Police Hunt Chemical Device

LeazesMag

Raid police hunt chemical device 

The search is expected to take several days

Scene of raid 

Police are hunting for a chemical device after anti-terror officers carried out an armed raid that led to two arrests and a man being shot.

The 23-year-old suspect shot during the terrorism operation in Forest Gate, East London, is recovering in hospital under armed guard.

His brother, 20, is being held at Paddington Green police station.

Security sources told the BBC they had had intelligence there was a "viable" chemical device in the house.

They believe something harmful and toxic could still be at the property.

According to BBC Home Affairs correspondent Margaret Gilmore they do not believe it would be a sophisticated bomb, but a homemade device.

POLICE SHOOTING GUIDELINES

Police officers can shoot "to stop an imminent threat to life"

A firearms officer should identify themselves and give an oral warning of intent to shoot

Officers should not fire warning shots except in "most serious and exceptional" circumstances

Shots should be aimed at the central body mass

The Operation Kratos [shoot-to-kill] policy allows officers to shoot at the head without warning if they believe the suspect may detonate a bomb

Kratos does not require police to see a "suicide jacket" before opening fire

Profile: The IPCC 

The BBC has learned that the suspects are Abdul Kahar, who was shot, and Abdul Koyar, who are both of Bangladeshi origin.

A single shot was fired, according to the Independent Police Complaints Commission, which will continue to investigate over the weekend.

One line of inquiry is that there was a struggle with police and a gun went off accidentally, says BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw.

The raid was not carried out under Operation Kratos, the shoot-to-kill policy, Scotland Yard said.

A family from an adjoining house detained by police after the raid later released a statement saying they were "in no way involved in any terrorist activity".

They also claimed they were physically assaulted and were consulting lawyers over possible action.

The statement said: "We would like to express our deep shock and anger at the operation that took place.

"My family members and I were physically assaulted. I received serious head injuries that required hospital treatment."

Some officers wore bio-chemical suits and carried gas masks in the search of the terraced house in Lansdown Road.

Air exclusion zone

The go-ahead for the raid came after discussions between MI5, the anti-terrorist branch, and bio-chemical experts from the Health Protection Agency which advises on the potential health risks.

An air exclusion zone was imposed around the scene, banning aircraft from flying below 2,500ft above the site.

But local residents were not evacuated, either because the threat of explosions was not deemed serious enough or police did not want to alert the suspects.

See an aerial view of the area surrounding the raided house

Friday's operation was not linked to the London bombings of July 2005, police have said.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Clarke, head of the Met's anti-terror branch, said the operation was planned in response to "specific intelligence".

"Because of the very specific nature of the intelligence we planned an operation that was designed to mitigate any threat to the public either from firearms or from hazardous substances," he said.

He said the purpose of the raid was to prove or disprove intelligence they had received.

Surveillance operation

BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford described it as the most significant anti-terror operation this year.

Mr Kahar was arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism as he was being treated at the Royal London hospital.

Officers from M15 had been watching a group of British young people of Bangladeshi origin for weeks, Margaret Gilmore said.

Their e-mails, phone calls and movements were logged and the suspicion was they were planning a terrorist attack in the UK.

Intelligence officers did not link them with any other group of suspects but thought they were acting alone.

She said by Thursday they were convinced there could be a bomb in the East London house.

Roads closed

The search of the premises is expected to take several days.

A tent has been set up outside the property, a two-storey screen has been erected around the building and neighbouring roads are closed.

Several people in the house at the time of the raid were moved to other premises. They have not been arrested.

One eyewitness said officers smashed a window to gain access

The IPCC said it would use its own investigators to "examine the circumstances surrounding the discharge of a police firearm".

It investigated the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes by police at Stockwell Tube station, the day after the failed 21 July bombings.

In the case of Mr Menezes, officers were operating under the shoot-to-kill policy Operation Kratos.

Residents said Forest Gate was a typical east London "mixed" community with a large number of Bengali and Pakistani families, along with a recent influx of Eastern Europeans.

The obvious solution to stop the escalation of this sort of thing in the UK, is to continue leaving our borders open, allowing people to flout our immigration laws,

give them a good life allowing them to live the way they choose with no respect for our own traditions and cultures, and to hold an urgent debate with the captives to try and find out where these weapons are. A nice cup of tea, and a friendly chat, with the promise of allowing their relations into the country to come and live with them, should do the trick.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In LM's world no Briton has ever committed a crime.

How odd.

144519[/snapback]

We will see if this bomb is planted by a Briton or not first eh ?

Which if it goes off somewhere, will mean people possibly dead at the hands of someone who shouldn't be here. Then what ?

Whats YOUR solution ?

Edited by LeazesMag

How odd.

144519[/snapback]

Which if it goes off somewhere, will mean people possibly dead at the hands of someone who shouldn't be here. Then what ?

Whats YOUR solution ?

144521[/snapback]

Firstly, as far as I can make out, no bomb was planted.

Secondly, the suspects sound like they ARE British:

Officers from M15 had been watching a group of British young people of Bangladeshi origin for weeks, Margaret Gilmore said.

Thirdly, as far as I am aware, the only islamic terrorists that have successfully operated in this country were British (7/7 bombings).

Leazes Mag, toontastic's very own Enoch Powell. :lol:

How odd.

144519[/snapback]

Whats YOUR solution ?

144521[/snapback]

Thirdly, as far as I am aware, the only islamic terrorists that have successfully operated in this country were British (7/7 bombings).

144532[/snapback]

Renton, toontastics own chemical/comical Ali, who thinks the country is not in danger from an unseen enemy, so defends them for all he's worth

How odd.

