I've barely seen any action from the FL or abroad this season gone. What i do know is that the club need to free up some wage space and fast, even if its not by selling the top 'sale' players like Boumsong, Faye and Luque.

I do agree with Matt here (again). The players we are looking for don't have to be established first team players, but players who give depth to the squad and ideally are young potentials who might develop in quality first team players (without already being paid like some). So it's not like buying expensive first team performers from our rivals, but looking for talent like we did with Ambrose and N'Zogbia, who are prime examples for players from lower domestic leagues and abroad. Another option might be to take players on load, e.g. from Chelea's well stocked squad.

And if we go for first team performers, especially from abroad, we have to stop throwing away silly money and start to act more clever. I only can point at what Hamburger SV where doing here in Jormany. They bought the likes of van der Vaart, van Buyten, Boularouz and de Jong for a combined fee of 10-12m Euro (!). Newcastle paid 18m GBP for two useless donkeys in Boumsong and Luque...

And I am not going to start to name names Football Manager style. I am about the transfer philosophy and correcting the wage structure in general.