Taylor targets return

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor has set his sights on returning to action in the Intertoto Cup.

Taylor missed the second half of the season after suffering a recurrence of a shoulder injury in the Boxing Day defeat to Liverpool.

The England Under-21 international had a run-out in Alan Shearer's testimonial last month and he is raring to get back playing competitively.

Newcastle qualified for the Intertoto Cup on the last day of last season and Taylor sees the competition as the ideal preparation for him for next term.

"The Intertoto Cup's not far away, and I can't wait for pre-season," said Taylor.

"I'm already looking forward to getting back, as I missed so much of last season.

"The Intertoto Cup's a massive thing. We need to get into Europe - this club's massive and that's where we should be.

"There will probably be new players coming in to strengthen the team, and that can only help us.

"I'm ready to start again, to be honest, but I'll have a rest this summer and then I'll come back fresh and raring to go."

We've missed him this season.

Looking forward to him being back. grrr bloody souness.

145124[/snapback]

Yes, yet another embarassing and disgracefull incident under Souness' management.

Shall we get Taylor straight into an operation to completely fix his shoulder and have him back after one long lay off...no we'll make him have one long lay off with no op, come back, fuck his shoulder again because he plays centrehalf in a contact sport and we know its going to pop out its socket again and then make him have the op and yet another long lay off!

They basically cost a young lad most of his season, put him through far more pain and recovery than was ever needed and it was shocking.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Definitely one of Souness biggest fuckups that one.

Good to know he's on his way back. I think it may take him a little while to get back into the swing of things, but hope he's cool-headed and confident enough to do it sensibly. Shoulder injuries are shite and difficult to heal - we don't want him steaming in trying to prove himself only for it to be detrimental to him in the long-term.