144519[/snapback]

Whats YOUR solution ?

144521[/snapback]

144532[/snapback]

Renton, toontastics own chemical/comical Ali, who thinks the country is not in danger from an unseen enemy, so defends them for all he's worth

144535[/snapback]

FFS, I'm not defending anyone.

You, on the other hand, have yet again demonstrated your complete inability to read. :lol:

How am I like Chemical Ali again Leazes? Do you even know who this person is?

Chemical weapons don't work - its propganda to create an atmosphere of fear and to make the gullible hate muslims.

144536[/snapback]

They worked alright in Iraq, right ?

No good pretending the technology couldn't be perfected, rather than bury your head in the sand.

How odd.

144519[/snapback]

Whats YOUR solution ?

144521[/snapback]

144532[/snapback]

144535[/snapback]

You, on the other hand, have yet again demonstrated your complete inability to read. :lol:

144537[/snapback]

Do you know who Enoch Powell was, or have you just read about him ?

If you think this country isn't fighting a war against a dangerous unseen enemy and not protecting ourselves properly, you go ahead and delude yourself mate.

Chemical weapons don't work - its propganda to create an atmosphere of fear and to make the gullible hate muslims.

144536[/snapback]

No good pretending the technology couldn't be perfected, rather than bury your head in the sand.

144538[/snapback]

High spec chemical weapons were used effectively in Iraq to kill an immobilised civilian population. Guns or even clubs would have been just as effective in this situation.

Home-made chemicals are unlikely to be much of a threat - home-made explosives are much easier to make and much more effective. That's why they are being used by terrorists throughout the world.

Btw Leazes, as the vast majority of terrorist suspects in this country are realeased without charge, it might be an idea to wait and see what happens in this case before jumping the gun with your usual right wing bollocks.

144536[/snapback]

144538[/snapback]

Theres a diffenece between military dispersal techniques and a couple of nutters trying to put a terrorist weapon together - a bomb blows things up - the chemicals would go with it.

This has all the signs of that one where they sent tanks to Heathrow or the one where Old Trafford was "targetted" (no charges ever brought) - absolute propaganda fuelled bullshit.

I know there are people out there with the intent to do these things but we all know that your "final solution" to a relatively small problem is to ship out millions of people who happen to cotribute more to Britain than millions of "true" british.

Do you know who Enoch Powell was, or have you just read about him?

If you think this country isn't fighting a war against a dangerous unseen enemy and not protecting ourselves properly, you go ahead and delude yourself mate.

144539[/snapback]

:lol: This is now an unacceptable way to get your information.

How odd.

144519[/snapback]

Whats YOUR solution ?

144521[/snapback]

144532[/snapback]

144535[/snapback]

144537[/snapback]

Do you know who Enoch Powell was, or have you just read about him ?

144539[/snapback]

Yes, I know who Enoch Powell was, unlike you, who obviously don't know who Chemical Ali was.

As these suspects are likely to be british, are you proposing to send the entire asian population "back home", much like Enoch Powell?

Do you know who Enoch Powell was, or have you just read about him?

144539[/snapback]

:lol: This is now an unacceptable way to get your information.

144544[/snapback]

:lol:

Well Leazes was his best mate, obviously.

144536[/snapback]

144538[/snapback]

High spec chemical weapons were used effectively in Iraq to kill an immobilised civilian population. Guns or even clubs would have been just as effective in this situation.

Home-made chemicals are unlikely to be much of a threat - home-made explosives are much easier to make and much more effective. That's why they are being used by terrorists throughout the world.

Btw Leazes, as the vast majority of terrorist suspects in this country are realeased without charge, it might be an idea to wait and see what happens in this case before jumping the gun with your usual right wing bollocks.

144542[/snapback]

Funny Renton, I think you should acknowledge that this report, and others including real bombings, aren't a figment of someones imagination, thus making

the threat very real, rather than believing its a small thing and people who do such things can be negotiated with, which is your usual left wing do gooder naive bollocks.

144536[/snapback]

144538[/snapback]

Theres a diffenece between military dispersal techniques and a couple of nutters trying to put a terrorist weapon together - a bomb blows things up - the chemicals would go with it.

This has all the signs of that one where they sent tanks to Heathrow or the one where Old Trafford was "targetted" (no charges ever brought) - absolute propaganda fuelled bullshit.

I know there are people out there with the intent to do these things but we all know that your "final solution" to a relatively small problem is to ship out millions of people who happen to cotribute more to Britain than millions of "true" british.

144543[/snapback]

"Relatively small problem".....usual left wing head in the sand bollocks

144536[/snapback]

144538[/snapback]

144543[/snapback]

"Relatively small problem".....usual left wing head in the sand bollocks

144553[/snapback]

Relative to deporting a couple of million people (the majority of whom are citizens) I'd say it was small.

Leazes, what is your point? I acknowledge that some extremists have been accused of making a chemical device (whatever that might be), and that we will find out more about it in due course. Who am I defending? Once again, how am I like Chemical Ali? Please enlighten me.

Now, you were complaining that it was the work of foreigners or illegal immigrants. Please verify where you have got this information, I'm interested. Unless of course you mean that all asian people are foreigners, regardless of citzenship, which is what I suspect.

You know, I'm beginning to think that complicated issues like this might be beyond your comprehension, you seem to be having difficulty translating your obvious sense of outrage into any coherent argument. Now, can you just clearly an unambiguously state what you think should be done, for instance, do you think we should have enforced repatriation? Othewise there's little point in discussing things, is there?