Absolutely totally awesome

Lazarus

Can someone who likes stuff like Def Leppard please explain to me why? Now I know music is a personal thing, but there are limits to my comprehension. My main problems are:

Lyrics. I have never heard a decent heavy metal lyric, ever. If you love the written word and all it subtle complexity then you should hate HM.

Music. I love guitars. But I also like melody. Screeching away at guitar with the volume turned to 11 does not constitute music in my ears.

The look. Jesus wept - it was naff 20 years ago and hasn't changed a bit since.

The cliches. This kind of ties in with my other points. Every thing in heavy metal is a cliche. Even the band names ffs - Slayer, Poison, Iron Maiden etc. Is there ever anything original in that genre, ever?

Basically you know you've got problems when a spoof documentary like "This is Spinal Tap" may as well be the real thing.

Any ideas anyone?

145020[/snapback]

well for starters, def Leppard are in no way and have never been heavy metal...more soft rock. Most of their stuff is/was naff...but like i said, i still like some of what they did. Tbf, you've probably only heard their 'hits' like the god awful 'pour some sugar' etc :lol::lol:

I dislike most heavy metal, as in Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera (sp) :rolleyes: To me thats just noise with no melody or harmony. And like you Renton, i cant grasp why people like such music.

But if you're including bands like metallica in your 'heavy metal' term, then i would disagree with that, their music has harmony, great guitar and strong lyrics...plus its stood the test of time and they've evolved with it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye well, like I said before, whatever floats your boat.

Mind, I would add that anything which encourages fully grown men to wear leggings and makeup is just wrong. :lol:

Guest alex
Alex blatantly exposing himself as an ex-Old Eldon Square (Metaller variety) squatter tbh.

145025[/snapback]

Wide of the mark. That's Renton the goth you're thinking of. :lol:

:lol:

By the way, FNM are practically the only metal band of recent times I liked. And even then I only went for their earlier stuff. They managed to avoid most of the metal cliches as well as managing to take the piss out of themselves. Quite like a bit of punk and liked a few of the Seattle bands (although come to think of it, Soundgarden were pure metal).

Iron Maiden are fucking shit by the way. :lol:

145026[/snapback]

That's who I was listening to in the pub when I came to my stunning conclusion. :lol:

Edited by Renton

Alex blatantly exposing himself as an ex-Old Eldon Square (Metaller variety) squatter tbh.

145025[/snapback]

Alex was in Trillians at the time.

Guest alex

145025[/snapback]

145030[/snapback]

I've been in there once like, Jesus was crying I can tell you. Satan was laughing too. :lol:

145025[/snapback]

145030[/snapback]

I've been in there once like, Jesus was crying I can tell you. Satan was laughing too. :lol:

145031[/snapback]

I was in there once to watch my old guitar teacher's band play. They were called For God's Sake. Jesus was beside himself.

Iron Maiden are fucking shit by the way. :lol:

145026[/snapback]

That's who I was listening to in the pub when I came to my stunning conclusion. :lol:

145029[/snapback]

Bring your daughter to the slaughter. Jesus H Metaller.

Guest alex
\nn/

145040[/snapback]

:lol: That signifies the number of the beast I believe. I don't mind old rockers/metallers like. They tend to be canny sound. I can't really take the piss as I've been to see Hawkwind twice (and enjoyed it) :lol:

Here's another two for your amusement: Skid Row and Mottley Crue :lol:

145034[/snapback]

:lol:

Isnt that more along the lines of glam rock, not heavy metal though?

Never liked Maiden much, though ive seen them. Bruce Dickinson doesnt/cant sing, he says the words!! Only track of theirs i really liked was wasted years. It seems to be trendy among kids now to like maiden and wear their Tshirts

As for Leppard, listening to most of their tracks now does make me cringe alittle :rolleyes: My fondness for them now is more associated with the memories i have of that time, the things i did, my mates etc etc.

Least Metallica have kept themselves ahead of the game, they have fans of all ages!

Edited by Toonraider

Guest alex
Here's another two for your amusement: Skid Row and Mottley Crue :lol:

145034[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Isnt that more along the lines of glam rock, not heavy metal though?

Never liked Maiden much, though ive seen them. Bruce Dickinson doesnt/cant sing, he says the words!! Only track of theirs i really liked was wasted years. It seems to be trendy among kids now to like maiden and wear their Tshirts

As for Leppard, listening to most of their tracks now does make me cringe alittle :lol: My fondness for them now is more associated with the memories i have of that time, the things i did, my mates etc etc.

Least Metallica have kept themselves ahead of the game, they have fans of all ages!

145043[/snapback]

If you get in Kerrang, you're metal :lol:

Toonraider is seething :lol:

145039[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Noo for the most part i agree.

Have to say the only old bands i still love and can listen to today are Led zep, Floyd, metallica and occasional sabbath or deep purple (though ozzys voice gets to me after awhile)!!

Hubby had me downloading some Uriah Heep for him the other day! Now even im too young for that :lol:

Edited by Toonraider

The music i really cant get is Rap  :lol:  :lol:

145050[/snapback]

I was going to back you up on the metal till you said that.

I don't see how people can dismiss an entire genre. All have good and bad sides to them. I don't think there's a genre I could say is entirely shit.