National Anthem

Toonraider

isnt Land of Hope and Glory, the real English national anthem anyway?

144527[/snapback]

I dont know, i think it was sung for Rugby recently :lol: but i'd prefer it! I thought God save the Queen was the British national anthem anyway, good reason to change it!

Personally i like 'Jerusalem'

God save the queen has always been a dull, dire pile of shite which is the oppositte of what an "anthem" should be.

Land of hope and glory is far better for the purpose and is used when England compete in the commonwealth games so it should be used for all sports.

God save the queen has always been a dull, dire pile of shite which is the oppositte of what an "anthem" should be.

Land of hope and glory is far better for the purpose and is used when England compete in the commonwealth games so it should be used for all sports.

144533[/snapback]

yes, i thought we'd used it for some occasions, much more appropriate i think and more in touch with the England fans.

3 Lions is the obvious replacment tbh.

But seriously, God save the Queen is a fucking horrible anthem. For a start it isn't about the nation its about one person.

Edited by Bizza

isnt Land of Hope and Glory, the real English national anthem anyway?

144527[/snapback]

I agree, much better than that God save the queen horse shit.

It doesn't make sense for England to have the UK anthem representing them. Plus, as has been said, it is a dirge, and I would never sing it because it is basically a song supporting the monarchy, which I despise.

I don't like Land of hope and Glory either - it seems to old and stale. My vote would be for Jerusalem, or better still, for a new uplifting anthem to be composed.

God save the queen is shite. UK anthem yet it goes on about killing the scots, really uniting that.

England shouldn't be using it, Land of Hope and Glory is what i'd pick if was in charge.

God save the queen is shite. UK anthem yet it goes on about killing the scots, really uniting that.

England shouldn't be using it, Land of Hope and Glory is what i'd pick if was in charge.

144587[/snapback]

Only rebellious ones! :lol:

144587[/snapback]

Only rebellious ones! :lol:

144588[/snapback]

Still, doesn't metion owt about the rebellious English/Northern Irish/Welsh. They change the never sung sixth verse to take all the rebels into account, regardless of nationality. Or alternatively they could add 3 extra verses about the others.

:lol:

Ours IS slow and ponderous

but its short and it can be sung by anyone - just try the Yanks................

remeber this fromt eh last Rugby World Cup?

"Rugby – National Anthems – a loose translation

From the Guardian “Rugby World Cup Guide”

Argentina – The March of the Fatherland: Argentina is Free! Argentina is brilliant! And it is not just Argentineans who think so- everyone worth a damn agrees.

Australia – Advance Australia Fair: the inhabitants of Australia are young and free. They sing joyfully of their country which is comely and psychologically boundless though physically surrounded by water

Romania – Wake up Romania!: Romanians, the descendents of the Emperor Trajan, should be giving despots and barbarians a kicking – not taking a nap.

France – The Marseillaise: homicidal foreigners are flooding into the country, threatening civil liberties. Local children must rise up and kill them.

Scotland- Flower of Scotland: arrogant English bastards and their lackeys are sent away with bloody noses by plucky peace loving underdogs

USA – The Star Spangled Banner: a gaudy flag is admired as it flutters at the top of a pole in the middle of a dangerous firework display by the British Army

England- God Save the Queen: Citizens call on the Almighty to keep the female ruler in power for as long as humanely possible and help her win any competitions.

Canada –Oh Canada: Canada is in the north. It takes a long time to get from one side to the other. Everyone who lives there thinks its swell.

Italy- Song of Mameli: Italy has woken up and in order to preserve its integrity the citizens are prepared to meet death while wearing Roman helmets.

Tonga – God Watch Over Tonga: the Almighty may not be visible to the naked eye but we trust him to guard King Tupou nevertheless.

Wales – Land of My Fathers: this beautiful country may have been walked over by the arrogant English but its inhabitants still cherish harpists, poets, singer-songwriters and freedom"

Maybe Billy Connolly's suggestion of having the theme from the Archers as the National anthem would be the best option, it would certainly make the parade at the Olympics opening ceremony more interesting !

Guest alex
Maybe Billy Connolly's suggestion of having the theme from the Archers as the National anthem would be the best option, it would certainly make the parade at the Olympics opening ceremony more interesting !

145104[/snapback]

Preceded by the Shipping Forecast?