Toon in bargain Barton bid

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE are ready to make a controversial cut-price offer for Manchester City's Joey Barton.

Boss Glenn Roeder is working within a tight budget and - backed by chairman Freddy Shepherd -will submit a £1.5million bid for the midfielder who is in dispute with City.

Barton may be sold by Stuart Pearce's club because he has rejected a long-term contract offer. But City chairman John Wardle wants a figure closer to £5m for the home-grown star.

Newcastle think they are in a powerful bargaining position because Barton can leave for nothing in a year's time - and signs are that he is stubborn enough to hang on.

Roeder must shift some big earners to bring in the buys he wants, but Barton would be a major addition at a reasonable cost.

The Toon may let Amdy Faye go, with doubts about Turkish star Belozoglu Emre's long-term future and a possible exit for Lee Bowyer.

They are thin in central midfield if they lose a couple of those.

He's a decent player but an absolute twat of a person. £1.5mil would be a good price for him, but I wouldn't sign him. Wouldn't be gutted if we did mind. I just think signing him is asking for more off the pitch problems.

If you can get a good player on the cheap when you have our limited funds and squad lacking depth you should go for it.

Though it remains to be seen whether we are in for him, whether city will accept a cut price fee and whether any other clubs may come in and hike the price back up, so i'll not expect it to happen!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Guest Sima
Hope we get him, he seems to of learned his lesson regarding being a twat and is a class player

144768[/snapback]

Really? Since when? just as much of a cunt as ever if you ask me tbh

Hope we get him, he seems to of learned his lesson regarding being a twat and is a class player

144768[/snapback]

Really? Since when? just as much of a cunt as ever if you ask me tbh

144772[/snapback]

I might be wrong but since that cigar incident which was terrible he doesnt seem to have done much wrong